Steven Spielberg to Direct Halo TV Show

It's no joke! It was announced just a few hours ago that Steven Spielberg is working with 343 Industries to create a Halo Television series, in the wake of the success of Forward Unto Dawn.

Halo%20TV.jpg

Check out the full article here.

And if you're not currently following the announcement for the New Xbox, you can check out the full video here. There's loads of juicy info in that video, so stay tuned if you've got the time!

I'm stoked for this. Especially if Forward Unto Dawn is any indicator of how captivating a Halo series could be.

I also always felt like a miniseries was the way to tell a halo saga. Too much going on to cram it into a 2-3 hour movie. Really need 6hours at least to get into the depth of the story.

I'm stoked for this. Especially if Forward Unto Dawn is any indicator of how captivating a Halo series could be.

I also always felt like a miniseries was the way to tell a halo saga. Too much going on to cram it into a 2-3 hour movie. Really need 6hours at least to get into the depth of the story.
You know what, you're right. At first I was annoyed that they worked on bringing a film out for years and all we're getting is a series. But when you think about it, a series is a lot better, especially with THE best director/producer in the whole film industry. I'm hoping for The Walking Dead calibre budgets for super awesome visuals and epic scenes. A step up from Forward Unto Dawn.

Personally I felt really critical with Forward Unto Dawn. It wasn't terrible, but there were more than a few times that I cringed from bad acting, bad props or generally poorly executed story-telling. Hopefully Spielberg will step up on that. And I'm sure confident that he can.

*Combat Evolved Theme*

3 Things needed:
1. Classic Soundtrack
2. Not screwing up original lore
3. Including Halo: Evolutions stories

If they do it this way... I will be a very happy man.

Reactions: Budddyyy
I dont believe you until i see it. cause last time i heard about a movie, it never happened.
Well this is Spielberg's second crack at the Halo franchise, actually. A while back, after Peter Jackson and Columbia Pictures couldn't come to terms on the money to make a proper Halo movie, Spielberg's Dreamworks was heavily rumored to buy the script and head it up themselves. So this doesn't exactly come as a surprise.

As for Spielberg himself...well, he's been pretty hit or miss when it comes to Sci-Fi television. Terra Nova, which he Executive Produced (which is what he's doing here with World of Halo), was just awful, and got canned after it's first season. The writing was terribly predictable, the actors incompetent, and the dialogue was poor. But the world itself that the show created wasn't bad at all. In fact, it had a lot of potential. World-building is EP territory. It's important to distinguish that Spielberg did not write for Terra Nova.

Then there's the other side of the spectrum in Falling Skies. It stumbled a bit during the early parts of its freshman season, but has since really come into it's own. I won't call it great, by any means, but the acting is more than passable, the world-building is great, and the storylines, while they are typical Spielberg family-driven (most of the time), are still enjoyable. It's a success.

His other successful Sci-Fi endeavors on the big screen include the Back to the Future series as well as E.T.

But then, Halo's not only about Sci-Fi... there's war, too. And Spielberg has hit HOMERUNS with war-related television/film. See: Saving private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific. Which are ALL fantastic. AND on another hand, he also gave us timeless classics like Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain.

Add all that to this quote-
After learning of the creative minds behind Microsoft's Halo series, we're now getting a better sense of how much of an investment the company is making in this project and future original programming. In an interview with Variety, Nancy Tellem (Microsoft's president of entertainment and digital media) reveals that the operating budget will resemble that of HBO's Game of Thrones and other ambitious, high-caliber shows.

And I'd say it's MORE than alright to be hopeful and excited.

Personally I felt really critical with Forward Unto Dawn. It wasn't terrible, but there were more than a few times that I cringed from bad acting, bad props or generally poorly executed story-telling. Hopefully Spielberg will step up on that. And I'm sure confident that he can.

I was slightly bothered by the same things, but I took them with a grain of salt. I tried to remember that it was a web series, and as such the production values were pretty damn high.

His other successful Sci-Fi endeavors on the big screen include the Back to the Future series as well as E.T.

He also had this little movie called "Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I'm excited for this. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Band of Brothers. That WW2 series he did with Stephen Ambrose (same guy he worked with for Saving Private Ryan)

*edit: and "Halo, the TV show?" Come on. Get a better name. That's crap and you know it.

It has potential to be something great. But I want to see it before i make my mind up on whether or not it will be something to actually get into. :)