What Are You Working On?

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Kinda dabbling into a few things. It's hard to say if I'm *working* on them, but for sure they're working in my head.
  • Excavation needs some type of overhaul, I'm considering finding a better way to vehicle path, moving around Blue base, and assess the usefulness of the teleporters.
  • My old map Mercado sucked. I started on a different model on Forge Island, but there's some conflicts with the top in respect to the bottom that never got resolved in the original design. Sometimes remakes have inherent problems.
  • One more test of my Basketball game, and I'm posting it up on the Maps section.
  • Made the gametype for a minigame, "Shot in the Dark". I'll leave it at that ;)
  • While back I made the mechanism to do Pokemon in Halo. With the Horizon editor, I'm thinking about a new spin on that situation.
  • Started a Dominion map. Tore it down. Scaled it a lot larger. Now I'm just too lazy and lack the creativity to pull it off.
Yeah! So... help me ;(

Reactions: IroKnee
Feb 1, 2013
Australia
My thoughts exactly. But you never know 'till you try. :)

_______________________________________​
Started on my first BTB map ever. It's going good so far but I'm having problems with budget.

i just finished my first BTB map ever and im really happy with it but some advice would be great its in my file share and is called highlands even though its 90 percent flat any way here is the link: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/a ninja samuri/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
i just finished my first BTB map ever and im really happy with it but some advice would be great its in my file share and is called highlands even though its 90 percent flat any way here is the link: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/a ninja samuri/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0

Screenshots. I'm not downloading anything without seeing a picture.

Also, you claim that it's 90% flat. That's a bad idea.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I've got a few projects in the works:

• Embark - A re-imagination of my map Embarcadero from Reach. 6 v 6 to 8 v 8, asymmetric, very urban with 4 main buildings and driving paths between, as well as a lot of hills and height bumps. I've been testing for quite some time now, I think 1 flag and Slayer are playing pretty solidly, mostly trying to make more flag routes viable and get extraction playing strongly.

• Excavation - Name is temporary for now. Another 6 v 6 map, this time inversely symmetric with 2 bases, a hilly outer circuit, a large central cave that can be used by vehicles, and a few smaller central rooms connected to it. Tested a little for flag and slayer, though it was designed for CTF and Extraction. Seems to be going well, balance between Rocket Hogs, Laser, and Mantis's is interesting.

• A Puzzle Map - No name as of now. I've been working on this since a year into Reach, rebuilt what I had in 4 and added a second room. Based on disorienting the player and being easy to do but difficult to understand. I'm not using any of the normal Halo glitches in this puzzle, it's all about thinking outside the box. Hopefully I'll get the final room figured out someday, the first 2 are golden right now.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I'll be darned, I have a map with the same name. Just wondering, are you using construction/mining aesthetics? My map really doesn't have a good theme at all... I'm considering changing the name if I can find a good theme to work with.
Well, there is a big cave in the middle and a few things that have a little bit of that look, but it's not a strong theme. Not sure if I'll keep the name or not as of now.

Feb 1, 2013
Australia
Screenshots. I'm not downloading anything without seeing a picture.

Also, you claim that it's 90% flat. That's a bad idea.

sought of exaggerating a bit with the flat part anyway it has 2 basses obviously and a structure in the middle and with the flat part i tried to make it open like ce maps
and also ill add an overall picture of the map and one each of the basses

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
sought of exaggerating a bit with the flat part anyway it has 2 basses obviously and a structure in the middle and with the flat part i tried to make it open like ce maps
and also ill add an overall picture of the map and one each of the basses
Actually, you were not exaggerating with the map being flat. You definitely do not want to look at Halo 1 BTB maps for inspiration, as they were designed when there was no BR, DMR, Carbine, etc... You can't segment a map by distance in Halo 4, so you have to actually block line of sight with hard cover, segmentation of areas, or height variation.

Feb 1, 2013
Australia
Actually, you were not exaggerating with the map being flat. You definitely do not want to look at Halo 1 BTB maps for inspiration, as they were designed when there was no BR, DMR, Carbine, etc... You can't segment a map by distance in Halo 4, so you have to actually block line of sight with hard cover, segmentation of areas, or height variation.

thanks for the advice but i have got no budget left so what can i do.
also ill take from what u said that you have seen the pictures so what do you think since its my first BTB map

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
thanks for the advice but i have got no budget left so what can i do.
also ill take from what u said that you have seen the pictures so what do you think since its my first BTB map

Looked at the pictures.

I'm sorry to say this but your map is doomed. I suggest reforging it or making a new map whilst applying structural cover, defined human and vehicle routes, and height variation.

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Working on a new forge island dominion map, was meant to be urban/port but that didn't really work out. Inspired by Vortex and I'm really trying to create good hog pathing and some interesting verticality into the base designs. It's kind of difficult as there are a lot of unnaturally long sightlines with two even being able to cross map. Not entirely sure how to address that at the moment but first I've got to make Alpha and Charlie less awkward to approach.

Taking a bit of a break from Aerolith, my Meet Your Maker Submission. Once that breaks done, I'm looking at redoing Charlie a bit and optimising the map like crazy. Also plan to get support for extraction, flag, koth and the modded neutral bomb gametype up.

Apart from that I have a few ideas that I'm looking into doing which includes a 8 v 8/ 6 v 6 Dominion BTB map on ravine which again focuses on hogs and a bit more verticality. For that I need to ask Narb Guy for permission to use a structure of his on as I think I've found a really cool way to incorporate into the map. I also had an idea for a countdown inspired 2 v 2 and an Impact conversion map with some absolutely crazy shit which I doubt will work including an offensive scorpion and lot of inspiration from Breakpoint.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Working on a new forge island dominion map, was meant to be urban/port but that didn't really work out. Inspired by Vortex and I'm really trying to create good hog pathing and some interesting verticality into the base designs. It's kind of difficult as there are a lot of unnaturally long sightlines with two even being able to cross map.

It's a BTB map. It should have long sightlines (Not too long though). A sightline is a bad one if it's both long AND wide. At least, that's how it is for 4v4 maps. Not sure about them in BTB though.

Flying Shoe ILR, help me out here.