H2 Forge Physics Tags

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
I was messing around in the new H2 forge and found a small change in the physics of objects while in game. Some objects that have the physics tag set to normal seem to keep the normal tag active in game instead of reverting to a fixed position. In the video below I did a quick mock up of this with a few rocks. I haven't gone trough and tested all objects, but it seems the building blocks still end up in a fixed position. I can think of a few ways to use this in various maps (rock slides or super jenga maybe?).

Anyone else find something interesting in the new forge?

Update: I got around to testing this a little more. Click here to see my findings.

Last edited:

Berb

Master
Dec 30, 2012
I'm picturing remote traps splattering zombies now. Does the physics change work with a switch like it would normally with a physical impulse? Because if it does it could save a lot of pissing about with mancannons.

Stevo

The Grinchmind
Dec 31, 2012
United Kingdom
Unfortunately it doesn't retain those physics as a "normal" item would with Normal physics. For instance if the rock is placed in the map first, then set to normal, the rock doesn't move when fired at or stood on. It only retains the normal properties when activated by a Script...

Ryguyrules147

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Unfortunately it doesn't retain those physics as a "normal" item would with Normal physics. For instance if the rock is placed in the map first, then set to normal, the rock doesn't move when fired at or stood on. It only retains the normal properties when activated by a Script...
So if you put it on a timer to start at 1 second, will it still be move when hit with another object?

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
I finally have a day off to test this some more. These are some of the things I have found so far:

• An object (e.g. rock or other structure piece) placed on a map then changed to "normal" will not move when shot. However, when another object (either a player or another object) is a certain distance to the object, the object updates and the "normal" physics activate and the object can be moved with sufficient force. This mostly applies while in forge mode only.
  • When starting a new round/game, any objects with physics tags set to "normal" will immediately be able to move provided sufficient force or gravity. This applies to objects set to "Place at Start: True."
  • Objects with the the "normal" tag will despawn after a certain time if there is no interaction with players (shooting, touching). The object can also despawn in the player moves too far away from the object. The object may also despawn if the player looks away from the object completely. If the player is close enough to the object and looks away the object won't despawn. (Any distances still need to be determined).
  • Objects cannot be scripted to change their physics, but rather spawned in with scripts with "normal" physics already active.
  • Objects can be scripted (or set on a timer) to spawn above a man cannon to provide a force to move the object.
  • Objects that can move when spawned with a "normal" physics tag include: terrain, rocks, foliage, bridges, platforms, buildings, decorative, doors, windows, walls and inclines.
  • Some structure pieces lock in place with "normal" physics tag as in previous games. These include building blocks and grids. (More testing is needed to see if any more pieces do not keep the "normal" physics tag active)
  • Any object that can move immediately when spawned (when the game starts or via scripts/timers) and is saved in place on a map, will be deleted upon reentering forge.
    • ex. I place a rock in a fixed spot above the ground with a "fixed" physics tag. I then change it to a "normal" physics tag without touching the rock and immediately save the map. I enter a custom game and the rock will fall as soon as the game starts. I renter forge and the rock will no longer be on the map.
So far this is every thing I have found. I only spent a little while messing around with this today, so everything may not be 100% accurate. Some of the despawning properties still need further testing to verify my results.

I still need to go though and test all of the objects for which ones respond to the "normal" physics tag. I just don't have the patience for that kind of work right now. If anyone wants to test out objects or anything else you are welcome to post your findings here. Good luck and happy forging.

SixteenthMatt

Master
Feb 10, 2013
How did you do that? I never quite figured out how to get objects to spawn in the air with normal physics.

You have a couple ways to spawn the items in, spawn timers and scripts.
  • Timers: Place the item in the air with the "fixed" physics tag selected. Set to the spawn timer to a value greater than 0. Change the physics tag to "normal". And finally you need to save.

• Scripts: Place the item in the air with the "fixed" physics tag selected. Set the "Place at Start" to "false." Now you need to set up the scripts to spawn the item in when activated. Check out this awesome guide for more info on how to set up the object to spawn using scripts. After your scripts are set up, change the physics tag to "normal". And finally you need to save.

In both cases make sure you do not tough the object or even get too close to it or the object will update and fall to the ground. If you save after the objects falls, it will be placed in the new spot on the ground or even delete itself from the map. They will appear as setup in a custom game if you follow the above steps.

Also note that any object not completely stationary when loading a forge map will be deleted upon reloading the map. So all those rocks placed in mid air that fall/move immediately after spawning will be gone after reloading a forge map.