Community Poll: FORGE

forge3_zps85c1b7f8.jpg

ROAD TO UTOPIA
What better way to let 343 know what we want other than to TELL them?

VOTE NOW!

If you would like to support this cause but are unfamiliar with forge, I would recommend watching THFE's video of forge tool wishes as Oakley Hidef presents some great ideas: VIDEO.

This poll was created by collecting suggestions from The Halo Council, ForgeHub, Halo Customs, Waypoint, 343Industries.org and other community sites. Please note, this poll is open to the general public. You do not need to be a member of THC to participate.

Thanks for Participating! Please visit our other poll on CAMPAIGN and help yourself make a better HALO!

Big thanks to Certain Affinity for their support on twitter!

voted. I didnt see an option for forgers purchasing object DLC. you buy the DLC to forge with new objects. but you don't need it to play them.

It would be great to get DLC content for forge like Forge Island...but we can't ask them to separate Forge content intentionally. If something is available as DLC, it should address a complaint that the community has made to their system.

For the most part, the top 8 picks seem focused more on aesthetics. The more practical selections seem less likely to catch up at this point. :(

For the most part, the top 8 picks seem focused more on aesthetics. The more practical selections seem less likely to catch up at this point. :(

A lot of the "aesthetic" picks could easily be redirected towards a practical function (i.e. terrain editor for smooth topography).

A lot of the "aesthetic" picks could easily be redirected towards a practical function (i.e. terrain editor for smooth topography).

Yes. But if the canvas has terrain set as costing 0 on the engine, how many alterations will equal the same as a strut? An undo function, lock n drag, and even budget/item limits have much more practicality to them.

Yes. But if the canvas has terrain set as costing 0 on the engine, how many alterations will equal the same as a strut?
You just answered your own question, in a way. People spend a considerable budget amount on other block pieces (for the sake of the discussion, let's say they're using Brace, Large as a ground piece). With a terrain editor many floor pieces will become obsolete, saving budget and piece count for other structural pieces.

You just answered your own question, in a way. People spend a considerable budget amount on other block pieces (for the sake of the discussion, let's say they're using Brace, Large as a ground piece). With a terrain editor many floor pieces will become obsolete, saving budget and piece count for other structural pieces.

Only if you plan on having terrestrial flooring then yes. But if your are just trying to flatten an annoying hill or bump, then it is an extra cost on top of the map you're forging. There doesn't seem to be a way to know how much that will add to rendering. Again, it's practical use is linear because moving the terrain could be equal to using a piece. This could force people to use dirt floors inside buildings where it looks out of place, just because of how much is costs the engine to manipulate terrain.

Only if you plan on having terrestrial flooring then yes. But if your are just trying to flatten an annoying hill or bump, then it is an extra cost on top of the map you're forging. There doesn't seem to be a way to know how much that will add to rendering. Again, it's practical use is linear because moving the terrain could be equal to using a piece. This could force people to use dirt floors inside buildings where it looks out of place, just because of how much is costs the engine to manipulate terrain.

i think it's better to just think of it as a new tool. if people want to keep making slayer maps the same way they always have they still can, if people choose to utilize some terrain editor then they should feel free to use it as they please :)

i think it's better to just think of it as a new tool. if people want to keep making slayer maps the same way they always have they still can, if people choose to utilize some terrain editor then they should feel free to use it as they please :)

OK, just to clear something up first. I am in no way saying that we shouldn't have some type of terrain editor. I would probably use it if we got one too. What I'm saying is, things that may potentially lag the engine shouldn't take priority over things that assist in map creation. I don't fault anyone for wanting to make prettier Infection maps with weather effects/time of day/aesthetic scenery objects, but those won't better the map creation process on the whole. An Undo function just seems like a no-brainer as to having it in Forge. Locking objects together is one that also improves Forging maps across all game types because it adds to the versatility of map making. Being able to select simpler textures on objects would alleviate issues with weight on those objects, resulting in Forge maps being able to handle more than 12 players at once, allowing more aesthetic designs, more objects on screen, or giving the frame rate a buff. Being able to designate trajectory arcs on man cannons and grav-lifts would remove the need to box them in with over $100 worth of objects + shield doors, saving items and budget space. Revamping the budget and item costs makes perfect sense, which will assist all Forgers in understanding object weights, thus allowing them to make better choices in map design earlier on. Being able to resize/reshape gravity volumes is another option that needs to be implemented. All these have basic map design applications.

So in short, what I'm saying is that the features that should take priority to be implemented in the next iteration of Forge should cover basic map making functionality, with the broadest applicable use. Things that competitive and noncompetitive maps can all benefit from.