Data Lost [Feb 26, 2017] Squally's Sunday Skirmishes - Halo 5 (XONE)

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
IMAROLLINGSTONE - Traffic Jam -
This version was a clear improvement over the last one. While the map played well enough, I still feel like it could play better. The main thing holding this back from being great right now is the way the flag moves through the map. Currently, the only viable option for a flag runner is through the tunnel directly ahead of them. This makes every objective run and every encounter surrounding it predictable, and this will get stale very fast. I would look into redesigning the bases slightly so that there are multiple choices of where to run the flag once it is grabbed. This may also mean redesigning the areas at either end of the tunnels to create more routes and play space. Other small gripes include the awkward combination of infantry and vehicle pathing next to the lower sides of the bases, largely open and flat geometry where the turrets currently are, and unnecessarily long bridges in the middle of the map. Some of these things could easily get changed if you make the larger changes at either end of the tunnels and in the bases.

KilltrOTTcity - Eradicate -
Unfortunately, this map is still far too large and flat compared to the original version. There isn't enough variety in the map to encourage players to explore, take different paths, and lock down certain positions to force flow to others. The giant doughnut nature of the map is leading to boring and stale gameplay where vehicles drive around a simple circle with ease, and infantry struggle to cross wide open lines of sight only to get dominated by vehicles or any player with a long range weapon. Also, the excessive use of scripting with moving cover, doors, and hidden switches makes the map feel like one big gimmick and draws attention away from how the map itself plays.

Skyshatter7 - Goldmine -
While visually impressive, the map is far too large both vertically and laterally. Players have a hard time engaging each other from different areas of the map, creating compartmentalized combat zones that have little interaction with each other. There was zero incentive to travel to the bottom of the map, as it is a large open expanse with very few option for vertical movement, and is easily dominated by the higher positions. The upper terrain areas suffered a similar problem with long sightlines and little cover. I suggest trying to scale everything down a bit and focus on giving each area a purpose and strong connections to each other. The lower area should have some incentive and be able to fight back against higher areas while being able to easily move up. The higher areas should be harder to lock down compared to the bottom, but not so open that engagements become tedious or frustrating. Also, if you're going to include vehicles, make sure that a majority of the map can be accessed by them and that they have an impact on the way players move and fight within the map.

KILLtrOTTcity

Proficient
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
I didn't think I would be able to make it tonight but now I can so since there aren't many entries I'll request another test on my map.

Map: Eradicate
Gamertag: KilltrOTTcity
Gametype: CTF

KILLtrOTTcity

Proficient
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Feedback for maps played 4/24/16

First of all let me say that the first round of games played on the 3 maps we tested that night was a total wash and the teams were totally unbalanced which was made clear by the huge discrepancy in player kill counts and the fact that all the rounds of CTF were also clean sweeps.The next round of tests you balanced out teams very nicely and every game thereafter was competitive and not 1 game ended up in a sweep which goes to show just how important team balancing is during playtests.
Now onto the maps!

Eradicate - My map no comments.

Fracture- I couldn't tell what other changes you made to the map but the map seemed to play well for the most part and was competitive.
I think its just my playstyle because I love vehicles, but I hardly ever seem to traverse the middle areas of the map where the overshield is located.I finally had a pretty good run in the Warthog as a gunner on this map because the enemy Mantis was down when we took our hog.In a way it kind of makes me wish the Mantis wasn't there at all because there is virtually no flow for the Warthog or ghost once the enemy Mantis is at home defending. As soon as you go to the tunnel area and see the enemy Mantis its basically turn around really fast and run or be obliterated by the mantis.Theres not any ways to strafe around cover or attempt to out manuver the Mantis to stand a chance in a hog, its just basically run or die.To be fair you said that you wanted the Mantis to be a deterrant and it is fun ofcourse if you are the person that is piloting the Mantis.There were a couple good maps in halo 4 which offered good Mantis/hog interaction but I cant remember the names,but its a shame that in halo 4 everyone had plasma grenades and p-pistols which usually messed up that awesome interaction. .

