The Music Discussion Thread

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013

I didn't mind the first song, but the second one is too black metal for my taste. Need more deathcore.

Ever listen to Despised Icon?

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
They're canadian too. Proves that you don't have to be sweden or norwegian to rock blast beats.

Edit: Oops I thought you quoted my post tedium. My bad.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
totally hate deathcore. black metal and death metal are where its at.
deathcore is like the nu metal of today.
i used to listen to some bands that fit into that category.
but as i delved deeper and deeper into metal i began to realize how shitty they are, how they take what made death metal good and recycle it over and over, turning it into a product to be sold to the younger generations who dont know any better. any time i rant about this i sound like an asshole but it really is one of those "know your history" type of things.

despised icon is okay. i saw them play a coffee house in dekalb, it was pretty crazy.
some faggots were trying to do kung fu in the most pit, and another dude just stepped in and judo flipped the kid onto his head.

gorenotcore.jpg

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I don't know, I've had a lot of good experiences with Nu Metal. Actually, completely by coincidence, half of my iTunes in 2004 was Nu Metal. I didn't even search for Nu Metal bands, it just happened to be that every band I liked was Nu Metal. So, sorry Tit, but I gotta take a stance against you on that one. I don't care how many facts you have to back it up, I draw the line when you cross my Nu Metal bands

[imbed]DeterminedButScare.jpg[/imbed]

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
like i said, its just a matter of learning your history and realizing the truth.

most people dont want to take the time to do that because it involves A LOT of listening.
there was a period of my life where i did nothing but seek out and listen to bands, entire album in one sitting, old and new, all the time.

im not saying theres anything wrong with you liking it. people will like what they wanna like.
im just saying its commercialized garbage that pisses all over the origins of true death metal.

i dont wanna devolve into talking shit about it, instead i just wanna keep recommending bands that i consider vastly better,
hoping to someday eventually sway you from the dark side to the light.

Reactions: Tedium

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Deicide and Cannibal Corpse were two of the first death metal bands i got into when i was in high school.
They are pretty big nowadays, maybe you will like it?

its all about the riffs man.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013

As you delved deeper into metal you started listening to more basic metal? Because death metal is probably the simplest form of metal. I just can't hack it anymore. The time signatures are the same in every song. (e.g. both of the songs you just posted) It's all in 4/4 time. Solid double pedal, 16th notes on the guitar, and some fat guy groaning who has longer hair than my girlfriend. It's all too predictable. There's without a doubt that math metal and deathcore take much more talent to play. 9/8, 3/4, 7/8 timing signatures just provide so much more listening value because the song is always changing. From a drummers perspective, I listen to the kind of music I do because it's challenging to play and much more complex on the rhythm side of things.

Reactions: Tedium

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
here's the thing about that though, sure there's a lot of "basic" metal as you like to call it out there. its the riffs that matter to me, like i said.
i've listened to plenty of hyper progressive "OOO LOOK AT HOW GOOD I CAN PLAY MY INSTRUMENT" types of bands. Dream Theater is a perfect example of how to be incredibly good at music and still write shitty songs. Another example is the new Faceless album "Autotheism," a big step forward for them in terms of 'instrumentality' but a massive step backwards in terms of songwriting ability.

There are bands that can do the crazy time signature thing well, but there are many more who simply cannot. I find music like that masturbatory. At first it was cool to hear it, but after hearing so much of it, i feel like the guitarist is just jerking off all over the listener's face. I am not impressed by such things anymore, and thats the perfect segway into better explaining my stance.

Bands like that, or rather, many of them, since as we both know i am generalizing here. Bands like that take elements from the core of death metal, like a sweet riff or two, right? Then all they do is play a couple sweet riffs and then go DEEDLEY DEE and switch their time signatures around a lot. Just as how you say that you find old school death metal formulaic, i find your music even more formulaic. Here is the formula: riff - breakdown - guitar noodle - repeat. They have taken the element of death metal that makes it fearsome (The Almighty Riff) and they have turned it into something empty and meaningless. Additionally, all of these breakdowns and technicality have ALREADY BEEN DONE, many years ago, by obscure metal bands that were never able to make a name for themselves. Then along came some bitches who ripped off their style and got popular doing it twenty years later.

here are some bands from ages ago that i believe do a much better job at being techy.

1988 - Aspid - a technical thrash masterpiece that is the obvious inspiration for many tech-metal bands that arise in the future

2004 - necrophagist - some people hate them, but i think they do a much better job at techy-dm than any of the deathcore bands,

1990 - nocturnus - one of the first technical death metal bands, still considered a masterpiece by many

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
ahhh and lest i not forget DEATH one of the all-time greatest death metal bands ever imo:
these guys were being techy and progressive long before any deathcore bitch was born.

Reactions: PA1NTS

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Lol i totally agree with you about the faceless. So true. But seriously, just cause its deathcore doesn't make it nu at all. You should see my ipod if thats the case. I think the difference between our tastes almost has more to do with instruments. My music constantly pushes the limits on what a drummer can do, and is accented by the rythym of the music. Where as you titmar love the riffage. I never played guitar so what I like progressive/math/core that type of stuff is because as a drummer, the songs to me are more of an adventure to listen to. However , if i was a guitarist who longs for death metal i would want the guitar to be accented more. I would simply say hey drummer play a blast beat for 5 minutes and i'll do the work. I don't think you should be so narrow minded about the genre. Your generalizing all core and as nu metal which is not true at all. Half the bands I listen to are old as hell. Botch was a huge influence for me growing up. They're almost 20 years old as a band.