Castle Map Pack - Outcast [First Look]

To be fair, Halo has always had a focus on large map, vehicle based combat as well as Arena style gameplay. Right now, this seems to be growing more. I don't know if this is good or bad overall (though I personally like more BTB because of my personal biases) but regardless, Halo has always had a focus on these kinds of maps as well as Arena maps.

Taking a second look at the map I'm feeling a little better, though my initial thoughts on vehicles being worked against are stronger. As long as players are not overly aggressive with vehicles they should be alright, but going through the middle is a deathtrap, especially with the Wraith or Warthog, which are so vulnerable to sticking and hijacks. I'm not as excited by the layout as I am for Perdition, but the atmosphere is something cool and new (and very well done) and the layout looks at least solid. Obviously I still think there are problems with Halo 4's core gameplay, but I try not to let those taint my perception of the maps design.

BTB might be the most played but i would bet its because halo has moved away from skilled shooter (and so have the skilled shooters moved away from halo) to a more all-encompassing game where they try for newbs to have the best experience they can, big team is right up their alley. I'm just sad halo is becoming shit.

Halo 4 is in need of like, 3 more map packs. Each one should contain a 4v4 map, BTB map, and a Forge Canvas. That would fix things.
As for this malarkey, the map looks inherently broken because of Halo 4's EMP spamming in BTB and everyone using Plasma Grenades.

Oh yes, definitely... That explains why we've got such amazing population numbers online since it's strayed further from it's Arena Shooter roots... Spot on mate, spot on!
Look at Halo 3's numbers and tell me that again. Halo 4 moved CLOSER to it's "arena shooter roots" which is why it's failing.

Yes, that's why we have load outs, perks and kill streaks in H4... That's sooooooo Arena Shooter. SMH.
I don't like it, but he makes a good point. H4 is much more similar to CoD than most gamers want to admit. The arena shooter feel is kind of leaving. But I like Halo's evolution, taking the good parts of CoD and meshing them with Halo. It's becoming a much more competitive game than it ever was before. That's why CoD is so well-liked, because it's incredibly competitive.

I don't like it, but he makes a good point. H4 is much more similar to CoD than most gamers want to admit. The arena shooter feel is kind of leaving. But I like Halo's evolution, taking the good parts of CoD and meshing them with Halo. It's becoming a much more competitive game than it ever was before. That's why CoD is so well-liked, because it's incredibly competitive.

You've got that wrong actually... CoD's devs intentionally condensed the skill gap in the game to make it easier to pick up and more rewarding to play. Most developers today are doing this as well. The games are less competitive but make up for it with an fun/easy factor. Blops2 however did something right and embraced spectator mode, streaming and the competitive community, where as 343i often straight up mocks and lies to their community. It makes sense that so many competitive gamers hopped ship from the Halo franchise.... But don't think for a second CoD is in any sort of a way an incredibly competitive game. It's just a game people are competitive on. Big difference.

Blops2 however did something right and embraced spectator mode, streaming and the competitive community, where as 343i often straight up mocks and lies to their community
So is that why 343i are constantly coming out with updates to help the competitive community while blops 2, as far as i know, hasnt had any major changes?

You've got that wrong actually... CoD's devs intentionally condensed the skill gap in the game to make it easier to pick up and more rewarding to play. Most developers today are doing this as well. The games are less competitive but make up for it with an fun/easy factor. Blops2 however did something right and embraced spectator mode, streaming and the competitive community, where as 343i often straight up mocks and lies to their community. It makes sense that so many competitive gamers hopped ship from the Halo franchise.... But don't think for a second CoD is in any sort of a way an incredibly competitive game. It's just a game people are competitive on. Big difference.
And the players are competitive because the game itself has a far more competitive atmosphere. You have to bust ass to get any kind of advanced weapons and skins in CoD, but in Halo it's kind of a cakewalk. I got Halo 4 on Christmas Day, and hit the level cap exactly 67 days later, playing for maybe an hour or two a day, and some days not at all. That's a cakewalk. In CoD, I have friends who've been playing since release and are still working to get stuff, and they're GOOD. The reward system makes the game feel more competitive, but in Halo 4 the reward system is mildly broken, especially because most armor sets aren't even worth getting. The only ones worth a damn are operator and pathfinder, the rest you can live without and be perfectly happy. As for fun/easy, Halo is much more casual (sans MLG, which I refuse to count those bunny-hopping assholes) of a game than CoD. Grifball? Totally a game just made for fun. CoD doesn't have anything close to that. All of them have a competitive edge. Halo? Not so much.

