The Movie Thread - Film Lover's Delight

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Brave was pretty good, though not as good as other Pixar movies.

Oh, I don't know. Watching the others again over Christmas made me kinda depressed. Maybe it's because I've watched each at least five times (except Cars. Fuck Cars.) but I thought my inner child had died or something. Then I watched Brave, and everything was awesome again. My faith continued to renew as I watched How To Train Your Dragon and Tangled for the first time. Love 'em.

Wakko45

Kill-Steal Guru
Dec 30, 2012
Oh, I don't know. Watching the others again over Christmas made me kinda depressed. Maybe it's because I've watched each at least five times (except Cars. Fuck Cars.) but I thought my inner child had died or something. Then I watched Brave, and everything was awesome again. My faith continued to renew as I watched How To Train Your Dragon and Tangled for the first time. Love 'em.

Tangled was a great movie. My girlfriend forced me to watch it with her and I didn't have high expectations but I was pleasantly surprised.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
how to train your dragon is a Dreamworks movie, not Pixar.
and don't you dare say "same difference"

Essias

C'est la vie, mon ami
Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Kung Fu Panda is still their best movie imo. Fucking gorgeous.

How to Train Your Dragon was a closet hit (I didn't want to see it), same with Tangled.

Tangled is awesome. I wish I had seen it in 3D because apparently they did it for artistic reasons (playing with perspective and such in a way that hasn't really been done before).

Speaking of animation, I'm pissed Pixar is making Monsters University. The original movie is probably my favorite animated film and from the trailer it looks like they're tarnishing its legacy :C

Transhuman Plus

Proficient
Dec 28, 2012
Same same same.

My Mom is a manager at a Disney store and she had a customer say she hated the movie because she thought the main character was a lesbian.

Lets hope they never do a Tangled/ Brave Crossover. I don't want Rapunzel and Merida to start lezzing out.

Brave is bad, Tangled is good, The Road to El Dorado is amazing.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
how to train your dragon is a Dreamworks movie, not Pixar.
and don't you dare say "same difference"

Actually, watching those two movies made me prefer Dreamworks over Pixar. Their stories impact me more viscerally.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
same here. dreamworks has really stepped up their game over the past couple years.

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
while they have definitely stepped up in quality (love kung fu panda, thanks sias)

Dreamworks is like... 5 for 25... maybe. some of their shit has been laughably bad at that.

Pixar is like, 11 for 13, and pioneered CG features. Not to mention one of their strongest is a sequel of a sequel.

it'll take a lot more than two good dreamworks animation flicks and years of pixar continually going further down the drain (Finding Nemo 2.) for me to ever say i prefer Dreamworks over Pixar.

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
hahaha i see what you did there

but think about it, phenomenal sequels of sequels, theres what, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Toy Story 3, and Return of the King. it's like an elite club.

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
Wall-E is a total work of art.

what do you guys think of Pacific Rim?

the cast is like, orgasmic. Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Ron Perlman, Clifton Collins Jr, Ellen McLain etc etc but it looks potentially Transformers/Real Steel-y. i hope its just that fucking sound used in all the giant robot movie trailers. WOOOOOOMMMP

and yes, that is the GLaDOS voice in the trailer.

WOOOOOOOOOOMMMMP

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim a while ago, and it looked... alright. It might be gloriously actiony, or it could be pathetically actiony. It's hard to tell until it's in context. I lol'd at GLaDOS's voice.