Halo Was Valhalla a bad map to put in halo 4

Should Ragnarok have been put in Halo 4

• Total voters

aligator ac

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
United Kingdom
I've been arguing with my friends about this for a long time. I really dislike Valhalla because its honestly an annoying map. All of my friends (who are biased towards Halo 3) think that Valhalla was the best addition to halo 4. To me, halo 4 had the best big team maps yet and i do not even think we should have had a remake. Honestly, I'd rather have a remake like coalgulation or hell, even that weird underground map in halo 2 with the gauss hog... i think it was called waterworks or something...

Just to settle this with my friend, do you guys think that valhalla or Ragnarok should have or should not have been put in halo 4.

I don't want another remake of that map ever. It's been remade like twice(2 and Reach), just like Lockout. (3 and 4). It's annoying. To be honest, I liked Vahalla, in Halo 3, I actually had all lot of fun and liked seeing noobs fail. Ragnarok is awesome, reminds me of Halo 3 again, with my same tatics.

Majorityduduspl

Qualified
Jan 27, 2013
I know that it gets overplayed but if people are enjoying it enough to keep voting it in then why take that away from them. I know it gets annoying, I too want some more variety other than Valhalla and Exile over and over again, but once again, if people enjoy it then we shouldn't take these maps away.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I know that it gets overplayed but if people are enjoying it enough to keep voting it in then why take that away from them. I know it gets annoying, I too want some more variety other than Valhalla and Exile over and over again, but once again, if people enjoy it then we shouldn't take these maps away.
The reason people often vote for Ragnarok, however, is because when one team controls the center hill they are able to absolutely pin down and destroy the other. Especially with lower skilled players, once you are pinned it is neigh impossible to take the central hill because of the longer range, more accurate weapons that can be spawned with and quicker kill times. If the map had been altered to provide more cover, this may have been less of an issue, but compared to other Halo 4 BTB maps it is extremely open and allows 1 team to control the map.

mazdak26

Proficient
I don't think they need to make a bunch of remakes, but I do think they need to take a serious long look at the maps from Halo 2 and 3 and learn how to properly build an original map.
hey know how to build BTB maps. It's small maps they need to focus on. Hell, even haven isn't really that great of a map

The reason people often vote for Ragnarok, however, is because when one team controls the center hill they are able to absolutely pin down and destroy the other. Especially with lower skilled players, once you are pinned it is neigh impossible to take the central hill because of the longer range, more accurate weapons that can be spawned with and quicker kill times. If the map had been altered to provide more cover, this may have been less of an issue, but compared to other Halo 4 BTB maps it is extremely open and allows 1 team to control the map.
I think it's just that it's the only map that any of the casuals understand there is a mantis on. Same thing with the tank and to a lesser extent, the wraith on hemmorhage.

Asunder

Qualified
Feb 1, 2013
San Diego, CA
hey know how to build BTB maps. It's small maps they need to focus on. Hell, even haven isn't really that great of a map

I think it's just that it's the only map that any of the casuals understand there is a mantis on. Same thing with the tank and to a lesser extent, the wraith on hemmorhage.
Think much of it has to do with Ragnarok is a map they already know and trust is a good map. It easily beats most of the map in Halo 4.

Reactions: Ariel Morgan

Indie Anthias

Master
Jan 14, 2013

I think you may be on to something, that might just be the distinction I'm seeing. I remember the 2nd DLC in Reach was the first thing put out by 343 and it was far better than most of the previous Bungie-made Reach maps. I noticed that the artistic style had changed, so that they looked more like H3 maps than Reach maps. Someone pointed out to me that the reason for this is that many of the staff had moved to 343. But what I now remember about that DLC was the amazing Highlands, a BTB map. And come to think of it even in H3 the most impressive maps... the ones I think the current Halo makers should take note of... were the smaller ones. And yeah I do think the current BTB maps are mostly fine, one of the reasons BTB is the only thing in H4 I'll play.

So what you said makes strangely makes sense, in a very post-hoc sort of way.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
"But what I now remember about that DLC was the amazing Highlands, a BTB map. "

No.

No.

No.

No.

Just... No.

That sentence hurt so much to read. I accept that you personally like it, because I can't tell you what not to like, but that was one of the single worst balanced maps in the game.

Highlands was basically a giant cereal bowl with power weapons around the rims. Players could only really survive around the edges, while vehicles were forced to play mostly to the middle. Unfortunately, the Spartan Laser, Plasma Launcher, 2 Rockets, and 2 Snipers on high ground locations and the lack of cover in the middle makes any vehicle use ineffective and short-lived. The placement of shotguns near the teleports in CQC buildings caused them to become fairly campy as well. In the end the map was very exploitable, which some people enjoyed, but in the end it was horrible for vehicles and gameplay was forced through 2 mostly linear sections between the bases.

