Community Conversion

Hello Halo Customs! For the past 7 months now, The Psycho Duck and I have been working on a project that has been pretty massive in scope. Up until now only a few select people have played or heard about it, but that is about to change! Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Conversion, a new game mode in Halo 4 designed by the community, for the community!​
Conversion is an asymmetrical, progressive-objective based game mode. It has many similarities to modes such as Invasion and Territories in Halo: Reach alongside a balanced weapon setup and the smooth gameplay of Halo 4. It is a blend of some of the best features from the Halo series and it will fill the void many feel in the series after the removal of asymmetric game modes with Halo 4.​
While many people have tried to make similar modes to try to recapture Invasion in Halo 4, The Psycho duck and I decided we wanted to create a standardized mode and map type so that many people could become involved not just in playing Conversion, but in making their own maps for it. Because the mode is standardized and the maps designed around it, anyone who has played the game mode could potentially make their own Conversion map. There are 2 completed Conversion maps fully tested and ready to be played right now, both created by Duck and myself, but there are also many more in the works or in the planning stages by other members of the Halo community. The game type is not modded, so for those of you who prefer to shy away from modding this mode is completely legitimate.​
Much of how the mode works is described in the video above, but I will run you briefly through how the game is played. Conversion is played with 2 teams of 6 people each over 2 rounds, allowing each team to play an offense round and a defense round. The Blue team always runs offense first and the Red team always starts out on defense. In each round there are 3 objectives, the first of which starts out on the map and the others unlock as objectives are captured. Offense team must plant an Extraction node and defend it for 45 seconds in order to score a point and move on to the next objective. Defense team may attempt to convert the node and intercept the point. Defense team can score on the offense round, but they cannot activate the objective until offense team first plants it. After either team scores the first objective a number of things will happen. Both teams will start respawning further along in the map, and weapons and vehicles will start to unlock for each team. After the second objective is captured or intercepted, all weapons and vehicles unlock, making the fight for the final objective all out war. After one team scores 3 objectives in a round or the timer runs out, the teams switch sides and the next round begins back at the first objective.​
Players are offered 3 load outs to spawn with that allow them to play different roles in the fight: A quick and CQC focussed medic class, a standard Battle Rifle Class, or a more ranged DMR class. A good team will want to have all 3 classes in play if they can, though sometimes one class may be more appropriate than another. Teamwork is essential in Conversion, as is communicating and putting together a strategy, as there are many factors into who comes out on top. There will be 2 maps released with the game mode at launch that were designed from the ground up for Conversion. These maps have been tested for months on end and are highly polished. These are shown below and will be posted on HC in the following days.​
The first of those maps is Firebase, a medium sized Conversion map set on Ravine. Firebase uses Ravine's terrain in new and interesting ways in order to feel like a completely different place, yet still feel rooted in the Halo universe. Firebase features a Rocket Warthog for the attackers and plenty of power weapons for both teams. Gameplay is fast paced but strategic, and positions of power on the map are often as important to hold as the objective itself.​
The second map is Colony, a large scale Conversion map set on Impact. This map is much larger than Firebase and more vehicle heavy, with a Rocket Hog, Ghost, and Mantis roaming the map and more power weapons at the player's disposal. Colony flows very differently from Firebase but still follows the same formula, and teamwork and communication are still the keys to victory.​
While no game mode will please every part of the community, we know there has been a serious want for asymmetrical modes and strategic gameplay in Halo 4. Conversion is our answer to that want, and those who have played it tell us that it fills the gap beautifully. In order to get members of HC into lobbies playing this new mode, Halo Customs will be adding the option to list your custom game lobby as playing Conversion. Duck and I will be hosting lobbies over the next week to help get players into Conversion games as well, but feel free to start your own Conversion lobby all the same! I hope you all enjoy this exciting new addition to the Halo 4 sandbox and help make many more maps for this mode in the future! There are already a lot of maps just getting started all around the community, and maybe a few even further along. ;) Enjoy!​

Just make sure you guys are putting in just as much time looking for content from the community as you are creating content for the community. That's all I ask :)
Yeah they here you but at the moment the community isn't doing much spectacular stuff to fill the media stream

My opinion on the gametype: It's fantabulous!
My opinion on staff using the media stream to advertise their own projects: Not so fantabulous!

