Map Preview Morgan Bay

Demonik89

Master
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah I'm starting to feel like that too. There's a random drop over there I think, giving players enough reason to Risk the Reward but then get the heck outta there again.
The map is starting to look more and more like I want it to be. :)
Yea that's probably all you'll be able to do tbh but that's fine at least it can or will get players over there to see it atleast i know some take it after they snag sniper to go to the dock house so it sees foot movement almost every map I've played on has at least had one of those sections.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
The map looks great. I really enjoyed walking around on it with you the other day. It has a strangely unique aesthetic quality and I'd love to get in a game sometime.
I will add you on XLive sometime. I'm testing it almost every day at the moment (I'm in a hurry) so I could probably get you in at some point. :)

Reactions: xAudienceofone

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Elliot and Master Debaytes, how did the tests go last night? Would you recommend any changes or have me take a closer look at something specific? What are you thoughts on the map in general?

Master Debaytes

⚆▽⚆
Dec 31, 2012
UF
So, it is not an easy map for newcomers. However, the popular spot, surprisingly, was the sniper platform, with one guy watching the ramp up with the shotgun and 2 to 3 other guys shooting down at zombies from the main lookout. The mansion was also camped quite often but humans were having a hard time surviving in there due to the semi-confined space.

There was also a round (the final round) where I convinced every single human to get together and camp in the basement with the two crates blocking the entryways, and the humans actually managed to survive (barely).

I would say the map has hit that point of good balance. Give me time to test it out with another group though, I want to make sure of my results because I was only able to play it once.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
So, it is not an easy map for newcomers. However, the popular spot, surprisingly, was the sniper platform, with one guy watching the ramp up with the shotgun and 2 to 3 other guys shooting down at zombies from the main lookout. The mansion was also camped quite often but humans were having a hard time surviving in there due to the semi-confined space.

There was also a round (the final round) where I convinced every single human to get together and camp in the basement with the two crates blocking the entryways, and the humans actually managed to survive (barely).

I would say the map has hit that point of good balance. Give me time to test it out with another group though, I want to make sure of my results because I was only able to play it once.

How often did players tend to go for the warehouse? It used to be the hot spot in the first couple of tests and I've only been buffing it ever since. However, it sounds like people wouldn't actually go there in your test.

Oh well. It's only an awesome thing that different strongholds are used every game. I reckon that you're right: the max balance possible on this map without having to change too much seems to have been reached. I'll give it a couple of more tests tomorrow and onwards, and then on Sunday I'll probably submit it to the contest. :)

Another test would be greatly appreciated though!

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
So, it is not an easy map for newcomers.
Do you think I could improve upon that in any way? Only a small change could be enough to give humans an easier time figuring out what they want to do when they're playing the map for the first time. (Although I kind of like that it's a difficult map: it makes the experience more frightening.)

Master Debaytes

⚆▽⚆
Dec 31, 2012
UF
Do you think I could improve upon that in any way? Only a small change could be enough to give humans an easier time figuring out what they want to do when they're playing the map for the first time. (Although I kind of like that it's a difficult map: it makes the experience more frightening.)

I still think the Mansion is difficult to camp, more so than it should be. I have a way I might be able to fix it, but I need to look at the map in forge again to be sure. The main issue there is that upon entering the doorway, the zombies can lunge at humans almost immediately. It gives the humans no time to react to the zombies coming in and even if a human gets a kill, they'll likely be hit once by that crazy lunge.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I still think the Mansion is difficult to camp, more so than it should be. I have a way I might be able to fix it, but I need to look at the map in forge again to be sure. The main issue there is that upon entering the doorway, the zombies can lunge at humans almost immediately. It gives the humans no time to react to the zombies coming in and even if a human gets a kill, they'll likely be hit once by that crazy lunge.
I definitely agree, and I feel the same thing goes even more so for the Warehouse (the building next to where the docks used to be). I mean, the grid right above the staircase does enable humans to lower a zombie's shields while he's running up, so other humans in the room can finish him off once he reaches them. However, in gametypes that focus on smaller party sizes with shorter rounds such as Hivemind, the chance that you'll be utilizing this degree of teamwork is not very likely. Besides, why even bother doing something like that when all other areas offer you more freedom, where you're less dependent on what your allies are doing?
I'm looking forward to that solution. It's been happening to me a lot too that I got hit at least once in the Warehouse so if you could take a look at that building too that would be awesome. Fixing these two buildings but keeping them surmountable for zombies too will be key to making the map fun no matter with whom you're playing.

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
However, the popular spot, surprisingly, was the sniper platform, with one guy watching the ramp up with the shotgun and 2 to 3 other guys shooting down at zombies from the main lookout. The mansion was also camped quite often but humans were having a hard time surviving in there due to the semi-confined space.

Wow, that is surprising. Whenever I have played the map the spot gets mostly overlooked. I have ventured up there a couple of times and it indeed is a very good spot. I think the reason it isn't normally used is because it isn't as defined as the other spots. The buildings are a lot more identifiable as holdout locations.

Master Debaytes

⚆▽⚆
Dec 31, 2012
UF
Wolf and I just played another game on this with 9 players. Sniper platform ftw. It's the best spot and you only need 3 people to make it work well.

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
Wolf and I just played another game on this with 9 players. Sniper platform ftw. It's the best spot and you only need 3 people to make it work well.

Hmm, seems like a secret holdout of sorts, since it is not a building. It could be fine as it is because of this, but if a lot of people realise how good it is it can be exploited. Might be something to change.

Master Debaytes

⚆▽⚆
Dec 31, 2012
UF
Hmm, seems like a secret holdout of sorts, since it is not a building. It could be fine as it is because of this, but if a lot of people realise how good it is it can be exploited. Might be something to change.

The issue is, the spot isn't good if there are too many people there. It gets too cluttered and unorganized, and humans start dying quickly.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Wait, which building is the warehouse again?
The one on the other side of the canal than where the humans spawn. The zombies spawn right after. I call it the warehouse because of all the sandbags and the crane on the side, and obviously because it's right next to the sea so load could be transported right onto any ships that are at the docks.

The mansion is the one with the big windows and the big doorstep in front, with the curvy balustrades.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
The issue is, the spot isn't good if there are too many people there. It gets too cluttered and unorganized, and humans start dying quickly.

I'm thinking about either hosting a little ship right next to the spot so zombies can jump on top of the platform using the mast/sails, or putting a crate in the dark valley ahead of the sniper platform so zombies can jump on it and lunge at any humans not paying attention. If you have any other ideas guys, go ahead and tell me.

Same applies for the warehouse/mansion/whatever building(s) we're talking about. I'm always open to suggestions.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Looking good as usual, Rem. The aesthetic looks nice, and I'd love to look around/play it to see what the design is really like. It looks like there'll be some interesting encounters down along the water. I've been so detached from the Flood scene, this is making me wish I wasn't.

Reactions: REMkings

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Looking good as usual, Rem. The aesthetic looks nice, and I'd love to look around/play it to see what the design is really like. It looks like there'll be some interesting encounters down along the water. I've been so detached from the Flood scene, this is making me wish I wasn't.
Well, that's what's this baby's for, right? :)
Sounds good, we should try and get a game going together sometime. I myself have not yet had the privilege of playing Conversion so we could probably think of something to play both.