Gaming Xbox "One" Reveal!

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
I know, but it kinda explains a lot of the points that people are upset about

Yeah, more or less... I saw a lot of "Hopefully" and such, and it seemed to be a pro microsoft POV (Its OXM, lol)

But still, if it clarifies, it clarifies, and its always good to be up to date. :)

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Yeah, more or less... I saw a lot of "Hopefully" and such, and it seemed to be a pro microsoft POV (Its OXM, lol)

But still, if it clarifies, it clarifies, and its always good to be up to date. :)
I think most of the points are valid, people are painting it as either an NSA spy-machine or "OMG LOOK AT THE RESTRICTIONS!" when the whole point is that its moving forward. For me, the PS4 is fine, its a more powerful PS3, but... I'd rather buy a Wii U, like... is the future "no need for internet checkins because we still require disks!" and "no need for always-on camera, because we don't need one!"? I just don't think that doing the same exact thing is ever a good idea; at least Nintendo and MS did something new. I'm looking forward to the Steam Box, the OUJA is pretty awesome, I'm hoping the Wii U works out, but most of all I'm hoping the One is done right. It doesn't really matter to me if it sells well or not, I just want to have this all-in-one intuitive entertainment center, like how it should be.

What I'm seeing from the PS4 is "we did the same exact thing we've been doing since the first Playstation, but LOL LOOK AT MICROSOFT'S NEW STUFF", and they're trying to make a gaming platform based on relatively meh indie titles. It just seems silly to me... but again, MS's success should depend on how well they pull off the integration. Used games should be irrelevant with a proper game store (see how Steam does it? that's what you can do with non-physical media. physical disks more than double the cost of games!), borrowing games should be intuitive and fair to both players and producers (but I don't want physical media. I want to be able to say "okay, i'm at my friends, now I want to log in to my account and download/play my game while I'm here", and then when I leave I want it to not work there anymore), the camera should only take in the information it needs (I'm 99% sure this is already true, but we'll need some MS clarification to be sure). Most importantly, that interface has to be EXCELLENT. It has to feel smooth, easy, intuitive to browse to Netflix, multi-task with Skype, switch to a game, etc etc. The voice recognition has to actually only listen to my voice, and it needs to respond correctly and quickly. These things need to be done really well for the console to succeed, but I think (hope) they will be done how I imagine they will be.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
I think most of the points are valid, people are painting it as either an NSA spy-machine or "OMG LOOK AT THE RESTRICTIONS!" when the whole point is that its moving forward. For me, the PS4 is fine, its a more powerful PS3, but... I'd rather buy a Wii U, like... is the future "no need for internet checkins because we still require disks!" and "no need for always-on camera, because we don't need one!"? I just don't think that doing the same exact thing is ever a good idea; at least Nintendo and MS did something new. I'm looking forward to the Steam Box, the OUJA is pretty awesome, I'm hoping the Wii U works out, but most of all I'm hoping the One is done right. It doesn't really matter to me if it sells well or not, I just want to have this all-in-one intuitive entertainment center, like how it should be.

What I'm seeing from the PS4 is "we did the same exact thing we've been doing since the first Playstation, but LOL LOOK AT MICROSOFT'S NEW STUFF", and they're trying to make a gaming platform based on relatively meh indie titles. It just seems silly to me... but again, MS's success should depend on how well they pull off the integration. Used games should be irrelevant with a proper game store (see how Steam does it? that's what you can do with non-physical media. physical disks more than double the cost of games!), borrowing games should be intuitive and fair to both players and producers (but I don't want physical media. I want to be able to say "okay, i'm at my friends, now I want to log in to my account and download/play my game while I'm here", and then when I leave I want it to not work there anymore), the camera should only take in the information it needs (I'm 99% sure this is already true, but we'll need some MS clarification to be sure). Most importantly, that interface has to be EXCELLENT. It has to feel smooth, easy, intuitive to browse to Netflix, multi-task with Skype, switch to a game, etc etc. The voice recognition has to actually only listen to my voice, and it needs to respond correctly and quickly. These things need to be done really well for the console to succeed, but I think (hope) they will be done how I imagine they will be.

They have to do it well... well is not a word I equate with microsoft, in all aspects of there company, and I have little to no faith in microsoft to do this any different! Yes, if they can pull of steam sales, that would be amazing! But when asked about it, they just pointed to the sales they currently put up, which are meh at best, and a rip off at worst... With the kinect, it was shitty in the first one. At worst, it heard my speakers say "Rewind" and started rewinding a video, when I am all snuggled up in bed! It kept hearing voice commands when I wasn't even talking to it, and using it required me to be 10 feet away from the sensor! And Kinect microphones on xbox 360... don't even get me started! Kinect 1 sucked, and they put this new one in, but I don't want too use it! I don't want it to hear me say "rewind" in a conversation, and rewind my video. I am ok with buying it, but I would rather put it in my closet, and not use it.