Lol Paints, we didn't just self-promote it because we could. We asked the rest of the staff and made sure this was something that we all wanted on Halo Customs. We definitely feature a lot of good stuff from the community, but I don't feel that we should be excluded from featuring something really awesome when we have something to show. It's not like we have another Conversion to pull out of our pockets every tuesday evening. ;)

Reactions: Tedium
Lol Paints, we didn't just self-promote it because we could. We asked the rest of the staff and made sure this was something that we all wanted on Halo Customs. We definitely feature a lot of good stuff from the community, but I don't feel that we should be excluded from featuring something really awesome when we have something to show. It's not like we have another Conversion to pull out of our pockets every tuesday evening. ;)

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy either. It's just the fact that if anyone else created a gametype like this, it would sit hidden in the maps section and most likely not catch on. Being staff however, you have the option to display your best work right on the home page. It kind of feels more like I'm forced to look at it rather than it being mixed in with everyone else's gametypes, where it would have the same chance at being a successful gametype as every other gametype made by other members of the site. If you read this with the wrong intentions it may come off as a "staff iz corrupt" argument but I'm really just clearly stating the fact that a staff member has more opportunities to get a map/gametype recognized.

Alright, I played in the lobby yesterday and have some feedback.

1. I had framerate issues on both Firebase and Colony, mostly when people were putting up Regen Fields or grenades were going off. I did have a bit of frame-rate without any of that when on Colony, looking towards the vehicle bay from that area opposite the big bridge (I have no idea what to call it, from the vehicle bay it's to your left).

2. There were some spots where the terrain got rather bumpy and I got stuck (especially transitioning from natural terrain to forge blocks on Firebase).

3. Needs more ammoooo. If you're going to use personal ordnance as a replacement for ammo on the map (I'm assuming this was an intentional choice because I found exactly one primary on the map, a DMR by the waterfall on Firebase), could you please make the choices consistent? There were several occasions on both maps that I ran out of DMR / BR ammo, wasn't all of the way through my POD meter, couldn't find any primaries nearby, and just rushed with the Magnum and died to get ammo back. A simple solution to this problem would be to place a few more primaries on the map and/or to make the ones that are on the map more on the beaten path / visible.

4. Not sure what to think of converting the attackers' point. If the goal is to recreate Invasion, why not give zero seconds (or whatever the lowest setting is) to extract after arming and a longer-than-zero convert time? Outside of the Invasion context, it seemed like the game became pointless when we converted and scored four points. No matter what the enemy team did, we would have won.

The experience overall was refreshing (nice to see a new gametype.. we need them after so many being taken out from previous games). It's not often that I am even close to enjoying an unmodded game of Halo 4. :)

Those games were a bit laggy, there's never been any non-connection based framerate drops on either map in any of the tests. I have deduced over the years that I have a very framerate-sensitive Xbox compared to most people, and I've never gotten more than a very slight hitch on either map. There's actually more framerate drops on many of the vanilla maps in Halo 4.

There are a few spots on Colony with bumps when transitioning from terrain to forge objects, but none on Firebase that Shoe or I (or anyone else in any of the tests, for that matter) have ever found. The bumps on Colony are quite minor, and have never been found to cause issues.

As far as ammo goes, there are no primary weapons placed on the map. Ammo is quite easy to find, even outside of the personal ordnance. Sure, ammo will be scarce if you're trying to camp around the outskirts of a map, but venturing inwards at all will yield plenty of leftover ammo from dead Spartans. The personal ordnance used to yield strictly consistent drops, but that was amended to include the chance for either a DMR or a BR drop. The drops still consistently yield the option for either an Assault Rifle, a precision weapon, or grenades, so they still work to consistently provide you with ammunition and the option between a few different types. Worst case scenario, you'll have to switch from a BR to a DMR or vica versa. Still, we feel that this shouldn't be a problem to most people, and it's worth allowing players to have the chance at receiving either weapon.

