Tips and Tricks to Hosting by Spades N AZ

Did this help?

• Total voters

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Tips and Advice for Hosting
These are just a few things that I feel are important aspects of a successful game hosting night. Feel free to use them with your own personal touch. Half of you will read all of this and half of those will implement these ideas. Don’t come crying to me because you didn’t listen.

1. BE PREPARED and ORGANIZED: This is one of the most crucial elements of being a successful host. Do your research and choose games which will be fun for the size of group that you intend to play with. Not all games are intended for a full lobby of 16 and will play horribly if you try to make it work. Make sure that they play correctly with the proper spawns, killzones, and proper testing. Have the list of maps and their proper gametypes that your going to play written down so you can remember them easier and load them faster.

Be organized with your maps so you don’t spend too much time searching or load the wrong gametypes. I typed out all 600+ maps alphabetically on a hard copy with either an I(impact), E(erosion), or R(ravine) next to the map name to know where they are located. It’s not hard if you are only adding 12 a week. I also have a page for each individual gametype i.e. race, flood, minigame, competitive, and aesthetic. This makes it easier to load them up and keep the lobby from long waits.

2. CONTROL YOUR LOBBY: It’s your lobby with no one to blame but you if it sucks. Some things just don’t work and it’s better to just cut someone loose if they don’t accept a warning. If you are not willing to do this then the whole lobby will suffer and you will loose your lobby. Some of these behaviors include:

AVOID PARTY CHAT AT ALL COST- customs require sociable interactions. If someone can’t hear rules (especially honor rules) then they will ruin your lobby. Mics are preferred but not essential.

ENFORCE HONOR RULES IF NECESSARY- In some custom games there are honor rules which require you to play a certain way. If you allow these to be broken then expect your lobby to be broken apart too.

DON'T ALLOW NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR- If someone is constantly being negative it will spread. Don’t allow unwarranted and unnecessary negative remarks to continue on too long. It spreads like cancer and before you know it, no one is having fun. Shit talk and being competitive is different, but know when to draw the line.

IF THEY DON’T LIKE IT END IT- I offer the three strikes rule that if only three of the 16 ask to end it then it’s over. It’s better to loose out on a game you might have liked then to have your whole party leave.

DON’T ALLOW RACISM OR MEAN BEHAVIOR- Do not allow unnecessary attacks on gender, sexual preferences, race, religion, age, skills, ETC. The terminology which would be used as such can offend most people and people will not return. Try to eliminate attacks on any person in the lobby, young or old, male or female, etc. This being said, it’s your own choice, but if people don’t feel comfortable or welcomed then you’re left with a party of one.
DON’T LET PEOPLE OVERPOWER THE MICS- Do not allow guest to have background noise like t.v.'s, personal phone calls, music, etc. It’s annoying! Plus, if someone is rambling or giving a play by play on everything it also get’s old real quick.

DON’T ALLOW GUEST TO BE MIA or AFK- Make time for breaks according to the request of the group. If they need a bathroom break, time to grab a drink, smoke a cig, or time for anything else that takes away from the game, then invite them to request it instead of just leaving. If several are in agreement, then let them take a break. (Beer=piss breaks) If the majority doesn't need one, then ask them to leave and request to get back in.

CONTROL PARTY LEAD- It’s your lobby. If they want to be the leader then they can start their own. If you allow “that guy” to assume host position then expect the following phrases: “I have just one more, you guys will love it”, “Well, I’ll fix that but this next one is waaaayy better”, and “trust me you’ll love this next one”. You laugh because you have all heard it. Then the established lobby all quits and the good times end because their maps sucked and you lost control.

REQUEST A TYPED “INV” MESSAGE TO JOIN- If you are constantly listening to messages from everyone who wants to join then your not able to be in control, are you? It’s much easier for one person to send a message asking to join then one person to send out 50 invites, do the math and apply some common sense here people.

3. ASK FOR A REVIEW: You are not asking too much for your guest to give you props for taking the time to make their night more entertaining. Don’t be afraid to remind them that they can say thank you by giving you a positive review. The rating can be found in the top right corner In the form of a green check or red x.

4. RSVP’s and KNOWING THEIR FUNCTION- When you RSVP it does not automatically put you into the custom game for those who thunk slower than others. It’s a way to become more organized and show who “wants” to attend or “intended” to attend. When you click yes to RSVP please take the time to input your ACTUAL gamertag(especially if you are one of those who used a different forum name to make things difficult) so that the host will be able to contact you. Or to even further your chances of getting in on the game, just send a texted message requesting an invite.

*If you have more to add or comments on what is here then feel free to do so.*

I've sometimes left custom game lobbies simply because there was one person who never shut up. I like the lobbies where the leader kicks people like that lol. I mean, its one thing if they are talking about the game, or asking a question, and are waiting their turn to speak. That's a conversation lol. I just hate hearing one person constantly talking louder just to drown out the other people, just so he can be like 'oh try my gametype, try my gametype oh please!' If there's a conversation going on, and someone wants to request a map/gametype, it takes no time at all to just quickly type out something like 'can we try out x-map in my flshr pls?'. I can't stand being interrupted :D

Reactions: Spades N AZ

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
I've sometimes left custom game lobbies simply because there was one person who never shut up. I like the lobbies where the leader kicks people like that lol. I mean, its one thing if they are talking about the game, or asking a question, and are waiting their turn to speak. That's a conversation lol. I just hate hearing one person constantly talking louder just to drown out the other people, just so he can be like 'oh try my gametype, try my gametype oh please!' If there's a conversation going on, and someone wants to request a map/gametype, it takes no time at all to just quickly type out something like 'can we try out x-map in my flshr pls?'. I can't stand being interrupted :D
ever heard of the xbl mute feature?!
very great info! maybe you should add that a host shouldnt stick to one map only unless the lobby description says so. people you dont know are likely to leave easily when they are bored so dont play a map with all of its rounds if its too long.
for organising your lobby and gathering maps people can check out mine or berbs' thread on halo custom maps ;) they dont need to test them or organise them manually that way

Madd yoke

Novice
Jan 12, 2013
Ireland
This is some pretty good stuff. Organisation is key. I find that when i host games and i take too long to chamge the gametype and map theres always that guy who gets really pissed off and starts to bitch and moan. But i suppose its only up to the host so ill try and get my shit together. Thanks for the advice

Robius5991

Online Knight
Feb 20, 2013
Canada
Spades this is awesome! I've got thank you man, I've only been on your lobbies a few times but I must say that you've been the best host I've ever had for Game Nights. Thank you so much for teaching me a lot about how to run a smooth and enjoyable Custom Game Night. I like to think that I've progressively been getting better at all of this, and this list of tips seems to be an exceptional way to keep improving my lobbies. Thanks again for putting in the time to set this all up!

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Charles Stoot I'm guessing you don't understand what content this is about. Positive critiscm is great when "testing" maps. Which does not apply in this thread. Since this thread is not about testing, is it? It is about negative behavior in a lobby during a customs night which is never good. Even if I was talking about "negative feedback", which I wasn't, even that should be positive critiscm. How are you supposed to better a map if they just reply with a negative and don't offer positive feedback to better your map? o_O [FACEPALM]

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Troll's be putting 2 votes toward NO upon your poll. :essias2:
They are young and know everything about anything. The world must bow down to their superiority . It doesn't really matter though, I only put the poll in there because people like to click shit. Somehow that makes them happy. And then others like to troll shit and that makes them happy.