The Music Discussion Thread

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Botch is pretty okay. I don't have a problem with that sort of thing at all.
I do think the term "mathcore" is silly and it annoys me that many bands strive for that label now.

I had never heard Botch before today, but they immediately reminded me of Dillinger Escape Plan. (Another band whose earlier works were vastly greater than their more current, pop releases.) I did a wiki search and found that along with D.E.P. they part of the first group of "mathcore" type of bands. I listened to the songs and I thought they were decent but I didn't like them as much as I like, say, Calculating Infinity. That album, in my somewhat limited mathcore opinion, is the best album of that style of music. I disagree with the wikipedia entry on mathcore, which describes it as having roots in metalcore. Personally I think it's more like grindcore than metalcore. The bands that sound like metalcore are the crappy ones. (Like the new DEP albums) Botch and early DEP sound much more grind than they sound metalcore.

As far as my bias towards the different instruments is concerned, I suppose you have a point. Not being a drummer, I can only appreciate the proficiency of the drummer to a certain extent, because I cannot understand the depth of what they're playing, I don't hear the time signatures in my head, etc. However, to say that I am only a fan of the guitars and that i disregard the drums would be incorrect. I listen to every part of the music.

Also, i am most definitely NOT narrow-minded about metal. I have a few friends who are, you'd find them much more frustrating to try and talk to. I listen to a pretty wide scope of metal. A lot of things I have not even bothered to post here because I am trying to ease you guys into it, lol.

Also, I didn't mean to seem like I was generalizing all core as nu-metal. They are two clearly different styles.
The thing that is similar about them is the popularity with the young crowd.

Anyway, I'm not saying that I don't like progressive music, I am saying that i dont like it when it tries too hard. Hopefully that makes sense.

What did you guys (Tedium PA1NTS) think of the stuff i have posted so far? which do you like, which do you not?

Here are some more songs that are good:

classic vital remains track

helrunar - an awesome folkish black metal band

kroda - another band similar style to helrunar

and finally, i hope you like this one,
VEKTORRRRR
these guys are one of the best new metal bands in the past couple years
"progressive scifi thrash"

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Everything you've posted so far has been pretty solid. The only one I didn't enjoy was the folk one, and the one with flutes. I just think it gives metal the wrong vibe. Other than, some pretty good stuff. Vital Remains was good. I can definitely agree with you, metalcore sucks. The genre is so predicatable it kills me.

I think I bought the album Calculating Infinity, makes me wanna go find it.

Animosity is an example of a thrash/grind kinda deathcore band that is very young. These guys started recording at the age of 16. Then they eventually release stuff like this. The album is called animal. It's quite the adventure to listen to if you like it. Just trying to prove that bands don't have to be old to be good. Plus, I figured this would be a good band to show you since they're more about the riffage.

Between The Buried And Me. Progressive Metal. They have tons of material to listen to and they improve their sound with every album. But this song is from their very first album. The sound of the kick pedal is like, perfectly mastered to me. I dunno, you might have heard of these guys.

See You Next Tuesday. Grindcore.

I'm not just another 90's kid who listens to asking alexandria, for fuck sakes. I like my music with balls to it. However, death metal isn't the only genre with balls to it though. You can't say these songs aren't heavy as shit. So what you can't bang your head to the music. That's not what heavy music is about to me. If you can bang your head to the music, it's not technical enough.

Reactions: Titmar

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Titmar I can't say that the stuff you posted really grabbed me. Cannibal, deicide and the rest I just kinda zoned out while listening to.

In other news (this is more my music :D) I love how Killswitch Engage's new singles are much better than I expected (massive Howard Jones fan; shame he left...)

Freaking love this.

Reactions: PA1NTS

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
im cool with everything PA1NTS posted. Animosity and BTBAM are good shit, ive been familiar with them for quite some time. That grind track was decent too.
BTBAM is a good example imo of a progressive metal band who does a good job doing it and is not too wanky.
They have the wankery in their songs, but their songwriting ability is top notch and it does not come off as overdone to me.
That being said, i've never REALLY gotten into them. I have their albums and i've listened and liked it, but im not that crazy about it,
i just strongly respect what they do.

Here's some more grind:

some more death:

Tedium... idk man, i want to convert you so bad, but if NONE of that which ive posted has done anything for you, idk what to say.
It might be that you are permanently infected with falseness. Your metallus organus is impaired. :p

I dunno, going out on a limb here, maybe you will like this:
i think this is one of my more favorite newer progressive metal bands out there right now
they do a great job at meshing the violin sound into a black metal sound, but their vocals are predominantly clean, with the screams as a backup.
its a really great album.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Tedium... idk man, i want to convert you so bad, but if NONE of that which ive posted has done anything for you, idk what to say.
It might be that you are permanently infected with falseness. Your metallus organus is impaired. :p

It might have been something that you said here (nobody insults my Metallus Organus!) but I thought I'd give those songs another chance, focusing more on the melodies and less on the "that's way too much screaming..." I don't know. We'll see... Keep posting stuff though, because this:

Was definitely a step in the right direction :titmar:

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
i do like select hip-hop/rap, but i did not care for that at all.

i am glad you like Ne Obliviscaris though! that gives me a clue as to the right direction to take my recommendations.
i will return later with some more rec's.

btw i fucking love that song (the Ne O' one) its really catchy and its also heavy as fuck and creative. great band.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
i do like select hip-hop/rap, but i did not care for that at all.

Joking. Dun worry.

i am glad you like Ne Obliviscaris though! that gives me a clue as to the right direction to take my recommendations.
i will return later with some more rec's.

btw i fucking love that song (the Ne O' one) its really catchy and its also heavy as fuck and creative. great band.

Yup, sticking this shit on repeat. The more I listen, the more I love :heart:

Reactions: Titmar

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
they do a great job at meshing the violin sound into a black metal sound, but their vocals are predominantly clean, with the screams as a backup.
its a really great album.

You've must have heard of Apocalyptica. If not, hear them now.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Tonight, I'm going to see Savant live. I'm gunna party like it's 1999. Savant is an EDM producer who has asbergers, autism and ADD. His conditions make him a perfectionist with his music. He has produced over 10,000 songs of all kinds of genres including jazz, classical, death metal and folk. He now makes the dopest electronic music I have heard in a long while. You will notice he has a strong influence from NES games.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Tonight, I'm going to see Savant live. I'm gunna party like it's 1999. Savant is an EDM producer who has asbergers, autism and ADD. His conditions make him a perfectionist with his music.

Wow, that's incredible. Never even heard of this guy before. Savant sounds like a perfect name for him :laugh:

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
I was sooo disappointed in their new album.

i've only heard a couple songs off it so far. a bunch of my friends like it a lot, they say it really grows on you if you give it a chance.
i'm not really sure on it yet because i haven't given the entire album a sit-down-and-listen yet.

Ok I think we need a small injection of hip hop/rap up in here.

I'll start off with a new artist I've been listening to: Joey Bada$$

A$AP Rocky was already mentioned in the thread, but here's a couple of gems from his old and new albums.

This one in particular is a great track with a host of new hip hop talent.

I'll stand by my position that, for now, KENDRICK LAMAR IS THE BEST RAPPER that's doing his thing right now. Ask CHUCK, I pretty much only listen to him on a day-to-day basis. I cant even just post a couple of vids; here's a playlist that you'll need to click through to see just a few of his songs. Pretty much all of them is fire.
Kendrick is part of Top Dawg Ent. (TDE), and the rest of the crew is lyrically strong. Specifically Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul have very emotionally potent music out right now.