Featured Lobby Monday Map Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Power Strip - The 2 side, bridge connected layout was interesting, reminded me of sword base loosely. I would focus on having less man cannon connections, as it puts players at a disadvantage to moving across. It would also be interesting to see burgess ramping up, allowing the opposite side access to the roof of the other building. Please remove the CE magnums, they are so strong and easy to dominate with.

Grave - The map was kind of a box. Movement across could get rather boring, as the entire map was essentially 3 bridges and an open plain below. The Saw was far too powerful and easy to use. I know you want to try to balance it, but with how strong it is I don't think this map is going to work for it, it's just too open and the lines of sight are too optimal. The camo pit was interesting, providing a tough place to grab the power from.

At Last! - This map was interesting, but also kind of a mess. Thematically there were too many things going on, between the natural geometry, space asteroid areas, urban environments, and fun-house colorful geometry. I would focus in one one area and use that themes throughout. The geometry was also sporadic and often uninteresting to play on. Most of the bottom floor was one large flat plane with walls breaking it up, leading to fights that lacked a vertical element. I would condense the whole map inward and work on better movement between the levels.

Precursor - This version played better, the roof no longer felt like the best area. We got kind of stomped the game I played, but overall I didn't see any issues with the current geometry. I'd like to play a longer, more balanced game though.

Avenue - I enjoyed this breakout map a lot. The dual railgun rush was interesting, and the areas were really good for baiting other players. I did feel that the middle area was a little simple, mostly just a flat floor with geometry breaking it up. More height variation and sub-levels would be appreciated.

Permafrost - The map felt like an extremely oversized Lockout. It felt disjointed due to this, and a lot of the space felt unnecessary. I would start by shrinking the map down and removing unnecessary space.

Reconciliation - I liked the color changes, but it's still hard to tell where you are on the map. There need to be some major differences on either side. Color, geometry, lighting, and out-of-map views are all ways that can accomplish this.

Crimson Plaza - This was an interesting narrows style map. I loved the style and theme you went for and I think it is spot on. I felt that the central moving pillar was unnecessary, and that having the top path sometimes be blocked added nothing to the game. The right and left sides also didn't see a ton of gameplay, and I think they would benefit from being brought in towards center a bit to keep the spaces interacting. The very bottom floor with the sword and tells also felt entirely unnecessary. The teleports didn't take me anywhere that I couldn't have just as easily run to, and the area rarely saw engagements. The snipers should also not spawn at the bases, as they are super easy to camp.

Zen - The map played fairly well, but it was a somewhat generic design. I'd explore what it is that you really want to accomplish with the map, and perhaps experiment with some different weapons and geometry to find something more unique.

Stigma - Change name to "Squigma." Apply Y button.

Compound 11 - I would try to connect the rooms a little better and men them a little smaller. Right now each room is its own play space, and they do not interact very much. I'd like to see other ways of moving between them besides just the same type of door, perhaps a teleport system or a larger break in a wall that offers a different angle in. This will also help with player orientation.

Raptor086

Novice
Nov 21, 2014
I had a good time in the lobby on Monday night. I am glad we got to move through each map twice. I appreciate the constructive feedback, Flying Shoe. Several of your and a few others feedback this past week or so has really inspired me to think outside of what I knew about map design. I think I will be able to make some big changes that will improve on 'At Last!', but one thing is for certain, and that is that I have a newfound motivation to improve on my general design skills. I think my future creations will show it! Thanks again!

Reactions: Skyward Shoe

Pat Sounds

Novice
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the feedback last Monday. I got a lot of great advice, and I've implemented many of the changes suggested for my map and they've all been on point. Getting a bit of advice on how to create a meta game and control the flow of the map was great too. Often times the feedback I get is not as constructive, and I run around in circles not really improving the map. As a novice forger, I'm grateful to learn WHY I need to make changes, not just what I need to change.

There were a lot of solid maps in the lobby, and I'll be interested to see how they develop over time. Most of the maps we played seemed to go by pretty fast and I was still learning the layouts by the end of the lobby, but I've collected my general impressions below:

On the first play through, I heard a good amount of players on my team say this map seemed a bit on the large side for 4v4. On the second time through, after getting better aquainted with the layout, I felt that it was appropriately scaled. The map has a solid aesthetic theme and all the structures look and feel realistic when traversing them. The name is also very appropriate given the cave setting.

