Which Gametypes Do You Want in Halo 5: Guardians?

Which game modes do you most want to see added to Halo 5?

• Assault (one bomb, neutral bomb, multi bomb)

Votes: 122 40.1%
  • One Flag CTF

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • King of the Hill (crazy king, sequential hill)

Votes: 129 42.4%
  • Oddball

Votes: 103 33.9%
  • Ricochet

Votes: 86 28.3%
  • Asymmetrical territories

Votes: 70 23.0%
  • Infection

Votes: 254 83.6%
  • Race (rally, rocket race)

Votes: 152 50.0%
  • Extraction

Votes: 59 19.4%
  • Other (specify below)

Votes: 58 19.1%

• Total voters

XenoMorph37

Novice
Nov 12, 2015
I know I would like to see invasion to return because I loved making maps using that game type there wasn't a better game type or game types than the ones from Halo Reach

Jul 17, 2015
Definitely need infection with an option to include/take away some sort of flood appearance model. Also, I would really like to see VIP make a return to halo! It was such a fun game mode in Halo 3 with the "protect the president" gametype! Another idea for future DLC could be a Warzone map somehow combined with the Infection game mode! Hear me out! One team starts as the survivors and the other as the Infected. The survivors must capture objectives/kill flood bosses and destroy the core to win and the Infected must kill/convert the survivors team to win. This gamemode could be very fun with AI flood running around and complete chaos! Let me know what you guys think!

Marakitus

Novice
Nov 17, 2015
I agreeeee with Chicken! Infection is definitely need, plus perhaps a Team Objective playlist in multiplayer. I would also love to see KotH, Oddball, Headhunter, VIP and Race (including variants) return to the game. Though most of these should have probably been in at launch!

Mimlop

Novice
Nov 22, 2015
Above all else we need king of the hill as this mechanic is the key component to so many maps and mini games that it needs to take priority. You can do so much with a hill if you just add some titanium hwite

Reactions: Psychoduck
Dec 3, 2015
We need Griffball. I'm surprised it's not on the list. With the severe lack of social playlist we just need a game type like this to just casually play. And maybe they can add energy sword a gravity hammer skins so you and your team can have matching weapons

Dec 3, 2015
Obviously, Infection and Race. But personally, and I don't care if it's superfluous or not, I really want Dominion. Because I really, really feel like I can do some cool stuff with my Defend the House gametype.
Actually, I'd be happy if I could do that on any other game mode, but Dominion is the only one I know that will actually work for it.
I'd like dominion just for custom games. Not a playlist though

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
We need Griffball. I'm surprised it's not on the list. With the severe lack of social playlist we just need a game type like this to just casually play. And maybe they can add energy sword a gravity hammer skins so you and your team can have matching weapons
Grifball was originally built off of Assault. Hence Assault is on the list and Grifball is not. Thanks for the input, and welcome to HaloCustoms!

Reactions: -Orzium-

NOKYARD

Adept
Jan 6, 2013
Grifball was originally built off of Assault. Hence Assault is on the list and Grifball is not. Thanks for the input, and welcome to HaloCustoms!
Close, Halo 3 and Reach Grifball were based on Assault. Modern Grifball (Halo 4 & MCC Halo 4) is based on Ricochet, even though there is a dev Grifball variant on the disc.

I voted for Ricochet because there are many mini-games based on scoring by throwing, striking, or running the ball in, like Hockey, Turkey Bowl, and Field Grifball. Although, i assume, many of these may be replicated with the new scripting system.

Last edited:

Sn1p3r C

Qualified
Nov 30, 2015
If you lurk on Reddit or Forgehub, you might have already seen this, but in case you haven't, the Creative Force guys came up with a pretty good approximation of 3 Plots. And you don't need Forge! We're going to add it to the "creative f0rce" file share when it goes live, but who wants to wait for that?

3 Plots Settings
Edit the "Settings > Strongholds" in the Strongholds gametype to these values:

*Score to Win: 300 points
*Score Earned Per Interval: 1 point
*Scoring Frequency: 1 second
*Scoring Threshold: 1 Base
*Time to Capture: 10 Seconds
*Capture Rate With Multiple Players: Increasing
*Prevent Spawning in Strongholds: On

That's it! Now, teams will earn 1 point per second for each territory they own. Multiple teammates will capture a territory faster, and teams only need to own 1 territory to score. When we tested, 300 points was about right for the 12 minute time limit on the round, and we left capture time the same as regular Strongholds since players are used to it. Since it's just a scoring variation, it should work natively on any maps that support Strongholds.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
If you lurk on Reddit or Forgehub, you might have already seen this, but in case you haven't, the Creative Force guys came up with a pretty good approximation of 3 Plots. And you don't need Forge! We're going to add it to the "creative f0rce" file share when it goes live, but who wants to wait for that?

3 Plots Settings
Edit the "Settings > Strongholds" in the Strongholds gametype to these values:

*Score to Win: 300 points
*Score Earned Per Interval: 1 point
*Scoring Frequency: 1 second
*Scoring Threshold: 1 Base
*Time to Capture: 10 Seconds
*Capture Rate With Multiple Players: Increasing
*Prevent Spawning in Strongholds: On

That's it! Now, teams will earn 1 point per second for each territory they own. Multiple teammates will capture a territory faster, and teams only need to own 1 territory to score. When we tested, 300 points was about right for the 12 minute time limit on the round, and we left capture time the same as regular Strongholds since players are used to it. Since it's just a scoring variation, it should work natively on any maps that support Strongholds.
This has actually been known since before the game even launched, and this is why the poll includes an option for asymmetrical Territories specifically as symmetrical Territories can be created through Strongholds.

Sn1p3r C

Qualified
Nov 30, 2015
This has actually been known since before the game even launched, and this is why the poll includes an option for asymmetrical Territories specifically as symmetrical Territories can be created through Strongholds.

Ah, makes sense. Now I'm pondering ways to lock territories... I wonder if spawning/despawning them along with instant scoring would be a way to grant one-time points? UI becomes a little messy though...

Nov 12, 2015
I really want dominion in halo 5 because it lets me feel like im doing a bit of tower defence in such a good game.
If it isn't added I at least want some sort of button that activates different things,( doors,turrets,cover). Dominion would be a great addition to halo 5.

AwesomeBolzer

Novice
Jan 11, 2013
Im gonna try to make an air warefare map, though other people probably already have a good one or will make a better one.

Mr Rogers4

Master
Jan 21, 2013
Utah
Can I say that I want all of the listed gametypes here back plus all the other gametypes that were in previous Halo's like juggernaut, headhunter, stockpile, infection, etc? I might not have a say in this yet since I do not yet have halo 5, but I would like the originals back when I do get halo 5.
I would also be interested in seeing Firefight again. I would love to go back to firefight.

Last edited:

KeeLoker

Proficient
Jun 27, 2016
Now that Halo 5 has been through all of the monthly updates and they will start being scarce now, I'd like to see (as everyone else) all the past game modes that have been in previous Halo's like King of the Hill, Race, etc. But I'd also like to see some unpopular game modes return too. I for one really did enjoy Dominion and I feel if they revamped it to make it suitable for Halo 5 it'd be fun. Another game mode that I'd like to see make a return is that Insane game type responsible for some amazing maps in Reach like Avalanche and Armor Walkers. That would open up a lot more possibilities for forgers. And something I doubt that would be added but would be really cool is a supported linear infection game mode. Where you can set a number of holdouts they'll have to pass through, the time they'll need to wait until they can continue forward, and etc. That was a bad description but I can see it working out.