Data Lost [Feb 26, 2017] Squally's Sunday Skirmishes - Halo 5 (XONE)

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Maps played on 7/3/16:

N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute - Asymmetrical Covenant structure in a cave.
GIOVANNI 13n - Crossguard - Sanctuary remake.
Max Extra - Legacy - Symmetrical icy Forerunner arena.
WeedCough - Recluse - Asymmetrical stone structure among cliffs.
Squally DaBeanz - Stigma - Asymmetrical Guardian styled map.

Please leave any feedback you have for the maps you played. I will be posting mine at some point this week.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute - Not much need to discuss how the map played at this point, since we just spent a while today discussing major geometry changes, so I'm just gonna pass on this one.

GIOVANNI 13n - Crossguard - The major complaint from everyone in the lobby is that this map is way too big compared to the original. Flag runs were nearly impossible to complete due to the vast open fields and sightlines, and the games we played were very slow overall. Scaling everything down is your number one priority at this point.

Max Extra - Legacy - This map has a very good concept and a lot of potential. Right now, the biggest things holding it back are the relatively small nature of the map and the messy geometry. Many players in the lobby complained about awkward sightlines and cover due to the overabundance of small corners/ramps and thin pillars/railings. These awkward lines of sight were made even more problematic by the color palette and the fog in the map. It was very difficult to see another player moving across the map, and to have that player survive gunfire because of a series of thin pieces of geometry proved very frustrating. Aside from thin and awkward geometry, the other major problem that came up was the bases. Many players agreed that the bases could be fleshed out a bit more to better serve as homes for each team, and provide more interesting combat, especially during CTF matches.

WeedCough - Recluse - Opposite of Legacy, this map proved to be far too large for a 4v4 environment. Much of the combat focused on the central structure, but theses fights devolved into simple strafing matches on a flat surface with the occasional wall to break things up. The outer areas of the map were largely ignored because they simply could not interact with the middle of the map at those extreme distances. The other major complaint was the lack of vertical movement options. Players are forced to travel long distances, often in the opposite direction of where they need to go, to find some way to move up. Overall, the map needs to be scaled down, and the outer areas need to be reworked to provide more power over the middle, as well as more options to move up and down the map.

Jul 3, 2016
!UPDATES!

MAP: Colonial
http://www.forgehub.com/maps/colonial.3000/
GTag: SoldatDuChrist
GTypes: Slayer & Strongholds

UPDATES:
• Stronghold placment adjusting
• New interactive line of sight dynamic
• Aesthetic updates
• Player can now clamber to top mid, from bottom mid (shotgun)
• Lighting improvements

Last edited:

CDX34

Master
Mar 23, 2015
If I'm still allowed in the lobby, I'd be glad to fill an empty slot if there happens to be one.
No map though, so no worries if there's no room or something.

CDX34

Master
Mar 23, 2015
Colonial - While this map has it's fair share of pathways, the majority of them rely on overly dangerous trick jumps and lead to the same handful of places, more hard routes would definitely improve movement throughout the map. The hard routes that exist currently are also a bit oddly sized, feeling too big for a 4v4 setting, but too small for 8v8. Another big issue is with the death pits inside the map, they don't look like death pits but somewhere safe to land. Aside from the clear movement issues, I quite like this map, there's cover where there needs to be, the weapons on the map work well with it, and it has a very well done visual theme.

Decay - I had trouble finding a real opinion on this map. The biggest problem I had with this map was the spawns, they're completely static, and rather one sided at that. It's an uphill struggle for blue team to leave their spawn area, and if they do manage to get out red team can very easily push them back as there aren't any real "away" spawns, red team also seems to spawn much closer to any power weapons on the map, giving them more of an advantage than they already had. The one good thing I have to say about this map is about the way it looks, it definitely feels like an abandoned military base... Don't know if that's the theme you were going for, but that's what it felt like to Me.

Decrepit - The spawns aren't as bad on this map, though you might wanna pay more attention to which way they're facing, as a lot of them are facing walls and cliffs. The map flows pretty well in terms of movement, however there isn't much indication as to what is and isn't a hole in the ground, especially around the top mid/monolith area. The map looks really good, and it reminds Me a lot of Narrows from Halo 3.

