TMCC : Forge Discussion

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Why do spawns and objectives now count towards the object limit? They were always $0 towards the budget in previous games, but now suddenly with next gen hardware they need to be limited? What the heck?
There has always been a hard object limit in forge which things like spawns did contribute to. That number was never communicated to the player, but it was closer to the 550 mark in Halo 4. We're still getting an additional 100 objects to use.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
There has always been a hard object limit in forge which things like spawns did contribute to. That number was never communicated to the player, but it was closer to the 550 mark in Halo 4. We're still getting an additional 100 objects to use.
On Forge Island we could use 751 objects, so in fact we don't get any additional pieces. You're right with the mark's invisibility, though.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
It's kind of tricky anyway seeing how you don't need all that many pieces on a map to run into performance issues in game. Again, don't have the game so can't speak out of experience, but apparently plenty of people run into trouble with poor framerate, pieces not spawning in a bigger lobby and that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

buddhacrane

Proficient
Nov 2, 2014
Yeah, I've also noticed objects not spawning into a game if the connection isn't too great - even with only two players! My educated guess is that the object spawning happens around the time the Host enters the game. If a Non-Host player doesn't enter into the game quick enough, he'll miss out on some object spawns that already loaded for the Host. I hope it's fixable....

The reason I think it works this way is because this is what happens with Scripting Timers. If you setup a Timer: On Once at the beginning of the game, with a 0 second delay, then there is a very good chance that the timer won't fire for anyone who isn't the Host. If you actually give it a delay though, say 5 seconds, then everything will work perfectly fine for everybody (because by 5 seconds into the game, everyone has loaded into that game). Note that all this is still before the "Deploying" 10 second countdown has finished, and so is before anyone has actually spawned onto the map.

I suppose that, bearing that in mind, the issue of certain objects not spawning could maybe be resolved by having all the objects not spawn into the map until 5 seconds in? A bit time-consuming and tedious but it might act as a temporary workaround to the problem...

I haven't come up with a map idea for nebula though..... and the new pieces don't fit the space vibe. I have a feeling that nebula is going to be a forge map mainly used to create night atmospheres.

It's my go-to canvas for when I need a map that is dark, and often when I'm making an interior-only map.

You're right about the pieces though. They just don't feel space station-y or space ship-y.

ReclaimerX22

Master
May 28, 2013
Yeah, concrete buildings, trees, and earth-tone terrain, IN SPACE! lol. They definitely didn't put the same kind of effort into this that they put into Halo 4's forge.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, concrete buildings, trees, and earth-tone terrain, IN SPACE! lol. They definitely didn't put the same kind of effort into this that they put into Halo 4's forge.

Wut. How can you say that? They clearly put more time into this than in the shitty rushed thing that Halo 4 Forge was.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I don't think that's too big of a deal. You're not encouraged to use those pieces in that canvas. They definitely put a lot of effort in this new forge.

I'm honestly sadder they removed Extraction Cylinders and Dominion pieces. I get that those gametypes are gone but they could've at least kept those pieces in a different category like they did with the Base Shields (now called Infection shields or something).

-Orzium-

Distinguished
Too be truely honest, I think halo 4,s forge was better. Yes this games forge mode functions better and smoother than halo 4,s but the texture and issues with both lighting and frame rate on this game is terrible. You could make much larger maps in halo 4 than this game due to the frame rate issues currently present. Yes the extra pieces is great but they got rid of key smaller more intricate pieces that impacts infection themed maps. I think the textures in this game are worst than halo4's. Sorry for the rant just my honest opinion.

ReclaimerX22

Master
May 28, 2013
I actually love H2A's forge, it's great. But things like the water on Awash bug me. There are huge pro's and huge cons with the way the did it. They should've just made it toggle-able or allowed you to set the depth of the water. The "mist" that they unnecessarily threw into awash causes (or exasperates) frame rate issues. The textures of the blocks and such on awash look great, but they look ridiculous on the other two. They had textures that fit the look of the other canvasses in Halo 4, but they didn't put the same effort into this one. I mean honestly how hard would it have been to retexture the concrete blocks to look like steel and the rocks and terrain pieces to look like asteroids? Overall I like the new forge better than Halo 4's, just not too impressed with it. Too many little disappointments that add up, ya know?

I'm honestly sadder they removed Extraction Cylinders and Dominion pieces. I get that those gametypes are gone but they could've at least kept those pieces in a different category like they did with the Base Shields (now called Infection shields or something).

Holy shit, the antennas and barricades and screens should have been linked to the scripting system......

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
Over the weekend I discovered if you are off line (good job Comcast) you can't use the "Save As" option. It creates a new file but under the same name/description. The map will save, but you can't change the name or description. The date/time may also be wrong depending on your consoles settings.