Data Lost [Feb 26, 2017] Squally's Sunday Skirmishes - Halo 5 (XONE)

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Maps played on 7/13/16:

GrayishPoppy210 - Blade
The Grim Dealer - Heights
OverlordRaven91 - Big M.A.C
IMAROLLINGSTONE - URU
AceOfSpades0707 - Ellesmera
RoastingLamb - The Breaking
Spranklz - Man4
Squally DaBeanz - Stigma

Please leave any feedback you have for the maps you played. I will be posting mine at some point this week. In the meantime, you can catch up on the maps played and the feedback given during the lobbies via the Twitch stream:

(NOTE: The very beginning and end of the stream were cut off due to connection issues.)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2016
Pennsylvania
This post is feed back of last night's map tests

Blade- there is no sence in harping on the frame rate issue this map was plagued by so I'm going to critic the map for what it is, aesthetically I liked the theme of the map it was well done, except for the teleporters which had an obvious entrance but a seemingly invisible exit. The layout was solid but not for a 4v4. A good number for that map would have to be at least 6v6. Especially with the ghosts om the map, I think they played well it was just weird to have it in a 4v4. Lastly, keep playing around with the stronghold locations because the basement was not very powerful.

Heights- I loved the layout of this map, simple but fun. The weapons were great too, a few precision weapons with a bunch of storm rifle which is refreshing, with the saw as the power weapon. Loved it. My only 2 issues with this map was the top of the lift by the saw spawn was cluttered with these squarish pillars on a somewhat narrow ledge. I kept getting into hilarious exchanges where we were chasing each other around the pillars for 30 seconds. Also as far as strongholds go, C was very hard to hold down for more than a few seconds. It was a kill box that would get grenade spammed. Play around with that room and stronghold location

Uru- aesthetically I was getting some great halo 2 vibes so you hit the nail on the head with the theme. The layout was good to but the bottom needs some faster ways to the top, especially bottom mid, if you get caught on foot down there you are a dead man. I feel like the ghosts are a good compliment to that map because it felt fine as a 4v4 just a little bit on the big side. I heard some comments about the scaling of the hallways, I understand that point of view but honestly it didn't bother me, if anything it immersed me more into the forerunner architecture which is famously bigger than it technically needs to be. I don't feel it affected the engagements negatively.

Ellesmera- another aesthetically beautiful map, this map had a solid layout. The initial spawns need to be changed without a doubt. There was one teleporter that didn't seem to have much use because it only led to a spot that was a 2 dozen feet away but higher. The one 90 degree corner that intersected the bridge was powerful but I think you should keep it. Fighting over power positions is almost as fun as controlling power weapons. It's just apart of halo.

I left the lobby before I got the the other maps, sorry! Hope this helped!

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
I'm going to start writing some feedback for the last maps we played. In the meantime, I just made an edit to the original post regarding some of the "rules" about the lobby and how things are run. Take a look:

Now that a file browser is available and I am streaming the lobbies to Twitch, a few things need to be addressed. Firstly, participation is not required to have your map tested, though it is still heavily favored. If you cannot attend the lobby due to scheduling reasons, please let me know and leave a Waypoint link to your map so I can download it before the lobby.

Secondly, I am changing the "rules" about game chat. Because I am streaming the lobbies on Twitch now, my team and I will remain in party chat during matches while the opposing team will switch to game chat. This is so the chat can be heard on stream and any relevant feedback or conversations can be recorded.

Something else to note: I have started something of a partnership with the "Alliance Testing Network". This group has many 4V4 maps currently in their system being tested, and they will eventually expand into other player counts and gametypes. Because I have taken on more of a support role with them, I'll be adding two maps from their database to the lobby lineup each week as backup maps to test. If we have a lot of maps reserved by others, then these ATN maps will be dropped in favor of those.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I'll be coming on Sunday to test out my new 4v4ish map, Aerie. It will be set up for Strongholds but I figure we should start with a Slayer game just to see how it goes, and if there are no major issues and we get to a second test we can try out Strongholds.

So yeah, apparently I still forge. Who knew? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drizzy_Dan

Master
Feb 25, 2013
New York
I'll be coming on Sunday to test out my new 4v4ish map, Aerie. It will be set up for Strongholds but I figure we should start with a Slayer game just to see how it goes, and if there are no major issues and we get to a second test we can try out Strongholds.

So yeah, apparently I still forge. Who knew? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Been seeing you on the Forge lately, I always thought you were looking at other maps. I wanna get a chance to see Aerie. I'll probably tune into the stream again.

