Making Halo 5 Forge What We Want

Do You Think The Changes In The Video Are Good?

• Total voters

The 0micron

Selppin
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks to Mr. Pokephile, we have this all-in-one video to help clarify what exactly the halo community has wanted for a long time now. A real forge. A complex forge,a long-lasting forge, I'm keeping it short and sweet. Please just watch the video and spread the news. With enough momentum and perseverance, we could get 343i to listen to us. :)

PS:: I am connecting a poll to see how many people like all of the changes Mr. Pokephile listed. And if you don't, feel free to express your opinions.

- 0mi out.

undr zid

Proficient
Feb 6, 2013
murika
www.forgecafe.com
It really depends entirely on what Xbox One is capable of. I did not find one thing in this video that I disagree with, and a lot of the ideas are not even new ones. Most of what was pointed out I have heard talked about for years going back to Reach. Thanks for the video, never too soon to start poking 343 with a stick.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
I posted this in the comments of the video on YT, but I really want mechanisms in Halo 5's Forge. Like, you press a button or step on a switch, and it opens/closes a door, lowers a bridge, sets off a trap, etc.
Just think about it. It would allow you to add some variation to how a certain map is played by changing the layout of the map in game, as well as introducing some spectacular Risk vs Reward opportunities, all without the need to waste a sizeable chunk of budget and time on fiddling with explosives, palettes and crates.

Reactions: ShockBolt21

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I posted this in the comments of the video on YT, but I really want mechanisms in Halo 5's Forge. Like, you press a button or step on a switch, and it opens/closes a door, lowers a bridge, sets off a trap, etc.
Just think about it. It would allow you to add some variation to how a certain map is played by changing the layout of the map in game, as well as introducing some spectacular Risk vs Reward opportunities, all without the need to waste a sizeable chunk of budget and time on fiddling with explosives, palettes and crates.

This is something I honestly don't agree on. Forge doesn't need all these wires, and buttons, and other redstone-y stuff. It's always been the ability of a player to work with the pieces available and the canvas. I've seen hundred of incredibly creative mini games come out of Halo 4 and Reach forge. All without mechanisms.

Maybe this is just because I'm a competitive map forger which is why I don't see the need for mechanisms. And competitive maps don't really need mechanisms to be great.

Without a doubt, your suggestion will be very useful for mini game forgers. But it's not impossible to make an awesome mini game without mechanisms. You just need to get creative.

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
It really depends entirely on what Xbox One is capable of...
The xbox one is easily capable of everything he listed and more.

Also, I think that they should allow you to link objects to vehicles. This would allow for limitless vehicle creations, such as jet aircraft or remakes of the Halo 3 elephant or H4 mammoth. This would work better if they also allowed customization for individual vehicles, providing options such as vehicle speed, armor, damage, and possibly turn radius for aircraft and boats.

But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if 343 just left out forge in the next game, making it solely multiplayer-oriented like every other shooter out there.

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
I'm pretty glad that he made this video. Certain aspects like the night/day cycles and the terrain aspects were great idea up until now. Now the actually seem possible to be implemented into Halo 5.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
This is something I honestly don't agree on. Forge doesn't need all these wires, and buttons, and other redstone-y stuff. It's always been the ability of a player to work with the pieces available and the canvas. I've seen hundred of incredibly creative mini games come out of Halo 4 and Reach forge. All without mechanisms.

Maybe this is just because I'm a competitive map forger which is why I don't see the need for mechanisms. And competitive maps don't really need mechanisms to be great.

Without a doubt, your suggestion will be very useful for mini game forgers. But it's not impossible to make an awesome mini game without mechanisms. You just need to get creative.

I see what you mean. I was thinking mostly as a cost reduction measure, as although you are able to create these things anyway, they can be pretty expensive to set up.

Another idea, is the ability to resize and reshape gravity volumes, as well as being able to change the strength of them, to allow for actual zero gravity.

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
I'm up for them getting rid of forge and fixing (focus on) multiplayer back to the Halo 2 / 3 Days. Haven't put halo into my Xbox in at least 6 months

I'm up for them getting rid of forge and fixing (focus on) multiplayer back to the Halo 2 / 3 Days. Haven't put halo into my Xbox in at least 6 months
You're on dangerous ground making suggestions like that when surrounded by forgers mate :D
Agreed. I dont even forge too often. Mainly because I'm brainstorming. I posted this in the comments but id like to see-
More polygonal object shaping or zone shapes (triangles, hexagons, pentagons, etc.) That way when you have a room structured in such a a shape it doesn't become a matter of the zone extending too far.
The 'Advanced and Beginner' forge options are an interesting idea, but they shouldn't stray too far from one another. Advanced should be the combination of beginner and advanced settings or you could add a feature listed as BOTH.

petetheduck

Proficient
May 17, 2013
Thanks to Mr. Pokephile, we have this all-in-one video to help clarify what exactly the halo community has wanted for a long time now. A real forge. A complex forge,a long-lasting forge, I'm keeping it short and sweet. Please just watch the video and spread the news. With enough momentum and perseverance, we could get 343i to listen to us. :)

PS:: I am connecting a poll to see how many people like all of the changes Mr. Pokephile listed. And if you don't, feel free to express your opinions.

