Data Lost [Jul 26, 2016] Map Testing With INFINUT - Halo 5

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayishPoppy210

Qualified
Apr 27, 2016
yeah. i was debating whether to submit buccaneer. it was originally an 8v8 map but i shrunk it down a bit to make it a 6v6 map. unfortunately u dont to 6v6 testing. i wouldnt mind if you tried it during your 8v8 testing to...

Reactions: INFINUT

Bloodpony

Novice
Feb 29, 2016
Orange County, California
Hello Mr. Infinut,

Salient 2.5 (from my File shares - not the bookmarks)
Bloodpony
Slayer and Strongholds
4v4

Made a lot of adjustments since Duck's lobby, but I probably won't be around during your lobby times.

Thanks!

Reactions: INFINUT

INFINUT

Qualified
Feb 19, 2016
Hello Mr. Infinut,

Salient 2.5 (from my File shares - not the bookmarks)
Bloodpony
Slayer and Strongholds
4v4

Made a lot of adjustments since Duck's lobby, but I probably won't be around during your lobby times.

Thanks!
No problem you can watch it on my past broadcasts on twitch

Reactions: KILLtrOTTcity

INFINUT

Qualified
Feb 19, 2016
I'm posting this one for the next Friday lobby you've got available.

Map: Omnius
4v4
Author: valojiztov
Gametypes: slayer & strongholds

Just a heads up. I may not be there when your hosting but I'll try and make it on.
We will get it tested!

INFINUT

Qualified
Feb 19, 2016
2v2 Tuesday lineup

Map: Rendezvous
Gametypes: strongholds/oddball
Gt: Raptor086

map: Deadwood
Author: ImDahUnicorn
gamemodes: slayer and assault

INFINUT

Qualified
Feb 19, 2016
8v8 Saturday BTB lineup

Map: Cryptum
Modes: Strongholds/ctf
Gamertag: D4rkpr1nc3

Map: Prophets Fire (8v8)
Modes: Assault , Strongholds
GT: KilltrOTTcity

Map: Cargo Depot
by Cappasmaldo
strongholds (5-base) and ctf
8v8

Map: Buccaneer
Modes: slayer and strongholds
Gt: Grayishpoppy210

Reactions: d4rkpr1nc3

KILLtrOTTcity

Proficient
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
*Feedback for the BTB maps played on Saturday*

Prophets' Fire- No Feedback my map.

Cryptum - Once again you have delivered with an excellent BTB map! The Aesthetics on this map and overall Forerunner theme is solid and awe-inspiring and it wasn't just me who thought so, I heard a few others complementing on how awesome the map looked. You've really made a convincing location that feels like some sort of forerunner installation all the way throughout. Aesthetics aside I think the map played pretty well on both CTF and Strongholds.I did think that the flag on CTF was a little too far back into the base, imo I would of just put it infront of those pillars to make it a bit easier to grab and that way defenders who decide to camp on the top of the base cant just reign down grenades and groundpounds from above everytime someone grabs a flag.It wasn't too bad in the test we did but I guarantee when people get more use to the map, they will exploit that more and more, so just a few more feet infront of the pillars and not behind would balance it out perfectly imo. One other concern is the large cliffs/rocks scattered in the field, I dont think there were any soft kills up there so I think some of the rocks could offer some really "campy positions", especially the higher ones.Basically unless there are multiple way acess the highly elevated rocks, they will probably be too easy to exploit, especially with a good team who sets up positions. One minor gripe I have is the Active Camo seemed to be too close to the Mantis spawn, the reason I say this is because in 1 game of CTF I got the Mantis twice but was highjacked both times almost as soon as I got into the Mantis by someone hiding with active camo. Maybe it was just really bad luck on my part. One last easily fixable issue is in Forge I noticed that I could climb up to the ceiling behind where the Mantis spawns, just needs a quick softkill up there to prevent future exploits.As for weapons and Vehicle layout all seems solid. But with a few minor tweaks i think this map is going to be something really special and it is very hard to pull of a convincing Forerunner theme even on smaller maps, but the fact that you have convincingly done it and packed in so much detail on a larger BTB map that plays extremely well is no small feat at all, I cant wait to see more from you, keep it up!!

