Gold Hosts Q and A

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
I am creating this thread in hopes to help out a few members who are rising in the ranks with hopes of becoming a GOLD HOST. There are many different styles of hosting and a variety of approaches that have proven to work. If you are interested in becoming a GOLD HOST but are having some trouble with getting people to follow you or come to your nights, then this might help. Take a minute and ask, any or all of the ones, who have earned the status of the GOLD HOST rank. I hope most of them are willing to give a few suggestions if you are willing to ask. Simply put your idea in the form of a question and if you are requesting advice from anyone in particular then be sure to address them. The reason this will be useful is the fact that many are wanting but a few are too shy or embarrassed to ask. Hopefully, there will be many more who are willing to ask and someone else was wondering the same question. Just CLICK on the host name. to go read their profile and/or follow them.

Current GOLD HOST:
1. iSpiteful does daily customs
2. A J Yusi does THFE every Sunday night
3. Spades N AZ does new and unreleased content every Friday night
4. CorduroyCHUCK does "late night goodies" late Thurs night
5. Essias every Wed night
6.Sam the Great does THFE every Wed night
7. Oomishday3 usual time mid-Wed
8. Tomtris does daily races
9. Charles Stoot weekend classics
10. Robius5991 Fri-Sat Youtube Map Testing lobbies for OnlineKnights
If I missed you or staff knows the actual order of those who have received Gold then let me know so that I can edit.

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
I started with my friends and relied on them to spread the word. It took some time but after about 3 months it was consistently full. It's marketing 101 strategies that will pay off here. Don't try to do it solo, ask for help. Your true friends will help you out. Then also make room on your friends list for those who make the effort to support you and show up. They will be key to filling future lobby's.

Wakko45

Kill-Steal Guru
Dec 30, 2012
Okay 1 question, how do you start off getting alot of people in to your custom game
Some tips for people that might help out: Like Spades said, friends spreading the word of mouth (like inviting all of their friends) is a great way to start. Making friends in general is a great tip as well. Its not always enough to just host lobbies but you should all try joining others too. If you join a lot of lobbies here then you're bound to run into some similar people and make friends with them. Now that more people will recognize you and know that they enjoy playing with you, they'll be more likely to join a lobby that they see you've posted. And with the theory that at least every other friend can bring a friend, you'll fill lobbies soon in no time. Now that you have more people that enjoy playing customs with you, you'll be more likely to consistently get good host ratings and become good hosts!

So
  • Try your best
  • Join others lobbies
  • Remind people to rate you (just don't be annoying about it)
  • If you host your lobby at the same time every day or week it helps people remember that you'll be hosting then

oomishday3

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013
Kentucky
if there's someone interested in seriously doing routine lobbies i'd take on an "intern" :) i don't post my lobbies very far in advance because i hate when too many people sign up and then they can't all get in but if i had a RELIABLE, EXPERIENCED second person to take the overflow people that would be great.

it's even crazier for the other gold hosts, i've seen people get over 50-60 RSVP's. We should find a cool way to have "overflow lobbies" but im not sure how. Just an idea :D

oomishday3

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2013
Kentucky
i guess an easy way would be:

host A starts the custom game thread
host A invites people who RSVP'd until the game is full
host A promotes host B
host A leaves
host B runs the lobby
host A starts the second lobby and runs it

of course host A can choose who he wants in his lobby so if he's got 50 messages it shouldn't be a problem

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
totally sticky worthy, my first ever rating was negative and that didnt really encourage me to go on, especially because the guy that rated me refused to send me a message and rated me negatively because he couldnt join... that day i decided to support other hosts such as spiteful, provide them with maps and join/rate their lobbies whenever i can. i recently started to dive into random lobbies of people that aren't goldhost yet, but seeing that they only play like 3 mainstream maps and for too long i usually quit. i hope they see this thread, this thread and my thread to become a better host :D

Feb 9, 2013
Canada
if there's someone interested in seriously doing routine lobbies i'd take on an "intern" :) i don't post my lobbies very far in advance because i hate when too many people sign up and then they can't all get in but if i had a RELIABLE, EXPERIENCED second person to take the overflow people that would be great.

it's even crazier for the other gold hosts, i've seen people get over 50-60 RSVP's. We should find a cool way to have "overflow lobbies" but im not sure how. Just an idea :D

I actually had the same idea this morning, i think that anyone who has a ton of messages for invites should re-direct people to other people who are having trouble filling their lobbies. would def help me :)

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
I am not trying to shoot down the idea but I have tried the "intern" thing. I would be willing to try this again if someone needed help but we do it my way. I have not had anyone who is willing to be OCD organized like I need it to be. If you are willing to spend a minimum of 15 hours a week searching under every rock in fileshares and have a good amount of friends who can provide you with fresh content then I would be interested in doing this too. The thing that sets my lobby's apart from most, is the fact, that you never play the same content twice. Every 6 months I do a best of lobby but other than that it's the newest and greatest maps to be released that week.

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
I am not trying to shoot down the idea but I have tried the "intern" thing. I would be willing to try this again if someone needed help but we do it my way. I have not had anyone who is willing to be OCD organized like I need it to be. If you are willing to spend a minimum of 15 hours a week searching under every rock in fileshares and have a good amount of friends who can provide you with fresh content then I would be interested in doing this too. The thing that sets my lobby's apart from most, is the fact, that you never play the same content twice. Every 6 months I do a best of lobby but other than that it's the newest and greatest maps to be released that week.
thats not just impressive, its kinda scary as well :D

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Or you just find a niche to set yourself from the rest. Like Racing. :)