Book Worms

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
ReamDe (correctly spelled) would make such a fucking perfect movie. I have high hopes that it will get picked up some day.
It's just so perfectly set up to be a kick ass movie, or two movies even.

CyanWolfKing

Novice
Feb 18, 2013
Currently I'm not reading anything, but I did read LOTS of good books last month, such as The Sight (about wolves), Fell (sequel to The Sight), Rot and Ruin (zombies), and Dust and Decay (Sequel to Rot and Ruin). I was reading a book called Ashes, but i got uninterested like a chapter from finishing it. I hate when that happens.

evergreen948

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Sydney, Straya
I havent read anything in a while (dont hate on me, i love books) i think the last one i read was "the curious incident of the dog in the night time"... That was a sad book

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Finished reading Fate of Worlds today.

Earlier in the thread, i had complained about being let down by the last Ringworld book I had read.
Well, this one completely makes up for it. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, it was great.
It ties up a ton of loose ends, comes to a satisfying finish, and left me basically just saying "Fuck yeah." as I closed the book.

Once again, i recommend the entire series to all.

fate+of+worlds.JPG

Reactions: Roche

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
I just finished off the "Mars" series by Kim Stanley Robinson and I thought I'd post some final thoughts on the series as a whole. I've changed my mind somewhat on the scientific descriptions and explanations in the series. While I still feel they're a bit overdone in some places, I don't think they're as bad as I first made them out to be. To be honest I actually really began to enjoy them as in many ways the use of dry, unbiased and entirely descriptive description of things has a certain poetry to it, I think, when properly done, it highlights the complex beauty of many otherwise "ordinary" aspects of everyday life

I found myself at times during otherwise ordinary Bus journeys enthralled by just how inconceivably unlikely our existence really is. Yet it almost seems inevitable for me to be sitting on a bus, surrounded by people, on an inconceivably small rock, spinning through the immense vastness of space at a speed I can't comprehend, around an immense nuclear fire which gives me life and vitality. Perhaps it's just a particular mood I need to be in but I found Robinson really managed to hammer home the sheer significance of the ordinary.

I also found the interpersonal relationships to be well done and realistic, I can only really comment on this aspect of it now that I'm done as many relationships were built upon and developed throughout the trilogy and only really come to a satisfying conclusion at the end of the story.

I'd like to post more thoughts and elaborate a little on some points though I'd need to go into some story details and I'd hate to spoil anything. So I'll just say I'd recommend it for anyone into Science Fiction set in the near future, it deals with many current issues and it's quite interesting. But I'd only pick it up if you're ready to commit to a long (and rather dense series) there's times when it can be more than a bit dull but others which are absolutely enthralling. The series has a satisfying conclusion and I feel happy it ended where it did.

Finished reading Fate of Worlds today.

Earlier in the thread, i had complained about being let down by the last Ringworld book I had read.
Well, this one completely makes up for it. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, it was great.
It ties up a ton of loose ends, comes to a satisfying finish, and left me basically just saying "Fuck yeah." as I closed the book.

Once again, i recommend the entire series to all.

I think I've read the first three books back when I was just getting into Science Fiction and from what I've read I will agree that it's a pretty interesting read, however I will say I didn't really have any desire to continue the series after the third book. I'm not sure why exactly, it is a rather tough read as an intro to Science Fiction I suppose. Especially since it is considered "hard" Sci-Fi which is a genre you really need to learn to love.

I would recommend the series to anyone despite that though, even if only the first book to test the waters. It has a great immense scale to it and some of technological concepts explored are really quite fantastic and interesting. Perhaps I'll give it another shot myself.

Anyways I've moved onto "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martell as a break from all the Science Fiction I've been reading lately. I'm only about two chapters in but from what little I can tell it's well written, humorous with really vivid descriptions. From what little I've gotten into I can already tell it should be a good read.

Reactions: Titmar

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Sounds really good, i'll have to put that on my List.

Your description of the interpersonal relationships part reminds me of a book I've mentioned a couple times in this thread:

350.jpg

Here is a snip from the brief review of it that i wrote on Goodreads:

In short, the book is about a man/martian found on Mars, who is brought back to Earth to live there.
But the book is so much more than that.
It deals with the religious, political, economical, and sociological ramifications of this man's presence. And it is surprisingly relevant considering the time it was written.
Although I wasn't too pleased with the very end of the book, due to my own personal views,
I found the entire book to be very excellent and thought-provoking.
I don't really consider it in the same realm as most scifi that I read.
There is no epicness, no space battles, no grandeur.
It is a story about people... about humanity... about the nature of religion and of society.

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
Sounds really good, i'll have to put that on my List.

Your description of the interpersonal relationships part reminds me of a book I've mentioned a couple times in this thread:

Here is a snip from the brief review of it that i wrote on Goodreads:

In short, the book is about a man/martian found on Mars, who is brought back to Earth to live there.
But the book is so much more than that.
It deals with the religious, political, economical, and sociological ramifications of this man's presence. And it is surprisingly relevant considering the time it was written.
Although I wasn't too pleased with the very end of the book, due to my own personal views,
I found the entire book to be very excellent and thought-provoking.
I don't really consider it in the same realm as most scifi that I read.
There is no epicness, no space battles, no grandeur.
It is a story about people... about humanity... about the nature of religion and of society.

It sounds really cool, I do like stuff which focuses more on people and society as a whole and how people interact with each other. Rather than just a super futuristic war scenario.

Though I will admit there's space for both in the genre as can be seen in books like "The Forever War". I'll put it down on my ever growing to read list after "The Life of PI" I've got so much to get through it's scary.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
yea man, i know that feeling. my list is quite big as well.
i usually go through random spurts of reading. i'll be distracted by something like halo and not read for months,
and then suddenly the mood will hit me and i'll read a couple books in a week, and then go back to not reading. its weird.

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
yea man, i know that feeling. my list is quite big as well.
i usually go through random spurts of reading. i'll be distracted by something like halo and not read for months,
and then suddenly the mood will hit me and i'll read a couple books in a week, and then go back to not reading. its weird.

I've got a two hour travel time to and from college everyday so I get a lot of reading done, still though I always find I'll be in the middle of a book then I'll find like four or five other things I'd like to read.

The best and most frustrating thing about reading is that there's always something new and interesting to discover.