Cargo Depot- Overall this map played ok and the weapon layout seemed to work well for the most part.The main problem I have with this map is I think there is probably too much elevation. Half of the battles I got into I was either shooting someone way down below me or getting shot from high above.I know you tried to remedy the abundance of elevation with grav lifts which is helpful but especially where the bases and flags were located there seemed to be only 2 viable ways into the base, one by a grav lift and the other by a winding ramp.If a few of the enemy team decided to stay at base and camp up top it would be very frustrating trying to break through their defenses since they are so highly elevated and would almost always have a great advantage.I'm not saying that bases shouldn't have a defensive advantage but just that the sheer height of the bases is a bit much in this case imo.An additional way into the bases would be very welcome.At first i was unsure if the gungoose fit this map since it has limited places to drive but then when I managed to pick up our flag runner during an intense firefight and nearly drive him all the way back to our base I saw just how useful the gungoose could be on that map so im glad you included it and to me a BTB map without atleast a vehicle or 2 doesn't feel like BTB. I would have to play this again before I say much more, I will say that I think Strongholds will play the best on this map, I think the teams were also a bit unbalanced during this test so that could of played a part in the way I feel about it.Hope to test it again soon, assault would be fun to try out on this.

Buccaneer- I love the feel and overall theme of this map, somebody said it reminded them of something from WWII but I know you are doing a pirate theme that your map name eludes to and which Id love to see more map creators attempt to do. Maybe you can add a few more minor touches especially to the ship to fully clarify your theme, I was thinking it would be cool to make a sail or also some large skulls cleverly merged into some parts of the ship to really solidify it as being a pirate ship.I really like the design of the houses and the destroyed fort ruins are a nice touch as well.
Aesthetics aside I think your map gameplay wise could be improved alot.As Infinut suggested maybe try to shrink the width of your map down a little bit if you can since its a bit large.Also the bottom middle where the forts are is way too exposed to the upper levels, anyone down there are basically sitting ducks in a barrel for the most part; this can be easily fixed by simply replacing some of the lower rocks with rocks that stick up higher and offer more cover.An even better idea would be to rebuild the forts with larger pieces to make them provide more cover and be more versatile, and while you are at it I would suggest you take advantage of the awesome new stone texture from the new update to really sell your pirate destroyed fortress theme! If your wondering where you can get budget from I would say to scrap the ladder since its honestly too slow and tedious to provide a reliable way up to the cliffs, instead you could replace it with a mancannon that shoots straight up.I know it wont look as pleasing as the ladder but remember solid gameplay on any map should always be a priority before aesthetics, you could also scrap a few bits and pieces of the forts or use less lights and increase the area of effect of the lights you placed so u can use less. I was also thinking it would be a cool idea and a very needed one to either place either a teleporter or some mancannons that shoot you from the pirate ship up towards the cliffs or somewhere useful.It would also be neat if you maybe made a cannon on the ship that IS the mancannon.This method of player movement is needed since the ship is so far down in relation to the high surrounding cliffs.Another thing is your weapon layout could be alot better, most notably I would say to scrap the damage boost and put maybe a Sniper on the ship to really make players want to fight over it and hold it as a power position and also it would help players on the lower level and provide them a reliable weapon to counter players who stay up on higher ground.The last thing I can think of is to put soft kills in the water where you dont want players to go, there were a few people who thought they could go around the outside of the pirate ship who were then killed by an unexpected hard kill.Oh LAST thing a few skeletons would be really cool scattered around the map as well, maybe 1 who is holding a shotgun for cool effect! Well I hope this feedback helps you in some way, the reason why I said so much is because I really think that your onto something with this map but it has a ton of untapped potential. Maybe im just a big fan of pirates as well !! ;) Happy Forging!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: d4rkpr1nc3

