Data Lost [Feb 26, 2017] Squally's Sunday Skirmishes - Halo 5 (XONE)

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2013
SoldatDuChrist - Colonial -
After seeing the clips you showed me, I realize that there is a lot more to this map than I realized on the few times I've played it. However, that can be a problem in itself. After three games, I was still unaware of half of the routes and movement options on the map. While creative and impressive, these routes end up detracting from the gameplay due to their obscurity, forcing more attention onto the more obvious routes and making the map play in a somewhat linear fashion. If you could find a way to expand these routes to rely less on hidden jumps and make them more obvious to the average player just strolling by, it'll make the map play much better and even closer to the way it's intended.

Slashed Tortoise - Decay -
This map had several glaring issues during our playtest. First and foremost, the map is incredibly flat and relies too heavily on long hallways that offer no other options for movement or combat. What separates an average map from a great one is the potential for creativity, which is achieved through more complex geometry than what you currently have. Try to think of ways to connect areas of the map in different ways, whether that be through rooms, atriums, bridges, etc. Incorporating some more vertical overlap will help this is well, as it will add additional playspace without making the map too large to travel across.

Slashed Tortoise - Decrepit -
This map definitely played better than Decay. The layout was easy to grasp, and the geometry offered a little more variety outside of long hallways. The biggest issue with this map is how simple it is right now. All combat effectively plays on the same vertical plane, and some long lines of sight prevent players from moving through the map. if you were to flesh out each area of the map and add more verticality, it would allow players to more effectively traverse the map as well as have interesting engagements in each individual space.

Duke Of Mearl - Occultis -

This map is all around pretty solid. The only major complaints we had were how easy it was to move from one base to the other for flag runs, and that the lower levels saw less use than expected. If there were a better way to divert traffic from the middle while crossing between bases, more of the map would be played and teams would be able to more effectively set up flag pushes and stops. As for the lower levels, it may be a matter of opening up the routes leading down to allow better engagements between the vertical levels.

Thanks a lot for the test and review,
Decay I can do a bit more with, make the space at blue base smaller I think and some more levels there but also through the alley ways I think I'll make some ledges etc.. Also I'll fix the spawning, it was pretty awful which I apologise for! Aswell as I'll change the weapons to weapon pads!

Decrepit, this is a bit harder due to frame rate, I'll get rid of the bodies as they seem to just get in the way a bit.. The icicles I think will have to go in order for me to make the map play effectively but I'll see what I can do! Again I'll fix the spawning and I'll change the weapons a bit, I didn't realise there was a way to adjust ammo on them which is why I don't use them but I clearly missed something! Bit of a rookie error!

I'll be back with revamped ones at some point! Thanks again!

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Map lineup for 7/17/16:

Dead Cassette - The Guardian - Slayer/Strongholds
IMAROLLINGSTONE - URU - Slayer/CTF
N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute - Slayer/Strongholds
Ryilz noble - Metrament - Slayer/CTF
Darkprince909 - Condemned - Slayer/Strongholds
Xdemption - Fullmetal - Slayer/Strongholds
Squally DaBeanz - Stigma - Slayer/Strongholds

Be sure to RSVP using the new lobby system, then send me a message on XBL to get an invitation.

Last edited:

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Maps played on 7/17/16:

Dead Cassette - The Guardian - Slayer/Strongholds
N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute - Slayer/Strongholds
Ryilz noble - Metrament - Slayer/CTF
Darkprince909 - Condemned - Slayer/Strongholds
Xdemption - Fullmetal - Slayer/Strongholds
Squally DaBeanz - Stigma - Slayer/Strongholds

Please leave any feedback you have for the maps you played. I will be posting mine at some point this week. In the meantime, you can catch up on the maps played and the feedback given during the lobbies via the Twitch stream:

Reactions: Drizzy_Dan

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Dead Cassette - The Guardian -
As you no don't already heard in both my lobby and in Duck's lobby, the map is simply too large. The original Guardian was designed with 4v4 in mind, and that includes the proportions of the map and distance of the lines of sight. Simply upscaling that geometry lead to a less than ideal player experience. If you want to create something along the lines of Guardian but for a larger player count, I would reccommend doing some research on what made Guardian play the way it did and understanding the core design concepts. Once you have a pretty good understanding of that, you can move on to figuring out ways to include those design pillars into something larger.

