What Are You Working On?

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Designed the bases on Ophelia and forged one of them today. T-minus another three months before I finish the other two.

ugcuserfile-313878f4-311c-4f8e-b64b-3a571ec37165-29867949b9358f62-full

Firemindex

Novice
Dec 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
Currently working on multiple linear progression flood maps, two on Impact and the third will be on one of two maps. The first part is almost ready for alpha testing, but I do need another forger to help with a special something.

a Chunk

Master
Nov 14, 2013
Mostly done with two 2v2 projects.
Epicore is a 2v2 variant of Epicenter that has a much different bottom gold (Sniper spawn)

Corona is a room-based 2v2. It's kind of experimental for me, featuring a 0 Clip Incin Cannon that spawns every 60 seconds.

a Chunk

Master
Nov 14, 2013
You beast...

If you can make the dubstep cannon work for a competitive 2v2 map (Curb Stomp doesn't count), I will explode.

I wanted one weapon/powerup that would serve as a focal point to drive the action of the entire map, and it seemed like a better choice than say...a Saw. I like it better than some of the other explosive weapons because I can make it spawn with only 1 shot.

It's in the middle of a relatively large room, and is not easily accessed. If you get it, it's obviously basically a guaranteed kill. I have no idea if it will work. It could turn out to be a disaster, or perhaps it will work wonderfully. We shall see...

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
Firemindex, it's kind of a 3-atrium style, just with more openness and connection than the more "traditional" atrium maps. There's also a 4th, err, room? I wouldn't necessarily call it an atrium, that connects the 2 atriums in the bottom part of the sketch. More of a bridge I guess?

Auburn, it might just be me, but that image is borked. :(

a Chunk, Corona looks verrrry interesting. Also I checked Epicore out in forge - I really like the new bottom gold idea, but it felt a little off. It just seemed a bit cramped jumping down to snipe, and those blank white wall colis around the death pit were a bit disorienting. Might just be me though. Maybe try defining the death trap area more with darker colors so its more visually obvious? Overall though, love it. :)

a Chunk

Master
Nov 14, 2013
a Chunk, Corona looks verrrry interesting. Also I checked Epicore out in forge - I really like the new bottom gold idea, but it felt a little off. It just seemed a bit cramped jumping down to snipe, and those blank white wall colis around the death pit were a bit disorienting. Might just be me though. Maybe try defining the death trap area more with darker colors so its more visually obvious? Overall though, love it. :)
I beat you to it. The newest version that I linked has dark walling around the death pit.
The jump from where that pic is taken down to where Snipe is was not intended to be possible. It is actually possible, but not easy to pull off. With the different piece usage in the death pit, there's an additional route down to Snipe now. ;)

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
Props to The Fated Fire for his advice on lessening the segmentation at the bases.

[...]this area extends across the whole map essentially cuts the map in half between two distinct sides/bases (gold and green, in this case).
[...]there's a bit of a segmentation issue present in these back paths
[...]what's the point in taking the longer, more segmented route?
[...]this example highlights the segmentation issue as well.
If there were less segmentation between the "inside" and "outside" paths[...]

:bookworm:

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
My suggestions for Aether are as follows, Zandril. I'd like to go over it all in game, but here's the gist in case we never get around to it.

TwQPgks.jpg

Orange: The lifts don't add much to movement IMO, so I would suggest replacing them with a connection to bottom green if you can. You would probably have to expand on that area so that the elbow wouldn't have to be too long. I felt that whole side of the map needed better connections to the other, so that would cover that as well.

Yellow: I would suggest replacing that steep ramp with a double crate jump (you may have to elevate the upper ledge a little). It makes players have to work to gain that higher elevation quickly. Otherwise, they would need to move through the inner base to get there. EDIT: Just noticed the ramps are steep anymore. Suggestion still applies, though, if you're willing to tweak that area a little.

The primary problems I noticed in our game were the two dominant positions, green and gold. I mentioned that engagements constantly took place between those two positions, but the underlying issue is the lack of an adequate connections between them to push through. Players are forced into a dip whenever they attempt to push from one side to another, so there are two things I would suggest here. The first would be to incorporate a curved bridge through mid and the second would be to incorporate LoS blockers between the dominant positions and those side routes (lets players move through those routes unseen). If you do go with that suggestion, you would probably have to remove the ramp from mid to top gold, so I would suggest incorporating a lift from bottom gold to top gold.

Overall, it was a neat design. I like the looks of the new bases. Shoot me an invite next time you get around to testing it.

Reactions: Zandril and Dax

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Alright Dax and Auburn, I managed to salvage some pieces giving me 30+ blocks, 25+ inclines and bridges, and a few walls so I'm going to try and fix Aether up. I like all your suggestions and I'll try to implement them.

Orange: The lifts don't add much to movement IMO, so I would suggest replacing them with a connection to bottom green if you can. You would probably have to expand on that area so that the elbow wouldn't have to be too long. I felt that whole side of the map needed better connections to the other, so that would cover that as well.
I just removed the lift. So how about an elbow leading to where the lift used to throw players at. Middle green instead of bottom Green.

The primary problems I noticed in our game were the two dominant positions, green and gold. I mentioned that engagements constantly took place between those two positions, but the underlying issue is the lack of an adequate connections between them to push through. Players are forced into a dip whenever they attempt to push from one side to another, so there are two things I would suggest here. The first would be to incorporate a curved bridge through mid and the second would be to incorporate LoS blockers between the dominant positions and those side routes (lets players move through those routes unseen). If you do go with that suggestion, you would probably have to remove the ramp from mid to top gold, so I would suggest incorporating a lift from bottom gold to top gold.
I just replicated the ramps leading to Green with Gold. There are now two ramps leading from the middle to top Gold just like top Green and I also plan on adding a lift from bottom Gold to top Gold. This is because there is a balcony at the back of Green that acts as another route from bottom Green to top Green and I wanted both Green and Gold to have the same amount of routes to the top.

I fear that if I put any LoS blockers in between top Gold and Green, I may end up cluttering the area or create some awkward structures. Maybe the curved bridge is the better choice. If I do put a curved bridge, do I still have to cover up the side routes to allow players to move there unseen?

I can also use an Onyx-styled jump from top Gold to top Green instead of a curved bridge.

Thoughts?

Reactions: WARHOLIC and Auburn