GrayishPoppy210

Qualified
Apr 27, 2016

Cryptum - Once again you have delivered with an excellent BTB map! The Aesthetics on this map and overall Forerunner theme is solid and awe-inspiring and it wasn't just me who thought so, I heard a few others complementing on how awesome the map looked. You've really made a convincing location that feels like some sort of forerunner installation all the way throughout. Aesthetics aside I think the map played pretty well on both CTF and Strongholds.I did think that the flag on CTF was a little too far back into the base, imo I would of just put it infront of those pillars to make it a bit easier to grab and that way defenders who decide to camp on the top of the base cant just reign down grenades and groundpounds from above everytime someone grabs a flag.It wasn't too bad in the test we did but I guarantee when people get more use to the map, they will exploit that more and more, so just a few more feet infront of the pillars and not behind would balance it out perfectly imo. One other concern is the large cliffs/rocks scattered in the field, I dont think there were any soft kills up there so I think some of the rocks could offer some really "campy positions", especially the higher ones.Basically unless there are multiple way acess the highly elevated rocks, they will probably be too easy to exploit, especially with a good team who sets up positions. One minor gripe I have is the Active Camo seemed to be too close to the Mantis spawn, the reason I say this is because in 1 game of CTF I got the Mantis twice but was highjacked both times almost as soon as I got into the Mantis by someone hiding with active camo. Maybe it was just really bad luck on my part. One last easily fixable issue is in Forge I noticed that I could climb up to the ceiling behind where the Mantis spawns, just needs a quick softkill up there to prevent future exploits.As for weapons and Vehicle layout all seems solid. But with a few minor tweaks i think this map is going to be something really special and it is very hard to pull of a convincing Forerunner theme even on smaller maps, but the fact that you have convincingly done it and packed in so much detail on a larger BTB map that plays extremely well is no small feat at all, I cant wait to see more from you, keep it up!!

Cargo Depot- Overall this map played ok and the weapon layout seemed to work well for the most part.The main problem I have with this map is I think there is probably too much elevation. Half of the battles I got into I was either shooting someone way down below me or getting shot from high above.I know you tried to remedy the abundance of elevation with grav lifts which is helpful but especially where the bases and flags were located there seemed to be only 2 viable ways into the base, one by a grav lift and the other by a winding ramp.If a few of the enemy team decided to stay at base and camp up top it would be very frustrating trying to break through their defenses since they are so highly elevated and would almost always have a great advantage.I'm not saying that bases shouldn't have a defensive advantage but just that the sheer height of the bases is a bit much in this case imo.An additional way into the bases would be very welcome.At first i was unsure if the gungoose fit this map since it has limited places to drive but then when I managed to pick up our flag runner during an intense firefight and nearly drive him all the way back to our base I saw just how useful the gungoose could be on that map so im glad you included it and to me a BTB map without atleast a vehicle or 2 doesn't feel like BTB. I would have to play this again before I say much more, I will say that I think Strongholds will play the best on this map, I think the teams were also a bit unbalanced during this test so that could of played a part in the way I feel about it.Hope to test it again soon, assault would be fun to try out on this.

Buccaneer- I love the feel and overall theme of this map, somebody said it reminded them of something from WWII but I know you are doing a pirate theme that your map name eludes to and which Id love to see more map creators attempt to do. Maybe you can add a few more minor touches especially to the ship to fully clarify your theme, I was thinking it would be cool to make a sail or also some large skulls cleverly merged into some parts of the ship to really solidify it as being a pirate ship.I really like the design of the houses and the destroyed fort ruins are a nice touch as well.
Aesthetics aside I think your map gameplay wise could be improved alot.As Infinut suggested maybe try to shrink the width of your map down a little bit if you can since its a bit large.Also the bottom middle where the forts are is way too exposed to the upper levels, anyone down there are basically sitting ducks in a barrel for the most part; this can be easily fixed by simply replacing some of the lower rocks with rocks that stick up higher and offer more cover.An even better idea would be to rebuild the forts with larger pieces to make them provide more cover and be more versatile, and while you are at it I would suggest you take advantage of the awesome new stone texture from the new update to really sell your pirate destroyed fortress theme! If your wondering where you can get budget from I would say to scrap the ladder since its honestly too slow and tedious to provide a reliable way up to the cliffs, instead you could replace it with a mancannon that shoots straight up.I know it wont look as pleasing as the ladder but remember solid gameplay on any map should always be a priority before aesthetics, you could also scrap a few bits and pieces of the forts or use less lights and increase the area of effect of the lights you placed so u can use less. I was also thinking it would be a cool idea and a very needed one to either place either a teleporter or some mancannons that shoot you from the pirate ship up towards the cliffs or somewhere useful.It would also be neat if you maybe made a cannon on the ship that IS the mancannon.This method of player movement is needed since the ship is so far down in relation to the high surrounding cliffs.Another thing is your weapon layout could be alot better, most notably I would say to scrap the damage boost and put maybe a Sniper on the ship to really make players want to fight over it and hold it as a power position and also it would help players on the lower level and provide them a reliable weapon to counter players who stay up on higher ground.The last thing I can think of is to put soft kills in the water where you dont want players to go, there were a few people who thought they could go around the outside of the pirate ship who were then killed by an unexpected hard kill.Oh LAST thing a few skeletons would be really cool scattered around the map as well, maybe 1 who is holding a shotgun for cool effect! Well I hope this feedback helps you in some way, the reason why I said so much is because I really think that your onto something with this map but it has a ton of untapped potential. Maybe im just a big fan of pirates as well !! ;) Happy Forging!