If they pull these things off and make it intuitive, that's great! Awesome!
But I don't trust the Xbox One to pull it of great, after the 360's integration.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
They have to do it well... well is not a word I equate with microsoft, in all aspects of there company, and I have little to no faith in microsoft to do this any different! Yes, if they can pull of steam sales, that would be amazing! But when asked about it, they just pointed to the sales they currently put up, which are meh at best, and a rip off at worst... With the kinect, it was shitty in the first one. At worst, it heard my speakers say "Rewind" and started rewinding a video, when I am all snuggled up in bed! It kept hearing voice commands when I wasn't even talking to it, and using it required me to be 10 feet away from the sensor! And Kinect microphones on xbox 360... don't even get me started! Kinect 1 sucked, and they put this new one in, but I don't want too use it! I don't want it to hear me say "rewind" in a conversation, and rewind my video. I am ok with buying it, but I would rather put it in my closet, and not use it.

If they pull these things off and make it intuitive, that's great! Awesome!
But I don't trust the Xbox One to pull it of great, after the 360's integration.
Yeah, exactly. It's like... I really do want this to work out, but we'll only know if its done right when it comes out. Bing's voice control is pretty good, so that gives me hope that this will be as smooth and future-y as I hope it will be, but it is Microsoft...

Hadokenchild

Proficient
Mar 6, 2013

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/06/17/poll-results-has-microsoft’s-drm-policies-doomed-xbox-one#.UcIQiOgo7bU

Well according to 60% of the votes, the gaming community is already burying the xbone due to DRM. At this point we can assume that means Doesn't Receive Money.
That's dumb; Steam has DRM, and see how well it works? Like I've been saying, depends on how MS handles it, but if they do it right, I'm totally fine with DRM, just like I'm fine with it on Steam. I'm talking $40 new games, very regular high-quality deals, free weekends, etc etc

Hadokenchild

Proficient
Mar 6, 2013
I get that people are used to it with PC's, it's been that way for a long time. The reason being is that they're multi use systems. They actually need EULAs and DRM because you are completely copying the data to your HD. You can, if so inclined, redistribute/resell/burn-to-disc/copy that data without the need for physical media for verification. This is where the legalities of using PC based sofwater come in to protect the developers. Consoles, on the other hand, are limited use devices. Game goes in, game comes out, no data left on the system. These are specifically covered by Right Of First Sale. Even when current generation consoles allowed part of the data to be installed, it was useless without the game disc, still deeming it as limited in use.

Now with the next gen, they are trying to create a PC DRM business model on a (still) limited use device. This will ensure MS a monopoly on pricing, as there will be no other distribution method for purchasing those games at competing prices. There have been games on demand (full digital downloads) that were in the $50 range. So much for the idea that once things go digital, they instantly become "cheap". If MS wants to go head to head with Steam, do it on a PC. Leave console gaming entirely. If they insist on continuing to make consoles then they need to play nice, ditch the restrictions, DRM, and anti-used policie. And, most importantly, make the extra features purely optional, and come in at a rediculously lower price.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
Thanks, assholes, for being so up in arms about the DRM. Now we won't have the badass ability to share digital games with "family members".

I would have liked that, but to be honest, I wouldn't particularly miss it. Though they haven't actually said that they'd stop the family sharing plan.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
Thanks, assholes, for being so up in arms about the DRM. Now we won't have the badass ability to share digital games with "family members".

And if we had calmed down, and didn't raise our pitchforks, they would have done nothing.

That being said, this had thrown a corkscrew in my console buying plans. And now I am in the middle.

But yes, good job Microsoft for listening to your fan base (because you were going to lose an ass ton of money, but still... proud of you.)!

pinohkio

Proficient
Dec 30, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
And if we had calmed down, and didn't raise our pitchforks, they would have done nothing.

That being said, this had thrown a corkscrew in my console buying plans. And now I am in the middle.

But yes, good job Microsoft for listening to your fan base (because you were going to lose an ass ton of money, but still... proud of you.)!

What about the DRM was such a deciding factor? Always online? All the titles are online anyway.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
What about the DRM was such a deciding factor? Always online? All the titles are online anyway.

Yes.
DRM, on Used games, and DRM for games, don't belong on consoles. (In this generation. I know this will change EVENTUALLY... but not now)
Internet is not perfect in any stretch of the imagination, and we should not be basing our technology off a Always on Ecosystem (Yet.).

That being said, it still doesn't fix the lower GPU, the Ram taken up by the 3 OS's, it doesn't fix the price tag, it doesn't fix the Indie Game Support, it doesn't fix the ad filled dashboard, it doesn't fix the always on kinect, it doesn't fix the games at E3 being run on High end PC's, and it doesn't fix my trust in microsoft going forward.

So yeah... I am happy about this announcement, but it does not fix EVERYTHING.

(EDIT: All titles are online? I can't play Skyrim or Minecraft when I don't have an internet connection? o_O)

Reactions: Hadokenchild

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
Well, if they really plan on doing this then they better make a big announcement of it (reversing the drm policies). Gain some customers back either now or never. Personally I don't really like this at all. I'm perfectly fine with all the decisions Microsoft made with this. I don't like the kinect or the x1's pricing, but other than that I'm fine with everything else. Now I won't be able to play games anytime I want to (without a disc or having to worry about disc scratches) because the majority is scared to move forward.