A few players on my team were complaining that the bottom mid level was too much of a death pit. I haven’t played enough to give an educated opinion on this, but I did find myself dying a lot down there. I thought the ladders were a cool touch, although it took me a minute to figure out what they were and I had a few awkward clambers getting up them. Maybe take another look at these? Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of really small objects available, so I’m not sure what you can do to them. Maybe simply nudging them a little bit here or there will make clambering more fluid.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. The ladder thing is really minor...I hope to have more detailed feedback once I get more games on it.

This one didn’t go so smoothly, but I think certain areas of the map have potential. In the current build, the color choices felt a little bit insane and the layout was still a bit unformed. Overall, the map feels really large and the lack of a uniform aesthetic makes it difficult to orient yourself, in addition to being visually jarring. I think there’s a bit of work to be done on this one, and the forger himself mentioned this is a work in progress.

Here are a couple ideas I have for reworking this one:

- Figure out which room has your favorite color scheme and aesthetic theme, and then apply that to the whole map. Right there are several themes, I think just one should be picked.

- Think about building the map around the sniper room. That seemed to be the best position to hold and offered the funnest gameplay. Right now the map is way too large, but I think you could make something cool if you made this area the focus of the map.

- Keep the zamboni man. I like the zamboni man.

Precursor -
Looked great, and played well. The game we played was pretty quick so unfortunately I don’t have much to say about this one…But there were no obvious issues in the game I got on it.

Stigma -
This map feels very polished, and I don’t have much criticism here either. Of the two we played by Squally, this one was my favorite. I heard that there was talk of changing the name to “Echelon”…Personally I think Stigma is a solid name for it and I would keep it as is. Great map overall!

I’ve played this one before and it remains one of my all time favorites. I know some people get down on Breakout, but putting that aside this map is one of the best Breakout maps I’ve seen. In another lobby, someone said it was better than some of the maps in matchmaking. I totally agree…stellar job. The railguns in this map are really original and picking up one makes you feel tense immediately.

The map was a big on the large size, and as a result I spent a lot of the match running around searching for enemies. I’d need more time with it to offer precise feedback, but my first impression was that that his one could be scaled down a bit.

Reconciliation -
I had a hard time orienting myself on this one, I think mostly because the different sections of the map all looked the same. I think the aesthetic you have going on here is cool, but some variations section to section would make it easier to navigate. It also felt like the map was very flat.

Compound 11 -
I liked the look of this one, even with the neon placeholder colors. The doorways looked cool, although it was hard to distinguish the areas because they are all the same. If you wanna flesh this one out, I’d start with making the differences in rooms more obvious. The map also felt a bit cramped and played very fast, so perhaps it could be expanded a little bit. Cool foundation though.

This one was a last minute addition and a nice surprise. It had a really cool aesthetic, and I thought it looked great. There seemed to be a good number of superfluous areas that didn’t see a whole lot of action, so maybe narrow down (pun intended) the layout and make it a bit smaller. I agree with Shoe that the pillar in the center didn’t really add much to the gameplay. That being said, I was impressed by this map so far.

I’m sorry, but I just don’t really have much to say about this one…I’ll give it another look and get some feedback on it when I can. I can't recall any glaring issues with this one, however.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Monday 4/18/16 - 11pm EST
Lobby type: 4v4 (eight players)
Lobby post: TBA
Primary testing slots:
INFINUT - Grave - Strongholds, Assault
STUNT ARTIST - Waist High - Slayer, Strongholds
Pat Sounds - Power Strip - Oddball
Pat Sounds - Cadet - CTF
MartianMallCop - Warpath​
Backup testing slots:
DarklingNinja - Permafrost - Slayer, Strongholds
alex quit - Longbridge - CTF
Please continue signing up below. To request a testing slot, post in response to this thread with your map name and the gametype(s) you wish to test. Whether you're bringing a map or not, message Flying Shoe ILR on Xbox Live to request an invite before the lobby.

Last edited:

DarklingNinja

Novice
Apr 21, 2013
I am not one who ignores feedback, I am just wondering if you guys played the right map. Permafrost is actually smaller than lockout........ So when you say oversized lockout I am really confused. I also have a hard time believing there was trouble finding people due to its small size. Wish I was there. Just from the feedback it sounds like the wrong map was played. I will have to talk to you guys in person.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I am not one who ignores feedback, I am just wondering if you guys played the right map. Permafrost is actually smaller than lockout........ So when you say oversized lockout I am really confused. I also have a hard time believing there was trouble finding people due to its small size. Wish I was there. Just from the feedback it sounds like the wrong map was played. I will have to talk to you guys in person.
I wasn't there last Monday, so I can't comment. I'm sure we can break it down and get a better understanding of how the map plays tonight. If you can't actually make it to the lobby, everything will be streamed from our lobby this evening so you should be able to get some good feedback either way. Let me know if you'll be there, or if you'd still like your map on he list if not.