The goal was never to recreate Invasion. While Conversion has many intentional similarities to Invasion, it is its own beast. It was also restricted in some ways by the options available to us in the gametype settings. Intercepting the point on defense, while it wasn't something that we initially wanted as a feature in the mode, has become a rather interesting gameplay element. Again, as I said two or three times to you last night: the score difference is no different than in any other mode. Why go for another flag capture if you're already two points ahead and you can put up an adequate defense on your own flag for the rest of the match? Well, because that's the objective of the game. Is winning by three points not better than winning by one?

Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the mode for the most part. I hope this has alleviated some of your concerns.

My opinion on the gametype: It's fantabulous!
My opinion on staff using the media stream to advertise their own projects: Not so fantabulous!

Paints, while I can see where you're coming from, let me provide a few counter-arguments. First of all, had someone else spent months working on something like this, it would have been spotlighted just the same. Conversion was started a few days before this website even came to be. it's been a plan for a long while to promote Conversion through HaloCustoms. Conversion was something designed to be enjoyed by the Halo custom games community, so why wouldn't it get spotlighted here? Also, may I remind you that i give up the vast majority of my free time to spotlight content created by others to a wide audience on YouTube. So, should I not be allowed to spotlight my own creations when I put so much time and effort into spotlighting the work of others?

Those games were a bit laggy, there's never been any non-connection based framerate drops on either map in any of the tests. I have deduced over the years that I have a very framerate-sensitive Xbox compared to most people, and I've never gotten more than a very slight hitch on either map. There's actually more framerate drops on many of the vanilla maps in Halo 4.

Alright.

There are a few spots on Colony with bumps when transitioning from terrain to forge objects, but none on Firebase that Shoe or I (or anyone else in any of the tests, for that matter) have ever found. The bumps on Colony are quite minor, and have never been found to cause issues.

I'll go into forge and try to walk through some of the trouble spots again. I'll get back to you later. I definitely know that they are there, though.

As far as ammo goes, there are no primary weapons placed on the map. Ammo is quite easy to find, even outside of the personal ordnance. Sure, ammo will be scarce if you're trying to camp around the outskirts of a map, but venturing inwards at all will yield plenty of leftover ammo from dead Spartans. The personal ordnance used to yield strictly consistent drops, but that was amended to include the chance for either a DMR or a BR drop. The drops still consistently yield the option for either an Assault Rifle, a precision weapon, or grenades, so they still work to consistently provide you with ammunition and the option between a few different types. Worst case scenario, you'll have to switch from a BR to a DMR or vica versa. Still, we feel that this shouldn't be a problem to most people, and it's worth allowing players to have the chance at receiving either weapon.

Yeah, I was hanging around the outskirts of the map for most of the game. :p it's a legitimate strategy.
Anyways I think that most of the deaths actually go on in the extraction point itself, which is almost continuously filled with people fighting. If that occasional guy with the BR/DMR dies, it would probably be outside of the extraction point in a place harder to see / get than the ARs (ex: that guy holding the top of the vehicle bay on the first stage of Colony with a dmr). I think it would be nice to see a decrease in the amount of points needed for personal ordnance (it's not like it's giving you power weapons anyways) or just an occasional BR or two on the outskirts of the map so that DMR people can't camp forever but don't have to feel useless with a Magnum when they push forwards.

The goal was never to recreate Invasion. While Conversion has many intentional similarities to Invasion, it is its own beast. It was also restricted in some ways by the options available to us in the gametype settings. Intercepting the point on defense, while it wasn't something that we initially wanted as a feature in the mode, has become a rather interesting gameplay element. Again, as I said two or three times to you last night: the score difference is no different than in any other mode. Why go for another flag capture if you're already two points ahead and you can put up an adequate defense on your own flag for the rest of the match? Well, because that's the objective of the game. Is winning by three points not better than winning by one?

Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the mode for the most part. I hope this has alleviated some of your concerns.