- 0mi out.

I agree with some points but also have alternate solutions I'd prefer for others. I'm considering making a similar video or series of videos to touch on those points, but one item I wanted to focus on here:

I believe it was suggested in the video to add Forge canvases post-launch. I disagree: I think it is important to ensure all players have all Forge canvases--even free, Forge Island has not been downloaded by 100% of Halo players. Unless 343 Industries makes them a mandatory download to play on Xbox Live (like a Title Update is), which most likely won't happen due to the file size. So, I think the best possible situation is that 343 Industries ships Halo 5 with the best freaking Forge canvases ever and that be that.

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
I agree with some points but also have alternate solutions I'd prefer for others. I'm considering making a similar video or series of videos to touch on those points, but one item I wanted to focus on here:

I believe it was suggested in the video to add Forge canvases post-launch. I disagree: I think it is important to ensure all players have all Forge canvases--even free, Forge Island has not been downloaded by 100% of Halo players. Unless 343 Industries makes them a mandatory download to play on Xbox Live (like a Title Update is), which most likely won't happen due to the file size. So, I think the best possible situation is that 343 Industries ships Halo 5 with the best freaking Forge canvases ever and that be that.

I understand where you're coming from but its always nice to have new maps implemented. But with that being said I think it'd be nice to have forge areas with ever new dlc, it'd be new and different for the people that buy them and it'd stop things from becoming dull.

Reactions: Stupid

AlexJ189

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Aug 20, 2013
Narnia
I understand where you're coming from but its always nice to have new maps implemented. But with that being said I think it'd be nice to have forge areas with ever new dlc, it'd be new and different for the people that buy them and it'd stop things from becoming dull.

I think a lot more people would have gotten the DLC had it had a forge map included in it. I know I would.

I am a competitive map forger. I can see so many ways a mechanism "wired" via labels would create some interesting competitive play. There are three entrances to each base. Do we rush the flag or take our time to open the main door before pushing for the flag? That's just one example. Another would be to drop a bridge that allows your vehicles into the enemy base. Another one would be turning on a grav lift to launch yourself to the middle of the map knowing that the enemy could easily use that same grav lift to leave with your flag. These are just the obvious benefits and dont even hit on the mini game aspect of halo. In my opinion, competitive play is all about strategy and working with your team mates. Competitive maps should have you communicating and making decisions with your team mates. So if 343 decides that this feature should be added I'm all for it. mechanisms will only add to the possibilities allowing us to be even more creative.

Reactions: AlexJ189

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I am a competitive map forger. I can see so many ways a mechanism "wired" via labels would create some interesting competitive play. There are three entrances to each base. Do we rush the flag or take our time to open the main door before pushing for the flag? That's just one example. Another would be to drop a bridge that allows your vehicles into the enemy base. Another one would be turning on a grav lift to launch yourself to the middle of the map knowing that the enemy could easily use that same grav lift to leave with your flag. These are just the obvious benefits and dont even hit on the mini game aspect of halo. In my opinion, competitive play is all about strategy and working with your team mates. Competitive maps should have you communicating and making decisions with your team mates. So if 343 decides that this feature should be added I'm all for it. mechanisms will only add to the possibilities allowing us to be even more creative.

I'm not saying that mechanisms on competitive maps will be trash, no. I'm saying that competitive maps can be great without them which is why I don't see the need to over-complicate things with wires. Look at the best competitive maps in the Halo franchise. They're great in and of themselves. No need for mechanisms.

That, of course, is coming from a competitive map forger's perspective. Like I said above, mechanisms would indeed help mini game forgers a lot more.

wizton

Master
Sep 17, 2013
England
www.youtube.com
Yea! If 343 open their brains (and start to use them) they would do this... To be honest I am surprised simple things like actual doors that move, just a simple frame with a door.. Aren't mentioned ,You know, like all the ones in campaign that seem physically impossible in anything else? Doors aren't high on my list, but I want Fat Kid back, we need those options, I'm talking so down and dirty as forcing visor colours for better atmospheres, and why not In flood have Alpha, Beta, and Charlie flood, alpha having its special traits after death, throughout the game, beta having the traits after a selected amounts of deaths , and Charlie having no special traits throughout...
Just my idea, :)
Plus give flood weapons...
P.S: bring back game types that are not the core, like assault?
P.S.S: Bring back Halo.