Reactions: DarklingNinja

Pat Sounds

Novice
Jan 29, 2016
File: Power Strip
GT: Pat Sounds
Gametype: Oddball, CTF (4v4)

Based on feedback from last week I've removed most of the rooftops and taken the CE magnums out. Hopefully this version plays better.

File: wip Cadet
Gametype: CTF (4v4)

I'd just like to run through this one time since I just finished putting this one together and haven't played on it at all yet. It's more or less a blockout, so I'd be interested in getting opinions on what direction to take it.

DarklingNinja

Novice
Apr 21, 2013
I wasn't there last Monday, so I can't comment. I'm sure we can break it down and get a better understanding of how the map plays tonight. If you can't actually make it to the lobby, everything will be streamed from our lobby this evening so you should be able to get some good feedback either way. Let me know if you'll be there, or if you'd still like your map on he list if not.

Sadly I have class tonight, so I will not be able to make it. Permafrost v1 is in my files though, I will watch the stream when I get home somewhere between 930pm-10pm EST. Here is the information on the map so hopefully the right one is gotten.

GT: Darkling Ninjas
Map Name: Permafrost v1
Player count: 4 vs 4
Gametype: Slayer (if you have time Strongholds)

Thank you very much for your time and feedback

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Sadly I have class tonight, so I will not be able to make it. Permafrost v1 is in my files though, I will watch the stream when I get home somewhere between 930pm-10pm EST. Here is the information on the map so hopefully the right one is gotten.

GT: Darkling Ninjas
Map Name: Permafrost v1
Player count: 4 vs 4
Gametype: Slayer (if you have time Strongholds)

Thank you very much for your time and feedback
The lobby doesn't start until 11pm EST, so it sounds like you could make it. Either way, you can at least view our games and hear our feedback. I'm sure we can get through both modes on it.

alex quit

Got Gud
Nov 19, 2014
hello hello my fellows.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it tonight or not (hooray for finals!) but if you guys want another map to test -
I changed Longbridge a little bit.

Longbridge v9 (i think, it's whatever the latest version is)
CTF

Reactions: Psychoduck

INFINUT

Qualified
Feb 19, 2016
File: Power Strip
Gametype: Oddball, CTF (4v4)

Based on feedback from last week I've removed most of the rooftops and taken the CE magnums out. Hopefully this version plays better.

File: wip Cadet
Gametype: CTF (4v4)

I'd just like to run through this one time since I just finished putting this one together and haven't played on it at all yet. It's more or less a blockout, so I'd be interested in getting opinions on what direction to take it.
Coming pat?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Monday 4/25/16 - 11pm EST
Primary testing slots:
INFINUT - Grave - Strongholds, Assault
Raptor086 - Zen - Slayer, Strongholds
AnonFriction - Anacreon - CTF, Assault​
Backup testing slots:
SecretSchnitzel - Twice Forsaken - Slayer, Strongholds
N3gat1veZer0 - Resolute - Slayer, Strongholds
Please continue signing up below. To request a testing slot, post in response to this thread with your map name and the gametype(s) you wish to test. Whether you're bringing a map or not, message The Psycho Duck on Xbox Live to request an invite before the lobby.

Last edited:

INFINUT

Qualified
Feb 19, 2016
Dear Duck,

Implemented a lot of the feedback from last Monday night!

Map: GRAVE TEST
Game Type: Strongholds/Assualt
GT: INFINUT

Sincerely, NUT

Dec 30, 2012
Monday 4/25/16 - 11pm EST
Primary testing slots:
Backup testing slots:

Please continue signing up below. To request a testing slot, post in response to this thread with your map name and the gametype(s) you wish to test. Whether you're bringing a map or not, message The Psycho Duck on Xbox Live to request an invite before the lobby.

I'd like to join. Thanks.

Raptor086

Novice
Nov 21, 2014
I'd really like to participate this week. Map file is called 'Zen (alpha)' It is a 4v4, setup for Slayer and Strongholds currently.

Thanks!
-Raptor086

Status
Not open for further replies.