The Movie Thread - Film Lover's Delight

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
For 2012 - Les Miserables, DJango, Lincoln, Looper. I will think of others I am sure.

Very suprised by both Looper and Les Mis. Not suprised by either Lincoln or DJango but got what I expected, which is plain old good movie making in the styles I have come used to. Django is probably Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction.

I still want to see Argo, Cloud Atlas, and Skyfall, so hopefully i can find them soon!

Jan 16, 2013
I saw Zero Dark Thirty on Friday and I must say it was pretty interesting. I myself am a sucker for any movie really, and this movie did not disappoint. I was a bit worried when i saw the run time to be 157 min, but I was then shocked to be interested through the whole movie. The pacing of the movie was done very well with a time span of about 10 years covered in the movie. It was broken into sections and had the right amount of time in each section. I saw Lincoln a few weeks earlier and I thought that was a great movie , but it dragged on. The run time of Lincoln was 150 min which felt way longer than the 157 min for ZDT. My main thought for this was because the subject is more recent in ZDT than Lincoln. All in all, I like both the movies a lot, but i liked ZDT more because the story is fresh and we all have lived through the events in the movie. They both though should be on your watch list if you like those types of movies.

Anyone else see these two movies?

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
I saw both of those movies and liked both but Lincoln is far superior IMO. Just a different type of story and story telling is all. Great performances in zero dark thirty, but I kept feeling like I was watching a CIA propaganda film half the time. Lol

Jan 16, 2013
You have a valid point in that Lincoln was different type of story telling. Going into the movie I had no idea that the movie was going to revolve around how they got the votes. I also did not read anything about the movie prior to viewing it. I can though see your point of the propaganda type film. I am glad though you liked both movies though cause they both are worth watching for the shake of the love of movies and history. ( How accurate they both are though is up in the air on my end, I havnt looked into that)

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
Beasts of the Southern Wild is some EXTREMELY powerful filmmaking. Rented that last week, I was blown away.

interested to see Lincoln. Zero Dark Thirty, not so much.

Essias

C'est la vie, mon ami
Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
For those of you that loved Lucky Number Slevin you should watch The Mexican starring Brad Pitt. It is one of the most underrated movies I've ever seen.

The two movies are nothing alike but if you appreciate the former I'm inclined to believe you'll like the latter. So stylish and made me love Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Carribean, Rango, Lone Ranger). Also, it is NOT a romcom like the ad campaign leads you to believe.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I watched The Mexican a few years back, and it was totally lost on me. I watched it again a few months ago, and it's freaking hilarious. And you're right, it's weird how misleading the cover of the movie is.

Essias

C'est la vie, mon ami
Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Yeah I can understand it being a movie people don't see the value in, it's like an attempt at merging stylish serious movies with movie factory comedies, but it was something I instantly loved and think about often.

Essias

C'est la vie, mon ami
Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Fucking Coen Brothers getting that specific actor for that specific story. Fuck them.

I don't want to be forced to watch a biopic. Goddamnit.

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
I watched "Les Miserables" last night and I quite enjoyed it, first time I've ever really seen a movie that was all musical. I really enjoyed the conflict between Jean Valjean and Javert, despite Russel Crowe's uninspiring singing voice I thought he fit the role quite well and I could look past his vocal performance.

Though I have to say Anne Hathaway really stole the show with her rendition of "Dreamed a Dream", I'll admit I got a little teary eyed. The main drawback for me was that some of the scenes were fairly underwhelming such as the
entire revolution except for the beginning and the opening scene of the movie was a bit over-the-top, though I'll admit it was pretty cool visually.

That said I thought it was awesome and I really want to go see it live.

Plus I always think of this when listening to "Dreamed a Dream":

Reactions: CO BOARDERS

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I watched "Les Miserables" last night and I quite enjoyed it, first time I've ever really seen a movie that was all musical. I really enjoyed the conflict between Jean Valjean and Javert, despite Russel Crowe's uninspiring singing voice I thought he fit the role quite well and I could look past his vocal performance.

When Russel Crowe first opened his mouth, I was really anticipating an epic voice (especially given how much I like Hugh Jackman's) but was also pretty let down. However as it went on, he really grew on me. Especially during One Day More, I thought he sounded pretty darn epic.

Though I have to say Anne Hathaway really stole the show with her rendition of "Dreamed a Dream", I'll admit I got a little teary eyed.

Man tears, bro. Man tears.

Reactions: CO BOARDERS

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
When Russel Crowe first opened his mouth, I was really anticipating an epic voice (especially given how much I like Hugh Jackman's) but was also pretty let down. However as it went on, he really grew on me. Especially during One Day More, I thought he sounded pretty darn epic.

Yeah I know what you mean, he had a powerful presence during that particular performance. He took the role and made it work despite his shortcomings, gotta give him credit for being flexible.

I really, really liked the inner conflict Javert had going on after being freed from captivity I thought Crowe managed to excellently convey the turmoil Javert felt at realizing his entire world view was flawed. While it saddens me I felt Javert's suicide was beautifully done, it was one of the few moments I could really sympathize with the character who was otherwise as cold and unmovable as the law which he represents.

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
I really love les miserables. Pretty amazing movie and probably my favorite movie this year that people will still remember in 20 years

Reactions: Tedium