Reactions: Skyward Shoe

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
GrayishPoppy210 - Blade -
First and foremost, the serious framerate issues on this map made it nearly unplayable. I flew around in forge to see what the problem was, and saw that you have way too many small rock pieces making up fairly simple shapes. This increase in polygons on the map is causing major performance issues. As for the map itself, the scaling felt far too large for 4V4. Many people complained about not being able to find anyone or effectively get to where they wanted to go. Much of the map is very homogenous, and it's easy to get turned around or lost. The thick fog over the whole map makes this problem even worse. Gameplay was rather slow due to both the size as well as the lack of routes and options between areas. Strategies often boiled down to trying to hold the upper positions and watching the linear approaches to those positions. I recommend going back to the drawing board and focusing more on scaling of the map and giving players multiple options when approaching any given section.

The Grim Dealer - Heights -
This map was pretty solid for an initial blockout, and both games we played were overall enjoyable. As discussed in the lobby, the green side and the middle "pit" are the two major points of concern. At the moment, green side is incredibly lacking in both power and cover when compared to purple. Anyone on green is exposed to many lines of sight at once and are forced to try to hide behind then pillars and lazy cover. Fights on either side of green would often stagnate until someone intervened from another area of the map. If you could find some way to make green feel more structural and connect more naturally to either base, I think players would feel more inclined to use that side of the map. The major problem with the central pit area seems to be a lack of escape routes. Going bottom mid is essentially a death sentence, as there are very few safe routes out. Perhaps the redesign of green could present opportunities to add more hard routes in and out of the middle.

OverlordRaven91 - Big M.A.C -
As you no doubt heard from everyone in the lobby, the major issue with this map at the moment is how linear it is. The general shape of the map is a straight line, and while that may work on some maps, this one is simply lacking in a diversity of lanes to fight through. Most of the combat focused on the central building or the courtyard right next to this, and both of these areas were very isolated from each other. Adding more connectivity throughout the map will allow players to fight between lanes and more easily move from one area to another. The other major issue players faced was an abundance of dead ends. Because many of the paths branching off of the main lane of the map lead nowhere, players avoided them. This just added to the already existing issues of player movement. Finding a way to have the cannon platforms and other branching routes feed back into the map itself will give players more option and allow more movement throughout the map.

IMAROLLINGSTONE - URU -
Because we already discussed the map for a while on XBL and you've already started making changes, I'll keep this brief. As with the first test, the map felt a little over-scaled and fairly linear. This lead to very stagnant gameplay, with players struggling to cross the middle point of the map or having frustrating duels between the flag platforms and the adjacent walkways. Scaling things down to allow more engagements to be within hip-fire RRR, as well as adding some additional routes/flanks for players to use will lead to more flow within the map and less stalemates.

AceOfSpades0707 - Ellesmera -
This map is pretty solid, and has a great theme and atmosphere to boot. Much of the map saw a lot of traffic, though one area in particular saw more than any other. The large building the connects directly to the bridge on the open side of the map was the clear power position, and the only place either team wanted to hold. This is mainly due to how easy it is to watch the approaches to the building. The top of the map is fairly open, and the only two hard routes leading to the building are on the top of the map. It became too easy to sit in the back corner and watch both the bridge approach and the main doorway. Making these approaches safer while making the interior of the building itself more exposed to other lines of sight will significantly reduce its power. I suggest raising the bridge to act as the more dominant position, while keeping it exposed to the upper terrain areas of the map. This would allow players at the teleporter catwalk to stay out of sight of the building itself. As for the teleporter itself, many people felt it was awkward and unnecessary. I understand the need for a connection there, but a teleporter feels like the wrong way to do it. Adding in another hard route up, or even a lift would make the map flow better, and help to further reduce the power of the main building.

RoastingLamb - The Breaking -
While the general layout and concept of this map is pretty solid, I feel it still needs a lot of work before it reaches its full potential. At the moment, much of the geometry in the map is too simplistic. It's far too easy to spawn trap an enemy team, and the individual structures lack the complexity to hold multiple combat situations at once or allow player creativity. The largest of the buildings stood out as the worst offender for this, as it was too easy to either trap players inside or push in and completely wipe them out. This is largely due to the fact that all entrances are on the front of the building. The other structures in the map pose similar problems as well, with everything being connected directly to the middle from the front and nowhere else. If you were to expand upon all the structures, and add more connections between them that didn't always involve being exposed to the center, players could move more freely throughout the map and assist other areas in more interesting ways.

Spranklz - Man4 -
To be quite honest, this map was a bit of a mess. It seemed to lack identity and purpose. There were a lot of disconnected areas, with none serving any clear purpose or having any advantage against each other. Players wandered mindlessly until they saw someone to shoot, and would often end up somewhere they didn't want to be or outside of the playspace entirely. It was difficult to read what was and wasn't playable space, so finding others was very difficult. I think going back to the drawing board and redesigning this one from the ground up is necessary.

Apr 23, 2013
Strongholds on Heights, please.

