TMCC : Forge Discussion

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
The performance meter looks to be very stressable. I'm curious where the limits are setteled. Probably at 650 pieces it turns red? I shall make a "tutorial" about this.
Why would you make a tutorial about something before you understand how it works? The meter measures performance, not object count. In forge, performance has always been based primarily on how many objects the game must render at any given time, with additional strain coming from things like explosions and other particle effects. If even a tiny portion of an object is visible to a player, that player's console must render said object inits entirety. Some objects will place more strain on the hardware than others based upon things like polygon count and detail (items with lights and glass were harder to render in Reach, for instance), but the raw number of objects rendered at any given time is the biggest factor here. Another thing to take into account is the game's impostering system where objects "imposter out" for less detailed (easier to render) versions at a distance. This means that at a distance, despite the player potentially having more objects in view and therefore rendering more objects at once, there may actually be less strain put on the hardware.

Now, that is how performance has worked in the past. This forge is based upon a modified version of the same engine, so there's no reason why it shouldn't work this way now. However, the way the meter reads performance is unclear as of yet. First of all, the meter is active in forge, meaning that it can not account for all of the player models, projectiles, and particles which are rendered in-game. However, there are several types of forge objects (respawn points, hill markers) which are invisible (are not rendered) in game which the meter is taking into account. So, this meter won't be a perfect representation of performance, merely an indicator. We'll have to see exactly how it reads performance once we get the game, then we can think about tutorials.

Reactions: Buddy

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Tutorial was the wrong word. That's because I put the quotes there. I should have said "Video showing the barriers of the new forge".
Seriously, why would I make a video of such thing if I don't know anything about it? Yeah....

But it was a good explanation of how rendering in Forge works. Thanks.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Three Forge canvases, all as big as FI. 60fps combined with Skyward is really blowing my mind... It would be an awesome map for making some sort of space station that "flows" right above a Halo ring to find out what's on it. Aesthetical.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Although the new Forge is great and all, I miss a big thing. I am highly dissapointed that they exluded the custom powerup where you could change settings how you wanted them to be... At least the three basic powerups are back.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2013
What are your thoughts on frame rate for some of the larger terrain and block pieces with Forge H2A?

And has anyone checked out Forge H3 to see if merge was added?

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
What are your thoughts on frame rate for some of the larger terrain and block pieces with Forge H2A?

And has anyone checked out Forge H3 to see if merge was added?
Merge was not added. :( Already checked. It's wierd, though. They said they would add it.

Frame rate: You might want to check out Turb's Lighting thread. ;) But yeah, I made a map with ~60 large cliffs aaannd the framerate drops a little bit if you look at certain directions. (Overall object count: 170)

By the way thanks, SixteenthMatt , for posting this! Great find!

Last edited:

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Although the new Forge is great and all, I miss a big thing. I am highly dissapointed that they exluded the custom powerup where you could change settings how you wanted them to be... At least the three basic powerups are back.

Aww really? That's a shame.

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
I'm assuming that one can make a trash compactor with crate larges and garage doors. Are there gravity volumes in H2:A Forge?

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Are there dominion pieces too, or did they exclude those? It will definitely affect the chance of me remaking some of my maps from Halo 4 once I've finally saved enough money to buy an Xbox One.

Last edited:

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
Are there dominion pieces too, or did they exclude those? It will definitely affect the chance of me remaking some of my maps from Halo 4 once I've finally saved enough money to buy an Xbox One.
RemKings your progressive flood maps are possible without modding now, also there is bomb flood, where you have to carry a bomb to certain points in flood. As you stressed before on trying to get teamwork around turrets now you can around a bomb. But no there is no Dominion pieces. But you can make working elevator that go up and down one floor with a switch.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
RemKings your progressive flood maps are possible without modding now, also there is bomb flood, where you have to carry a bomb to certain points in flood. As you stressed before on trying to get teamwork around turrets now you can around a bomb. But no there is no Dominion pieces. But you can make working elevator that go up and down one floor with a switch.

Oww why would they remove those? There's so much stuff you can build with them aesthetically! Especially the wires, those were my favourite Forge pieces. :(

But I know about Flight and the elevator, that's surely going to be awesome. I just wish I still had those lovely aesthetical pieces from the Dominion section at my disposal...

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
Oww why would they remove those? There's so much stuff you can build with them aesthetically! Especially the wires, those were my favourite Forge pieces. :(

But I know about Flight and the elevator, that's surely going to be awesome. I just wish I still had those lovely aesthetical pieces from the Dominion section at my disposal...
You now have power ups though from halo reach and I think trait zones as well as that bomb thing.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
You now have power ups though from halo reach and I think trait zones as well as that bomb thing.

Well, I've learned that we still don't have the yellow custom power up that we know and used to love from Halo 3 and Halo Reach. It's much more useful than anything else, really. Trait zones is a good thing though, glad they kept it. T'hey've kept a lot of good things included but they've also kept a lot of bad things included, unfortunately. For instance, I wish they had gone back to the Halo Reach medals instead of sticking with the Halo 4 ones. Not only do I hate the design of most of the Halo 4 medals (especially the multimedals) but also the functionality. I mean, killing someone with a headshot with a sniper rifle should reward you with a sniped medal, not just killing someone with a sniper rifle in general. They really managed to decrease the awesomeness of some of the good old medals from the older Halo games with the new designs in Halo 4 and it kind of sucks they kept (most of) them in H2A.

Either way, I'm not going to lie: this is an amazing new Forge to work with. Can't wait to get my hands on this. In terms of remakes, I might wait and see if Morgan Bay would actually work without dominion pieces before giving that one a go, but Far from Eden is pretty sure to get a sequel, When Running Fails will be greeting a little brother too and of course I'll also give the Favela series another shot. :)

Oh, and what to think of Lone Souls in a Lost Mine... ;)

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
I may hop on later after Wednesday I can start to think of Mini Games to create. Until like 3 weeks from them. With all these new mechanics though I'm afraid that I'm going to get carried away again. But I will remake chase once they have ricochet working again.