What Are You Working On?

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Working on a new forge island dominion map, was meant to be urban/port but that didn't really work out. Inspired by Vortex and I'm really trying to create good hog pathing and some interesting verticality into the base designs. It's kind of difficult as there are a lot of unnaturally long sightlines with two even being able to cross map. Not entirely sure how to address that at the moment but first I've got to make Alpha and Charlie less awkward to approach.

I'm also working on a Vortex-eqsue map. Inevitably Alpha (top) will be stunted in height, in relation to Charlie (bottom), because the center structure (probably Bravo) is the big sight-line blocker between the two bases. Vehicle pathing is definitely complicated, because we don't have the smooth hills of Vortex to work with. Remember to leave yourself plenty of space on either side of the map for A-C vehicle flanks, and consider adding an A-B-C path down the center.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
It's a BTB map. It should have long sightlines (Not too long though). A sightline is a bad one if it's both long AND wide. At least, that's how it is for 4v4 maps. Not sure about them in BTB though.

Flying Shoe ILR, help me out here.
I'd agree with that. You can have a few long lines of sight, but they need to be restricted and placed carefully. For example, my map Embark has 2 very long roads going through the middle of the map that cross in the middle, but these roads bend a bit and only give you a very narrow shot all the way across the map, so it's easy to run by them without necessarily getting sniped.

Also, if you are out of budget on that map then you are using pieces in extraneous ways. The key with designing a BTB map is not not just place bases on Forge Island with some cover but to actually design the full map with all of its routes, bases, and lines of sight then decide how to incorporate the map in. Here is an example below, my map Excavation that I talked about earlier. It used Forge Island terrain but only where it needs it, with the rest of the map being built up. This map was built using just under full budget, with weapons, objectives, and a lot of unnecessary sandbags.

Overview of Map (Without roof)

Close up of natural terrain by Red Base

As you can see, there are some long areas around the outside that promote longer range combat, but they can only see in one direction and so are controlled. Players don't have to go through them, but could opt for medium or close range areas to fight in instead. It's always good to have a mix of long, short, and moderate lines of sight in a map and to not let the one become predominate, such as long sight-lines are on a ninja samuri 's map.

The 0micron

Selppin
Jan 27, 2013
Well i'm exhausted from reading all of this competitive talk, so ill throw some lame flood into here.
So as of right now, i'm working on a "Last Stand" map on Erosion that is based on a metro station. Having a few problems here and there but slowly it's coming together. Another project i'm working on is a flood map on Impact that is a little space station more or less, i'm really trying to hit the texturing on key so it stands out on that, while still having very atmospheric and intense gameplay (Same style map as my map "Something Different"). Finally, I'm working on the sequel to the first Prop Hunt map, which was named "Warehouse". This next one is one Erosion and will only be rocks to mix it up ^_^ okay back to competitive talk :cool:

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
If it makes you feel better, it's not very good. The experience of making this one BTB map made me realize I'm a small map forger.

Leave it to Flying Shoe ILR to make BTB maps. :)
Lol, just like making a 2 v 2 map in Reach made me realize that I much prefer BTB. Though Mock and I did co-forge a pretty snazzy Linear Infection map one time, so you never know what else you might be good at. It's good to break out of your comfort zone every once in a while, as you learn something whether it is successful or a failure.

VaultingFrog

Adept
May 2, 2013
Walmart
Well I am attempting to forge something. An emphasis on the "attempt". My concept is a FFA oddball game where you can only kill the carrier. The carrier cant toss the oddball either, so once you pick it up you are stuck with it. It is in an enclosed area ment for larger crowds, such as a lobby of 10 or greater. I also would love to set the gametype up to allow up to 4 teams of 4 to do this, of course they can throw the ball with teams being involved.. I think it could be a bit interesting.

I have no clue as to how to set up the gametype but I think I got the spawns and over all design of the map down. It is fairly simplistic, yet has a lot of areas to jump around and corners to dodge people. Not much I want to change on the map portion of this thing unless there are some extreme design flaws an actual forger points out. I will be putting the map up on my fileshare tonight in case anybody wants to take a look. It is called Gingerbread Town.

_Deg

Qualified
Jan 13, 2013
Currently working on a symmetrical Castle Wars inspired map. Made it on Impact at first, but didn't like the way it panned out.
Re-made it on Forge Island, but I've yet to set up spawns, gametype compatibility, and/or propitiatory cover.
Aesthetics are also still only half finished.

The middle of the map is a long, wide, and open hallway with each base main entrance on either side.
On either side of the center of this bridge is a roofer-off area, with a Mantis on each side. (Original Impact map had a banshee on one side, a Mantis on the other.)
Each base has two floors, bottom has dominion-pieces based aesthetics, Warthog and Mongoose vehicle spawns, and a downwards slope for cover.
The upper floor is accessed via two cannon men on an angled back wall, and the top floor has a one-way shield linking the outside and inside. CTF will have flag on top floor.

Don't currently have in-game images, drew these on MS Paint:
oqdAaFh.png

Map primarily made for Insta-Respawn, Random Weapons, 6-14 players, Hardlight Shields Only.

Will post images up, of both versions, as soon as possible.

_Deg

Qualified
Jan 13, 2013
Seems like you know your way around plotting stuff out. Have you ever tried Google Sketchup?

Indeed I have and it takes far too long to set up and go through it, when I can merely make a hand-drawn graph or blueprint on some paper and put that on file for reference, if not scan it and make digital copies as backup.
Gotta leave for work now, but I'll be sure to post in-game photos of the bases when I get home. Haven't actually made use of the Theater-mode in Halo 4 yet due to it being broken for so gosh darn long.
Though I'm thankful that it's now apparently working. I'll have to follow a YouTube tutorial for it or something though.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
My current forge projects (aside from helping literally every single damned person in the Halo community with their competitive maps, it seems :/ ) include the testing and tweaking of one map and the building of another.

My Dominion map: I Com Ober Da Hows has seen a lot of testing, but I am considering tearing part of it... apart? I need to make some adjustments to be sure.

My other project, which i am extremely excited about, is a new map called Panic Attack. I am mostly done with the construction of the map and will be showing it off shortly. Panic Attack follows in the footsteps of S and Panic Station and is an inversely symmetrical arena style Squad/BTB map ideal for 6v6 play. The map creates clockwise vehicle flow which is contingent upon jumps and ledges. The map will play best for Multi-Flag, Extraction, and Big Team Slayer. I'll get some more details up on this map shortly.

Anyways, I'm glad to see one of these threads here. I wish I had the time to look further into what you're all working on, but half of you will probably be asking me to look at your maps in the future anyways :p

Reactions: Zandril

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I can use Blender, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. But I still don't know how to use SketchUp. What the hell is wrong with me? -__-
I spent 3 years using Solidworks, which is like the real, heavy duty program sketch up is based on, and I can't use sketch up either. I hate the fact that objects are hollow and that faces can just be gone.

Reactions: Zandril