Map Preview Morgan Bay

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
After playing this last night, there's a few things I noticed. First of all, there are some definite framerate drops in some of the outdoor areas due to pure object density. Some of the drops were quite noticeable. Secondly, some of the water within the map could be walked on, but some couldn't? This sort of thing needs to be carefully marked, there was no indication whatsoever where the "safe" water ended and where the unsafe water began. Having the safe water in the first place was rather confusing. Also, in the game we played it was quite clear that just a few areas were seeing 90% of the action, with three different buildings being the only points where survivors could successfully hang out. Now, after only playing one game it's a bit early to judge, but I would love to see more incentive to hold out in other places around the map, and not just in interior spaces either. This would make the map feel much more dynamic and give it a much better replay factor. All in all, the design felt pretty solid, and the aesthetics were great. I look forward to playing this again once it's further along in testing.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
After playing this last night, there's a few things I noticed. First of all, there are some definite framerate drops in some of the outdoor areas due to pure object density. Some of the drops were quite noticeable. Secondly, some of the water within the map could be walked on, but some couldn't? This sort of thing needs to be carefully marked, there was no indication whatsoever where the "safe" water ended and where the unsafe water began. Having the safe water in the first place was rather confusing. Also, in the game we played it was quite clear that just a few areas were seeing 90% of the action, with three different buildings being the only points where survivors could successfully hang out. Now, after only playing one game it's a bit early to judge, but I would love to see more incentive to hold out in other places around the map, and not just in interior spaces either. This would make the map feel much more dynamic and give it a much better replay factor. All in all, the design felt pretty solid, and the aesthetics were great. I look forward to playing this again once it's further along in testing.
^The above things have mostly been fixed. The areas are now more connected to each other which enforces movement amongst the players, so the map feels a lot more dynamic even though not that much has been changed. The framerate drops are the only thing that could not be improved upon because we realized it was mostly due to the fact that the map has been forged right above the water. The 0micron had the same issue with his map Port Robinson, even though he didn't have that many objects in the first place either just like with this map.

Either way, the map is now finished! (If not for a few optional tweaks that might occur later on.) I am about to post the map thread on ForgeHub and I will do the same on HaloCustoms very soon! Thanks to everyone who helped me test this map over the course of last month! I had a great time. :)

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
^The above things have mostly been fixed. The areas are now more connected to each other which enforces movement amongst the players, so the map feels a lot more dynamic even though not that much has been changed. The framerate drops are the only thing that could not be improved upon because we realized it was mostly due to the fact that the map has been forged right above the water. The 0micron had the same issue with his map Port Robinson, even though he didn't have that many objects in the first place either just like with this map.

Either way, the map is now finished! (If not for a few optional tweaks that might occur later on.) I am about to post the map thread on ForgeHub and I will do the same on HaloCustoms very soon! Thanks to everyone who helped me test this map over the course of last month! I had a great time. :)

Framerate can almost always be improved, the cause on this map was object density. A few of the outdoor areas have rather broad views where lots of objects are visible at once. You used a lot of wires and other scenery objects, and I mean a lot. That's where the drops are coming from, not the water. I hope you take the time to fix that before releasing the map. Other than that, though, I'm looking forward to playing this again in the future.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Framerate can almost always be improved, the cause on this map was object density. A few of the outdoor areas have rather broad views where lots of objects are visible at once. You used a lot of wires and other scenery objects, and I mean a lot. That's where the drops are coming from, not the water. I hope you take the time to fix that before releasing the map. Other than that, though, I'm looking forward to playing this again in the future.
Well, I'm just saying I did what I could but there's still that occasional framerate. ;)
Don't worry, the map is still playable. And I've already removed quite some objects that could be left out. Maybe, if it's still unbearably bad to some people I might remove more stuff in the future, but for now I consider the map done.

The link to the map thread can be found here!
http://www.halocustoms.com/maps/morgan-bay.672/

The 0micron

Selppin
Jan 27, 2013

After multiple tests on my map and Remkings' map, Demonik89, El Trocity, and I have come to the conclusion that the reason for "most" of the frame rate drops, is due to the audio file that the water gives off, and the "wonky" lighting on Forge Island when you are far away from the islands. That's just the conclusion we got, not saying you're incorrect.

Feb 25, 2013
My absolute favourite Flood map in Halo 4. Everything about it is unique, from the atmosphere and aesthetics to the layout and dynamics and it creates a fun experience you can't get anywhere else.