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
I don't want another remake of that map ever. It's been remade like twice(2 and Reach), just like Lockout. (3 and 4). It's annoying. To be honest, I liked Vahalla, in Halo 3, I actually had all lot of fun and liked seeing noobs fail. Ragnarok is awesome, reminds me of Halo 3 again, with my same tatics.
Yes! we need Blood Gulch!

I don't count Reach as a remake as it looked like crap.

"But what I now remember about that DLC was the amazing Highlands, a BTB map. "

No.

No.

No.

No.

Just... No.

That sentence hurt so much to read. I accept that you personally like it, because I can't tell you what not to like, but that was one of the single worst balanced maps in the game.

Highlands was basically a giant cereal bowl with power weapons around the rims. Players could only really survive around the edges, while vehicles were forced to play mostly to the middle. Unfortunately, the Spartan Laser, Plasma Launcher, 2 Rockets, and 2 Snipers on high ground locations and the lack of cover in the middle makes any vehicle use ineffective and short-lived. The placement of shotguns near the teleports in CQC buildings caused them to become fairly campy as well. In the end the map was very exploitable, which some people enjoyed, but in the end it was horrible for vehicles and gameplay was forced through 2 mostly linear sections between the bases.
I'd only played Highlands like three times as Bungie F-ed up the DLCs in matchmaking, but when I played on Highlands it was awesome!

Reactions: Indie Anthias

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Well from an economic standpoint it was an easy choice for them. They already had the map's geometry from Halo 3 so why not just port it in? The problem is that certain standard gametypes that come with Halo 4 don't work as well with the map as Halo 3 did. Titmar brought up recently that it was a lot more fun you set everything up like it was in Halo 3 and then have battle rifle/AR starts with no personal ordnance. I feel like if you play it like that, it brings out the features that made it so good in Halo 3.
I totally agree. Valhalla just does not play as well when you have all the things from Halo 4. There is a lot more slow paced gameplay and camping with things like Active Camo and the DMR. (Please do not use that combo against me in the near future!)

a bored teen

Adept
Jan 20, 2013
Requiem
I totally agree. Valhalla just does not play as well when you have all the things from Halo 4. There is a lot more slow paced gameplay and camping with things like Active Camo and the DMR. (Please do not use that combo against me in the near future!)
My load out dmr and br, ac ,mobility, and the thing that give you a sight when zoomed

CoreKeyblade

Proficient
Jan 18, 2013
Britain, England
There's nothing wrong with the map itself, in halo 3 it was one one of the funnist ablit balenced maps there was, this trait continues to Halo 4, The only reason I feel this map perhaps should have not been included is that the DMR breaks this map, any sense of enjoyment and balence go out the window, It's heaven for a skilled user, and if you can't, (or in my case, won't use the DMR put of misguided morals) your at a severe disadvantage to everyone else. In other news this thread should be moved to halo 4 map discussion "hint" "hint"

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Personally I loved Vahalla from Halo 3.Now without being biased , my first match in H4 was in Vahalla and I really did enjoy it as shits and giggles were had.

But it has a few faults as H3 allowed you to played CTF ( I know H4 allows this but it doesn't feel the same ) and neutral bomb , these 2 gametypes made that map for mr and the memories are great.

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
Valhalla was one of my favorite maps in Halo 3, and although I really enjoy most of my games on Ragnarok, there are definitely a few issues that should be addressed. Unfortunately, that's the problem with remakes when the game basis isn't the exact same. The presence of armor abilities and certain custom classes + ordnance drops, along with the fact that holding the center using any number of these combinations, will make the game unbalanced. The way I see it it's still a fun map, but if they'd just tweaked a few other things it may have been more balanced.

mazdak26

Proficient
Personally I loved Vahalla from Halo 3.Now without being biased , my first match in H4 was in Vahalla and I really did enjoy it as shits and giggles were had.

But it has a few faults as H3 allowed you to played CTF ( I know H4 allows this but it doesn't feel the same ) and neutral bomb , these 2 gametypes made that map for mr and the memories are great.
I've actually had some insanely fun mongoose pulls.

Jan 22, 2013
Wouldn't it be cool if they made ported halo 2 maps but gave you a option to leave the map with original halo 2 grapics, but the spartans are still halo 4 style

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Wouldn't it be cool if they made ported halo 2 maps but gave you a option to leave the map with original halo 2 grapics, but the spartans are still halo 4 style
It'd be interesting for me as I've never played them , but unfortunately I think its impossible to have the graphics in H2 graphics while all the Spartans are in H4 Graphics.