I addressed all of the complaints from last week. Hopefully, the changes I've made fix the issues that were discussed.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Maps played on 8/7/16:

Flying Shoe ILR - Aerie - Slayer/Strongholds
The Grim Dealer - Heights - Strongholds
IMAROLLINGSTONE - URU RE5 - CTF/Assault
Zac Lee - Prae Exilio - Slayer/Strongholds
xXxMENTALxXx - Ruins - Slayer/Strongholds
N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute - Strongholds
N3gat1veZero - Vespine - Slayer
Squally DaBeanz - Stigma - Strongholds

Please leave any feedback you have for the maps you played. I will be posting mine at some point this week. In the meantime, you can catch up on the maps played and the feedback given during the lobbies via the Twitch stream:

Apr 23, 2013
Strongholds on Heights 0.1.4a and 0.1.4b. I'm trying 2 different Stronghold setups on these, and I want to get a back to back comparison of the two.

I'll understand if you don't want two versions of the same map in rotation, so if that's an issue, go with version A this week and version B next week.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I'll be testing Aerie for slayer again.

I took off the Wasp after realizing that I just don't like the thing much for 4 v 4. I thought it had weaker shields and armor than it does. Plasma caster moved to old Wasp spawn which is now a steamy gravity lift, shotgun moved to old caster position, hydra added at old shotgun position, and some new geometry added to red spawn. Spawns should be somewhat improved by the lack of aerial death bombardments from the Wasp.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Sorry for the late feedback, everyone. This week has been particularly busy for me. Since it's so close to the next lobby, I'm going to keep these relatively short.

Flying Shoe ILR - Aerie -
You're already aware of the major issues last playtest, and have already addressed them, so I'll pass on this one.

The Grim Dealer - Heights -
This version played much better than last time. I would be interested in seeing how Slayer plays and how players move around the map when there are no objectives with this new version. While the changes to green are definitely welcome, I still feel purple may be a little too disconnected from the rest of the map. Perhaps a small window on the front to let players at least see what's going on inside will help with its camp-able nature. As for the Strongholds, I would experiment with a completely new layout. The Stronghold in Purple was definitely in favor of red side due to the upper cubby above it, and the other to Strongholds could too easily support each other.

IMAROLLINGSTONE - URU RE5 -
This map played much better than last time. The additional hallways acting as flanks to each base have worked wonders for the flow of the map. At this point, I only have one major complaint about the geometry itself. I feel the teleporters are making it too easy to get across the map, now that they can be easily accessed via the back hallways. They may be redundant at this point, and I think a test without them would be good to see. Speaking of making things too easy, I (along with others in the lobby) don't think the speed boosts are necessary on this map. They make it too easy to get between bases and run objectives. Also, the arming locations for Assault could benefit from being relocated. Right now, it's too difficult to get an angle on them from other areas in the map to stop enemy players from arming the bomb.

Zac Lee - Prae Exilio -
This map was an interesting one. I really love the theme, and think a lot could be done with this map. However, the whole thing is just too big right now. The interior spaces are a tad over-complicated, and there's too much open space between the structures. Many of the engagements happening outside end up being longer than Red Reticule Range. If the interiors were to be simplified into one or two rooms per building, and have everything borught cloer together with less dead space, the map would play at a much better pace for 4V4s. As for the Stronghold placement, the ideal hold is clearly holding Cave and Hill. This forces the other team to be spawn trapped in Blue base, while the other team can simply run a straight line between the other two Strongholds.

xXxMENTALxXx - Ruins -
This map faces a similar problem as the last one. It's just too big right now. Not only is the size too big, but there are too many intersecting paths and clutter obstructing movement and sightlines. Strategies boiled down to holding the top catwalks and shooting down on enemy players spawning below you. Not only were the lower levels difficult to fight out of, they were difficult to see in as well. Everything under the halfway point in the maps verticality is too dark too see anything, especially the basement. Many people in the lobby felt the basement wasn't even needed as a playspace. It's so disconnected from everything else that there is no point in going down there for Slayer, and the Stronghold in it is too easy to camp.

N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute -
As we talked about, spawns were the biggest issue here. Finally getting to see a blowout match allowed us to see just how badly they could be abused. Now we just need to see how the new setup plays out.

N3gat1veZero - Vespine -
We talked about this in forge too, so I'm going to skip this one.

Reactions: Skyward Shoe
Apr 23, 2013
I'm scraping V0.1.4b in favor of version a, so disregard my previous post. I feel the changes I've made to that version are far better, so I would much rather focus polishing efforts there.

IMAROLLINGSTONE

Proficient
Jun 25, 2013
Map: URU RE6
Gametypes: Assault
Map: Ring World
Gametypes: Team Slayer
Gamertag: IMAROLLINGSTONE
*Be wary of storms and Internet

Last edited:

BRUSKY0086

Novice
Jan 21, 2014
St.Louis,Mo
m.facebook.com
Marius by Brusky0086 would love testing.4v4-Slayer,Strongholds,Assault,CTF,Neutral Flag,or Oddball.Is available now on mine or INFINUT'S files who will be present and representative of me because I have to work.Any feedback will be appreciated and addressed .
PS.Nut will test Fracture and Recurve updates tonight for you as well as promised.Thanks for your time fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.