And the players are competitive because the game itself has a far more competitive atmosphere. You have to bust ass to get any kind of advanced weapons and skins in CoD, but in Halo it's kind of a cakewalk. I got Halo 4 on Christmas Day, and hit the level cap exactly 67 days later, playing for maybe an hour or two a day, and some days not at all. That's a cakewalk. In CoD, I have friends who've been playing since release and are still working to get stuff, and they're GOOD. The reward system makes the game feel more competitive, but in Halo 4 the reward system is mildly broken, especially because most armor sets aren't even worth getting. The only ones worth a damn are operator and pathfinder, the rest you can live without and be perfectly happy. As for fun/easy, Halo is much more casual (sans MLG, which I refuse to count those bunny-hopping assholes) of a game than CoD. Grifball? Totally a game just made for fun. CoD doesn't have anything close to that. All of them have a competitive edge. Halo? Not so much.

Now you're confusing "competitive" with opperant conditioning... The rewards system has nothing to do with competitive merit of the game itself.

I think you're trying to split hairs and push technicalities. It's competitive. The rewards system is completely involved with the competitive nature of the gameplay.

I think you're trying to split hairs and push technicalities. It's competitive. The rewards system is completely involved with the competitive nature of the gameplay.

You're mistaking the concept of mechanics that encourage competitive play with mechanics that are inherently competitive in nature. Massive cones of fire weapons (spread), negligible differences in kill times, uneven player settings and extreme ease of play are at their core NOT COMPETITIVE SETTINGS. The game has an extremely condensed skill gap and an extremely low skill ceiling. It's harder for players to differentiate themselves from one another because there is little room to do so. As a whole, CoD is a less skillful game to play than many other competitive titles.

Hell, next thing you'll tell me is that it's more Competitive than Quake Arena or Unreal Tournament because it has more players and those games don't have a ranking/unlock system like CoD does...

Did I get lost some how? Am I actually on Waypoint by mistake? Or has the ignorance bug spread to more communities?

You're mistaking the concept of mechanics that encourage competitive play with mechanics that are inherently competitive in nature. Massive cones of fire weapons (spread), negligible differences in kill times, uneven player settings and extreme ease of play are at their core NOT COMPETITIVE SETTINGS. The game has an extremely condensed skill gap and an extremely low skill ceiling. It's harder for players to differentiate themselves from one another because there is little room to do so. As a whole, CoD is a less skillful game to play than many other competitive titles.

Hell, next thing you'll tell me is that it's more Competitive than Quake Arena or Unreal Tournament because it has more players and those games don't have a ranking/unlock system like CoD does...

Did I get lost some how? Am I actually on Waypoint by mistake? Or has the ignorance bug spread to more communities?
What the hell crawled up your ass and made you this bitter? Are you some old ass gamer who comes to threads on this site to grief everyone? Because everywhere I go, you're there, talking shit. Everywhere.
CoD is far harder to play than Halo. Trust me, I know. I suck massive cock at CoD, because I'm a Halo gamer. I like less competition in my games, and more aliens and weapons that blow the living shit out of people. I hear what you're saying with the spread and kill times, that irritates me too. All the time. But it's like you're refusing to get that this is HALO. The weapons were never supposed to be compared to each other until THIS GAME. Even then, each weapon has a shining feature that makes it more useful to certain gamers. That's Halo 4.
Btw, Quake Arena and Unreal Tournament? Really? Those are in a completely different league than games like Halo and CoD. Don't insult me.

What the hell crawled up your ass and made you this bitter? Are you some old ass gamer who comes to threads on this site to grief everyone? Because everywhere I go, you're there, talking shit. Everywhere.
CoD is far harder to play than Halo. Trust me, I know. I suck massive cock at CoD, because I'm a Halo gamer. I like less competition in my games, and more aliens and weapons that blow the living shit out of people. I hear what you're saying with the spread and kill times, that irritates me too. All the time. But it's like you're refusing to get that this is HALO. The weapons were never supposed to be compared to each other until THIS GAME. Even then, each weapon has a shining feature that makes it more useful to certain gamers. That's Halo 4.
Btw, Quake Arena and Unreal Tournament? Really? Those are in a completely different league than games like Halo and CoD. Don't insult me.

Actually, I AM an old and bitter gamer.... And I'm only griefing the ignoramuses that can't tell knob from end what makes a game competitive or not, or what makes a map decent or not.

FYI, differentiation in kill times is a basic aspect of arena shooters. Halo is a sandbox arena shooter. Quake and UT are twitch arena shooters. CoD is a squad based shooter. The weapons in Halo were always supposed to be niche weapons that were compared to each other. They're meant to be in balance to each other. The main difference between previous titles and what we have now is that there's a plethora of utility weapons that have different traits, but are fundamentally balanced with each other... Unfortunately this load out system is a major departure form the arena genre where all players should be starting with essentially the same weapons/abilities...

I don't even know how I can explain this to you... Is it even worth my time when none of this is sinking in at all?