To create some kind of parallel: in One-Flag, wouldn't the game end when it was statistically impossible for you to catch up? Just a thought.

As for your point about flags.. you don't really need to. That's Adrift CTF and why it plays so slowly at a high level in a nutshell.

On the point of not having to capture any more objectives to win Spin, let me offer an example from another asymmetrical round based mode: 1 Flag CTF. It's possible to end up in the last round with 1 team having definitively won, but the game does not end there. While the other team may not be able to win, even if they capture the objective, there is still a chance to redeem themselves and tighten the score. It can feel really good to bring a game from 3-1 to 3-2 right before the game ends. Sure, you still lost, but you closed the gap some and showed that you had a strong team playing. Players at least deserve the chance to get that, and in other asymm modes lime 1 flag or 1 bomb you were given that chance. I'm happy that you get in in Conversion too, it's still fun to play at that point, and on the winning team you certainly want to try to win by as much as possible.

While I could, I won't go on about how you did not explore all your options the fact that you can't take any form of criticism on your game type/project is evidence enough. What I will say is by using "classes" the player is forced to make a locked in choice, this limiting them. However you are blinded by your hard work to see that. While I agree spawning with Plasma pistol and bolt shot are bs. The fact is if it was so bad why does match making only encourage that kind of game play. Ya 343i is trash along with halo 4. That being said, in your "seven months of development" did you think about the fact that by creating your own game type to use with this creating. You are only creating another version of halo 4 to play? Look back to reach by the end we had (on matchmaking alone) three or four different vs. of the game we had invasion that used default (what shipped on the disc) reach mechanics. TU mechanics in things like btb and ctf, as well as MLG ZB mechanics. Your "solution" to current Halo 4 game play only increases the problem that halo 4 faces as did reach. That being everyone is playing their own version of the game. A problem not seen in Halo's 2 and 3.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be negative, I'm trying to help you see "options" or things you might not have looked at. By having fixed load outs you automatically prevented this game mode and maps form joining match making. I like the idea but your pass successes have defeated you on this one. I would also have to agree with Pa1nt's, while props for creating HC, way to self promote the hell out of this thing. I guess power corrupts absolute.
See ya around Flying Shoe ILR,
-Vent

He explained to you why they decided against allowing personal loadouts, so he is responding to your criticism, not rejecting it. It seems your main problem is that they aren't bending something they've been working on for over half a year to the restrictions of Halo 4 multiplayer just to get it in the playlists. The whole point of Forge and custom games is so that you can play your own version of the game, and it may still get into multiplayer, there are playlists without personal loadouts, look at Legendary Slayer.

As for your complaints about them advertising it on HC, they also have been advertising on YouTube, I believe it's their spotlight video, but I may be wrong. They self-promote stuff they made on there all the time and promote community maps and gametypes. If you had been working on something for 7 months to put out to a community and had a website, you would promote it on your website, correct? A lot of people on here are creating threads and such so THEY can self-promote, just look at the customs section in the threads. And when the workers\THFE find a good gametype and\or map they want to feature, they spotlight it in the feed. There's nothing wrong with them doing something they've been doing on YouTube for years. They made it for the community, so they have to get it out TO the community.

This looks like it's gonna be great, I'm downloading it as soon as I can, great job to everyone who tested and made this gametype possible, gonna be in customs a lot more now

I would just like to point out that if you look at the media stream you'll notice several posts promoting non-staff events or maps. See the staff picks or look back just about a week ago to see some examples of this. When Psycho and Shoe came to us with the gametype, we had a talk about the decision to feature it like this. We all agreed that since the gametype was so unique and well developed, it should be made known.

As for the loadouts, I have the complete opposite feeling on the options looked to. I think that set loadouts and roles are only a benefit to gametypes like this. Look at Invasion, Team Fortress 1 and 2 (Dustbowl in particular), and Battlefield (Rush games) to name a few games. These games all have even more specified classes with particular roles. One thing I really like about the ones Duck and Shoe made though is that you are not restricted to anything (as opposed to classes like the engineer in TF2 who's sole purpose is essentially making a turret and dispenser). Picked AR and you want to do some distance shooting? I'm sure there's a BR or DMR near you somewhere, or in ordnance to get. Chose BR and want to rush a capture point? you can do that and help defend the guy setting up the capture with your shield or stay back and shoot people from a distance.