Traffic Jam - This map seems to have alot of potential for excellent vehicle and especially Warthog gameplay. It's a really nice city theme that you have going for you but I think some more foliage like bushes and trees and a few more minor details around would make it feel more alive and convincing, not sure if you have the budget though.
More importantly than that is the fact that the bases only have 2 ways to acess the flag via the left or right bridge.Maybe try adding a rock down below the flag bridge or a ramp or something that allows another option and path up to the flag.Only 2 ways to access an objective is really never enough and becomes really repetetive.
Finally and most importantly is the middle bridge power position, I think right now theres only 2 real ways up to that as well which is not good especially since it holds the most powerful weapon on your map, the rockets.Maybe where those platforms are with the bushes on either side of the bridge you can add some kind of structure like a decorative rock that allows for a jumpup there.Also I was thinking to even add 2 more ways to easily access the middle bridge via gravity lifts/mancannons that can only be accessed by infantry(these would just be minor lifts that would NOT shoot the player far across the map but allow vital access for infantry to the main bridge).This would bring the central structure new found life and make it much more of a hot zone and lessen the possibility of it ever being abused if one team ever tried to camp the middle and hold onto the rockets the whole game.. I could imagine in a mm scenario a strong team camping up there especially with only 2 logical ways up.
One last thing is some may complain about the guass hog possibly becoming op; if that happens too often a Rocket Hog would be a great alternative.
But overall this map is headed in the right direction I think a few minor adjustments will make it all the more solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Hey guys, I'm sorry to say that these lobbies will be on a temporary hiatus, starting this coming Sunday. I don't expect it to be more than two weeks, but I'll keep everyone updated. In the meantime, please let me know what you want to test when the lobbies start again: BTB or 4V4?

KILLtrOTTcity

Proficient
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Hey guys, I'm sorry to say that these lobbies will be on a temporary hiatus, starting this coming Sunday. I don't expect it to be more than two weeks, but I'll keep everyone updated. In the meantime, please let me know what you want to test when the lobbies start again: BTB or 4V4?
I am a BTB diehard so I will say BTB all day every day but to find middle ground how about the idea of you rotating from 4v4 to BTB from week to week?Just sayin it will suck to wait a month or more to test a BTB map in this lobby again and I'm sure people who focus on 4v4 maps feel the opposite of what I feel.
Edit: Also it will give more time for forgers to use some feedback to help update their maps and make more significant changes if needed.

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
Stay with BTB. There's already one or more official 4chub 4v4 lobbies throughout the week.

IMAROLLINGSTONE

Proficient
Jun 25, 2013
BTB SQUALZ! BTB!

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Just a reminder: These lobbies will return to the usual weekly schedule starting tomorrow, so sign up with any maps you want to test!

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Bloodpony - Resurrection
As I said in the lobby, the biggest issue with the map right now is the size. Everything is blown way out of proportion to where even the dimensions of the buildings feel too big. Keep in mind that anywhere from a 24' space to a 48' space is comfortable for infantry, while 64' should be the maximum for vehicles. In terms of layout, the map seemed to focus entirely on red base, as it was the most defined structure in the map as well as the most defendable. Everything else was ignored due to how flat the terrain was and the excessive use of rocks as lazy cover. I suggest experimenting with some terraced terrain and large rock ledges, perhaps in the shape of a dried up riverbed similar to the blue spawn on Burial Mounds.

KILLtrOTTcity - Prophet's Fire
This map is definitely closer to an appropriate scale compared to your last one, and the overall design seems to be an improvement in the right direction. The biggest issue I saw with the map was the overabundance of corners and angles jutting out from all the disconnected structures. These made navigating the map difficult for both infantry and vehicles. On top of this, the bases were far too powerful. Routes to the top were limited, and the space to either side of the bases were large open fields were infantry could easily get gunned down from a distance. There were very few opportunities to flank or sneak up on the bases. I suggest looking into redesigning parts of the bases to allow players to flank them from the sides, as well as adding more variety into the open spaces surrounding the bases. In addition, finding a way to more seamlessly integrate the side "towers" adjacent to the bases into the middle of the map to create one large super structure could help improve the map as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.