Gaming Destiny [Discussion]

Jan 10, 2013
The Union of Scree
I have a challenge for some of you guys whom are good with the internet. Can you create a nice looking destiny theme for Google Chrome the only one they have is pretty shitty I think being that its to dark to see anything and how beautiful the game is I think that there would be a better one. Please let me know if any of you are interested.
I have created themes in the past (shitty but I think I can do better). I don't see why I couldn't give it a try

Reactions: Fuzzle

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I'm a 360 n00b. This forum isn't big enough to hold my text of gushiness. I've gone full fanboy for this one, felt almost no hype for it but I've already pumped 15+ hours into it :eek:

Reactions: SOLIDSNAKEee
So if anyone has this on ps4, my gamertag is MelnykMachine on there if you wanna play sometime.

I have a question though. I just got to the end of the story mode yesterday but I'm still at lvl 19. I've been reading things on reddit and it seems kind of complicated to level further after 20. Is this true? Can someone give me the eli5 version of what I can do now besides just pvp? I guess there's strikes eh? How do I get these legendary/exotic weapons? The game doesn't really have much ingame explainations lol.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
So if anyone has this on ps4, my gamertag is MelnykMachine on there if you wanna play sometime.

I have a question though. I just got to the end of the story mode yesterday but I'm still at lvl 19. I've been reading things on reddit and it seems kind of complicated to level further after 20. Is this true? Can someone give me the eli5 version of what I can do now besides just pvp? I guess there's strikes eh? How do I get these legendary/exotic weapons? The game doesn't really have much ingame explainations lol.
So once you are level 20 your experience points will no longer go towards raising your level. To increase past 20 you will need to increase your "Light Level." Once you are level 20, armor pieces that are blue or greater should have a certain number of light points on them (similar to having strength or intelligence points.) Equipping these raise your light level while they are equipped. Better armor has more light on it, with exotics always giving the most light. Every time you do a damage resistance upgrade on an armor piece you will also gain more light points for that piece.

As for getting legendary and exotic items, there are a few ways to go about it:

1. Luck: If you play Crucible and the Strike Playlist, chances are you will eventually be rewarded a legendary or exotic item. Eventually. Some people get them relatively often, some don't. I have never gotten one personally, so be warned this method is not guaranteed to work. Still, you have to play these anyways for the other methods.

2. Vanguard and Crucible Marks: When playing Crucible, doing strikes, doing bounties, or doing a variety of other things, you will build up reputation and marks for the crucible and the vanguard armories. Upon hitting rank 2 in either you can use your makes to buy legendary armor from them, and on hitting rank 3 you can buy very expensive legendary weapons. These take a while to get but are a surefire way to get what you want. For example, I wanted the vanguard hand cannon "The Devil You Know." I also wanted the vanguard hunter "Dustwalker" armor. So I focussed on vanguard bounties, strikes, and patrols and saved up enough marks to buy the armor and got my ranking up to 3. Now I have 105 marks and all of my armor, but I'm capped for the week and I need t wait for next week to get the 150 needed for the hand cannon.

3. Xur: Every friday and Saturday Xur, Agent of the Nine, shows up at a random location on the tower. Right now he is down by the vanguard mentors. His face is made of tentacles and he sells Exotic armor and weapons. However, he only accepts strange coins as currency, which can be gained by doing the weekly heroic strike or through engrams at the cryptarch... rarely. You will likely need to save up for a while and be a bit higher level before you can buy anything from him. Also, take note that you can only have 1 exotic weapon and 1 exotic armor piece equipped at any given time, though you can have as many as you want in your inventory.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
It's worth adding that the most likely way of getting Legendary equipment is to complete the Queen's Bounties and missions. The missions have a very high rate of equipment drops at the end as mission rewards. However, you need to be a sufficiently high level in order to have any chance of completing these limited-time missions. Until then, I'd simply concern yourself with getting Rare, level 20 armor. It's only until after that (at level 24) that it's worth considering rising above to level 25-28 with regular legendary equipment with a single exotic. To rise above 28, you will need to earn legendary equipement from the Vault of Glass - the only legendary armor with a high enough Light level to bring you above level 28 once fully upgraded, up to the maximum level of 30.

However, he only accepts strange coins as currency...

He also sells an Exotic armor engram for 23 motes of light - the only item, in my opinion, worth spending your motes on. You start earning those for every level you would have gained past level 20. You can also earn them as mission rewards.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
It should also be noted that the Queens items, while legendary, do NOT break down into ascendant shards, which are used to upgrade legendary and exotic armor.

Xur kept pissing me off with his engrams. I bought a helmet from him a few weeks ago and now all he offers each week are exotic helmet engrams. I finally just spent some of my motes on the Cloak of Six Coyotes from the Speaker, which looks pretty badass.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Okay cool. I have a couple blue armour pieces already, so once i hit level 20 later today, they'll automatically have a light level? Or will it only occur on blue items i obtain AFTER i hit level 20?
Not completely sure, but you will be able to find stuff with light pretty soon. I throw out about 50 blue armor pieces a day anymore.

Reactions: Smelnick

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Okay cool. I have a couple blue armour pieces already, so once i hit level 20 later today, they'll automatically have a light level? Or will it only occur on blue items i obtain AFTER i hit level 20?

You only find them after you reached level 20. Once you do, blue armor will have an extra stat, Light, above where it usually lists your Intellect, Discipline and Strength rating on the item. Then, even level 19 and below armor might have light ratings, but only after they drop while you're level 20+.

He also sells an Exotic armor engram for 23 motes of light - the only item, in my opinion, worth spending your motes on. You start earning those for every level you would have gained past level 20. You can also earn them as mission rewards.

I forgot to mention that, while there is a 100% chance of the engram giving an exotic item, there is only 1/3 chance of it being your class. An exotic helmet engram could just as easily be a Warlock helmet as it could a Titan's or a Hunter's, regardless of your character's class. That's the catch. However, you can always store them in your storage for another character to use, or salvage them for materials used to upgrade legendary/exotic armor. Upgrading armor with Light on them will increase both their defense level and their Light, making it a worthy investment.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I've gotten a crap ton of blue engrams for class items. Just cloaks. Do they do anything? Also, sucks, I managed a few engrams for blue armour items, and they just turn into motes of light or strange coins.

The cloaks don't tend to - they're either to look cool (Bungie wanted us to feel like we had appearance customization, but that's all we really got) or to gain reputation for the different factions. Most just look cool. I really like the warlock bonds, because they often have special effects like flames, void mist or shiny neon holograms. Can't say any other class's items have grabbed my attention just the same.

If I were you, I'd be more thankful for the strange coins and motes than blue equipment. Rare items fall behind the importance of Legendary and Exotic over time, but Strange Coins and Motes of Light will always be of use to you. Maybe not now, but soon you'll be praying for them once Xur brings his wares.

Reactions: Fuzzle and Zandril