Really, the gametype is great. I've had more fun on it than any other Halo 4 game mode, I think. As far as I am concerned, it works the best that it ever will, and it needs to be made known so that more maps and games can be played with conversion.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

He explained to you why they decided against allowing personal loadouts, so he is responding to your criticism, not rejecting it. It seems your main problem is that they aren't bending something they've been working on for over half a year to the restrictions of Halo 4 multiplayer just to get it in the playlists. The whole point of Forge and custom games is so that you can play your own version of the game, and it may still get into multiplayer, there are playlists without personal loadouts, look at Legendary Slayer.

As for your complaints about them advertising it on HC, they also have been advertising on YouTube, I believe it's their spotlight video, but I may be wrong. They self-promote stuff they made on there all the time and promote community maps and gametypes. If you had been working on something for 7 months to put out to a community and had a website, you would promote it on your website, correct? A lot of people on here are creating threads and such so THEY can self-promote, just look at the customs section in the threads. And when the workers\THFE find a good gametype and\or map they want to feature, they spotlight it in the feed. There's nothing wrong with them doing something they've been doing on YouTube for years. They made it for the community, so they have to get it out TO the community.

This looks like it's gonna be great, I'm downloading it as soon as I can, great job to everyone who tested and made this gametype possible, gonna be in customs a lot more now
Boss, let them fight their own battles. I have already talked with them 1 on 1 and everything' s good. So don't get involved when you are not needed. it's because of people acting out (like you have) that this chat if full of extra crap. Just let them respond to criticism. When it's your map and game type up there, then message me and defended to the last man. For now just down load it and quietly sit down, if your only plan is to fight on their behalf. If you want to post that the maps and game type are great! then do it. But don't tell others, how the makers feel. You don't know them.

Boss, let them fight their own battles. I have already talked with them 1 on 1 and everything' s good. So don't get involved when you are not needed. it's because of people acting out (like you have) that this chat if full of extra crap. Just let them respond to criticism. When it's your map and game type up there, then message me and defended to the last man. For now just down load it and quietly sit down, if your only plan is to fight on their behalf. If you want to post that the maps and game type are great! then do it. But don't tell others, how the makers feel. You don't know them.

o_O :mad: :stahp: :thefinger: :eek: :eek: :lmao: :pirate:

Reactions: Tomtris
I can't help but feel that this works as a double-edged sword, a xiphos if you will (xAudienceofone). At the same time, Vientus, you shouldn't be telling him how to act. He has every right to express his opinions on this forum. He presented his thoughts in a very mature fashion, which in no way came across as "extra crap."

Well Dax, you shouldn't tell vientus how to act- hold on. Lemme think this through. Uh, Dax, I suggest that you don't want to tell Vientus how to act. There. Broke the cycle.

...I didn't. It's good that everything was taken care of with PMs, but how was EagleTitan supposed to know? His reply didn't warrant Vientus's brash comment.

This is getting a bit too far off, methinks. Clean up on aisle Conversion!

All I have to say on this: I said what I said and stand by it. I'm not gonna waste my time arguing (despite there being plenty for me to argue about), if I wanted to argue I would go on YouTube. It's not why I'm here. Next time I'll be psychic and know when everything has been fixed. End of discussion for me, please no more about it. I hate how far off track this has gotten.

Now, as far as Conversion goes, this looks like an amazing game. Seems a lot like Invasion, and I loved Forging and playing that. This is one of those times I wish I had Forge World, where I could make a huge map where the attackers pushed from the island into the valley for a huge vehicle battle. But i think that I can make Impact and Forge Island work just as well;) Anyone who would like to help me test them when I finish please PM me on here or Xbox Live.
After this post, just focus on the gametype, maps, and possibilities Conversion has
Again, great job to everyone who made this gametype possible!