Occultist - I, love, this map. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it's a little too big for 4v4. I think BTB might be a bit chaotic on this map though, so maybe multi-team? I'm honestly not sure what could change about this map to make it better, other than what's played on it. I didn't get to play an objective gametype on it though, so maybe it works better with that.

And that's the end of My feedback. A storm rolled in that night and knocked out My internet, so I didn't get to play on all the maps. (Figures the one time My connection isn't terrible, nature would do something about that.) Sorry if that caused any trouble during the lobby.

Reactions: SlashedTortoise
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks alot for the review and map test! Ill take a look at the layout of Decay and now with the increased budget see if i can make the blue base a bit better so i can sort out the power weapon positions and the spawning problem!
And yes it is an abandoned military air base!

With Decrepit ill have a look at the spawns and try and make them better positioned and ill see if i can find a way to make it a bit more distinctive where the edges of the map are.. not sure how im going to but ill find a way
And the map was inspired partly by narrows! so im glad you got that sort of feeling
ill make the changes and then come back with a fixed versions as well as a new map ive jsut finished!
Thanks again!

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Written feedback will be posted later tonight. In the meantime, here are the recordings of the lobby for any verbal feedback given by others. The stream randomly dropped part way through, so there are two videos with a short gap between them.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
SoldatDuChrist - Colonial -
After seeing the clips you showed me, I realize that there is a lot more to this map than I realized on the few times I've played it. However, that can be a problem in itself. After three games, I was still unaware of half of the routes and movement options on the map. While creative and impressive, these routes end up detracting from the gameplay due to their obscurity, forcing more attention onto the more obvious routes and making the map play in a somewhat linear fashion. If you could find a way to expand these routes to rely less on hidden jumps and make them more obvious to the average player just strolling by, it'll make the map play much better and even closer to the way it's intended.

Slashed Tortoise - Decay -
This map had several glaring issues during our playtest. First and foremost, the map is incredibly flat and relies too heavily on long hallways that offer no other options for movement or combat. What separates an average map from a great one is the potential for creativity, which is achieved through more complex geometry than what you currently have. Try to think of ways to connect areas of the map in different ways, whether that be through rooms, atriums, bridges, etc. Incorporating some more vertical overlap will help this is well, as it will add additional playspace without making the map too large to travel across.

Slashed Tortoise - Decrepit -
This map definitely played better than Decay. The layout was easy to grasp, and the geometry offered a little more variety outside of long hallways. The biggest issue with this map is how simple it is right now. All combat effectively plays on the same vertical plane, and some long lines of sight prevent players from moving through the map. if you were to flesh out each area of the map and add more verticality, it would allow players to more effectively traverse the map as well as have interesting engagements in each individual space.

Duke Of Mearl - Occultis -

This map is all around pretty solid. The only major complaints we had were how easy it was to move from one base to the other for flag runs, and that the lower levels saw less use than expected. If there were a better way to divert traffic from the middle while crossing between bases, more of the map would be played and teams would be able to more effectively set up flag pushes and stops. As for the lower levels, it may be a matter of opening up the routes leading down to allow better engagements between the vertical levels.

Dead Cassette

Novice
Jul 13, 2016
If you're planning on testing for BTB, check out Psycho Duck's "Monday Map Testing" lobby here, as he is the one currently testing for BTB maps while I run lobbies for 4v4s.
oh alright. i already singed up for his lobby. i copied and pasted the same thing to your reply and i forgot to leave out the phrase BTB. i actually want to test this map with 4v4 as well. the map size is kind of right in the middle so i want to try both lobby's if that's ok with you

Last edited:

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
oh alright. i already singed up for his lobby. i copied and pasted the same thing to your reply and i forgot to leave out the phrase BTB. i actually want to test this map with 4v4 as well. the map size is kind of right in the middle so i want to try both lobby's if that's ok with you
No problem. Just a forewarning though, maps that try to be right in the middle often end up being sub-par for both. I'd say test it for both, and see which one it plays better for, then try to cater it to that player count specifically.

Dead Cassette

Novice
Jul 13, 2016
No problem. Just a forewarning though, maps that try to be right in the middle often end up being sub-par for both. I'd say test it for both, and see which one it plays better for, then try to cater it to that player count specifically.
i agree with you 100% this is why i want to try both lobby's to see where it exactly falls under plus its in beta so a lot could change as i have 600 pieces left. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.