IMAROLLINGSTONE - URU -
The biggest problem facing this map at the moment is some of the scaling, particularly in the courtyards. Everything feels very tall compared to the player and hard to reach. The other major issue I noticed is the fact that most of the routes converge on the middle of the map with no opportunities to flank around and sneak behind enemy lines. I think the flag placement and the inclusion of the Ghosts is worth keeping, but the shade turrets felt gimmicky at best. If you were to scale down some of the large proportions of the map and add a few more side routes and flanks, you'll be onto something good here.

N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute -
Not a whole lot to say here. The new changes are definitely playing well, and Slayer is always a blast on here. As you know, my biggest complaint is the REQ weapons on the map, especially that Needler. Aside from that, I think the map is in a final polish stage. You just have to continue working on nailing down those Stronghold locations, spawns, weapons, etc.

Ryilz noble - Metrament -
This map was surprisingly fun for its seemingly simple layout. All parts of the map saw traffic, and movement was simple and intuitive. The biggest problem I saw was the overuse of the "wings" on the open side of the map. The large slanted floors around this area are awkward to fight on at times, and provide too much cover from the rest of the map, making it the ideal flag route. If these areas could be flattened out to provide a more stable combat space and more danger from higher positions in the map, I think more areas will see use when crossing from side to side or running flags. The only other suggestions I heard were to make the back enclosed corners by the bases a little more interesting.

Darkprince909 - Condemned -
This map was definitely one of the more interesting and unique ones. The aesthetic style was pulled off very well. However, the map felt a bit too large at times, especially during Slayer. Players would often wander for over a minute at a time without finding anyone, and some of the transitions through the map felt convoluted, such as the jumping pillars and teleporters. The teleporters did not communicate their functionality very well, and the pillars were overly difficult to move on, and ended up being avoided altogether. The strongholds proved to be less than ideal as well. River and Blue Cave proved to be the best hold, with Red Cave acting as a spawn trap that was disconnected from the rest of the map.

GrayishPoppy210

Qualified
Apr 27, 2016
By the way, are you sure you want to test this map in a 4V4 environment? It' seemed pretty big even for 8V8 in Duck's lobby the other night.

Oh. I thought this was 8v8 as well lol.
Put this map in instead then although it's pretty much finished now.

Map name: blade
Gamertag: GrayishPoppy210
Gamemodes: strongholds, slayer

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
So, last minute change of plans. This week, I'm going to forego the usual system to join forces with Xdemption in doing a final mega testing lobby for possible matchmaking maps. It is very likely that we already have a set roster for players as well, so I won't be sending out invites. However, if you would like to watch the lobby, it will be streamed by Xdemption when he is host, and by myself when I am host.

Xdemption's stream will be starting at 2:30 P.M. PST/5:30 P.M. EST, as well as 9:30 P.M. PST/12:30 A.M. EST.
My stream will be between these, starting at 6:00 P.M. PST/9:00 P.M. PST.

For those who did sign up, I apologize. The lobby will return to the normal testing next week, and your maps will be at the top of the list.

Reactions: redemption1272

deathwish9x

Master
Apr 17, 2014
I'd play, but seeing as my xbone is downstairs around my family, I probably wouldn't talk. Plus I need to put my headphones right to my mouth for the sound to be picked up. I don't currently have the money for a decent set of gaming headphones

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Map lineup for 7/31/16:

GrayishPoppy210 - Blade - Strongholds/Slayer
The Grim Dealer - Heights - Strongholds
OverlordRaven91 - Big M.A.C - Slayer
AceOfSpades0707 - Ellesmera - Slayer/Strongholds
RoastingLamb - The Breaking - Slayer/Strongholds
Squally DaBeanz - Stigma - Strongholds

Be sure to RSVP using the new lobby system, then send me a message on XBL to get an invitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.