Thx for the feedback. Some really in depth Points. I'll try to address what I can but my object count is currently full. I'm sure I can find a way around it though.

Raptor086

Novice
Nov 21, 2014
I'd like to once again throw my 2v2 map, Rendezvous, into the mix for testing. This has been through a couple of different changes since it was last played, including the addition of a new room and hard route to the top level, some tweaks to weapon placement and respawn timers, and a teleporter adjustment. Also, on a sidenote, please consider the theme/aesthetics just a 'block out' at this point. I'm in the process of completely changing the theme and look of this map. I thought the underwater theme was cool, but with the lighting issues I was having and some of the newer forge options we have at our disposal, I thought an open castle courtyard would be more fitting... that's in the works... for now, I'd just really like to get the final layout playing better. Hopefully the recent changes workout.

2v2
GT: Raptor086
Map name: Rendezvous 3
Gametypes: Slayer & Strongholds

KILLtrOTTcity

Proficient
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Thx for the feedback. Some really in depth Points. I'll try to address what I can but my object count is currently full. I'm sure I can find a way around it though.
I thought the same on my first H5 map Eradicate which was a very large BTB map with a maxed budget in the Alpha version, but when I dug deeper I found so much budget I was able to remodel and improve the map by leaps and bounds and even add extra features and details.I think if you scrap the ladder, replace some smaller pieces and primitives with other larger blocks, combine some smaller rocks into some bigger ones, and also optimize your lighting, you will probably find a good amount of extra budget that will help you make some great additions and tweaks to your map. Even 20-30 extra items can go a long way in improving a map. I cant wait to play the updated version!

GrayishPoppy210

Qualified
Apr 27, 2016
I thought the same on my first H5 map Eradicate which was a very large BTB map with a maxed budget in the Alpha version, but when I dug deeper I found so much budget I was able to remodel and improve the map by leaps and bounds and even add extra features and details.I think if you scrap the ladder, replace some smaller pieces and primitives with other larger blocks, combine some smaller rocks into some bigger ones, and also optimize your lighting, you will probably find a good amount of extra budget that will help you make some great additions and tweaks to your map. Even 20-30 extra items can go a long way in improving a map. I cant wait to play the updated version!

You're right. Scrapping the ladder has worked a treat. The map feels very different already. Im still scraping around the budget to try and make sails and dead bodies but everything is going well. It will be ready for some more testing next Saturday

JonFelixOssim

Master
Mar 18, 2016
California

Much appreciated. Cargo Depot is in fact a remake of a map from a different game (SGDZ) where players cannot jump, thrust, hover, or ground pound, so I had to be very meticulous about every little dimension dictating the exact size and height of the various areas of the map because I had to make sure that the unreachable areas in SGDZ were also unreachable in my map. The height of the bases had to be proportionate to the height of the big walls of containers in the middle because thats how it was in SGDZ and it would be very overpowering if a sniper were able to see top mid from up in their base. Also, SGDZ didnt even have any lifts. The only way to the top of the base was the ramp, and the only way to be in snipe tower was if you spawned up there. So I obviously had to compensate with the lifts and mancannons. The open sightlines reaching across the map, the choice of DMR and sniper, and the placement of the flags were all intentional. I liked the idea of being able to stop the flag carrier even from across the map (I had lots of fun with that in Coliseum) and I also felt that vulnerability to an enemy DMR or sniper across the map especially if you didnt have either of those weapons yourself was enough to keep the high ground positions in check. If the high ground still seems too powerful I suppose I could add another entry point or two to soften it up. I also gave a lot of thought to the vehicles aspect. I agree that you just cant have a btb map without vehicles but while looking around at the various spacing it seemed like it would be very hard to drive around. The easiest vehicle to drive in such a map was clearly a mongoose, hence the choice. At one point I even considered giving each team a ghost in addition but that seemed like itd be too much, so I went with gungooses because they could drive around easily enough and could assist in killing or flag running. I will go ahead and set the map up for assault as well. Sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.