Book Worms

Pavlos

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Edinburgh
Almost finished this:
45100.jpg

really looking forward to the rest of the trilogy and maybe more of her books while I wait for GRRM

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
Currently reading Stephen King's 11/23/63 book about the JFK assasination. Amazingly fun, even for King. Need to read more and play Halo less (OH THE HORROR!).

Get it? "horror" and "Stephen King"??? I'm pretty friggin witty.

Reactions: Tedium

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Oh! Oh! Has anyone read 11/22/63?
Currently reading Stephen King's 11/23/63 book about the JFK assasination. Amazingly fun, even for King. Need to read more and play Halo less (OH THE HORROR!).

Yessss!!! Nice one dude! I loved that book so much. I read it at the same time as some of my friends, and we had a fucking ball with it. Very, very glad to hear someone else is reading it. How far are you into it?

Reactions: CO BOARDERS

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Almost finished this:
45100.jpg

really looking forward to the rest of the trilogy and maybe more of her books while I wait for GRRM

give me a brief breakdown of this.
would you say it's stereotypical fantasy, or does it do new things?

(by stereotypical, i mean LOTR, WOT, that sort of thing. the weak and timid hero goes on a quest to save the world and finds himself in the process, yada yada yada)

grodfromguate

Novice
Jan 13, 2013
Whiterun, Skyrim
I love Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Xenocide was cool but not as good as the first two. I'm about to start reading Children of the Mind and I'm so freaking pumped for the Ender's Game movie.

375802.jpg

ArmdNinja547

Qualified
Jan 9, 2013
If you guys are into Zombie books, you should definitely look into the Day by Day: Armageddon series. It is really quite good, and the third book in the series was just recently released. If you haven't ever read a zombie based book I highly recommend you do, it's very good. The author is J.L Bourne and is an active member in the United States Military. Check out his books!

Indie Anthias

Master
Jan 14, 2013
Currently reading The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse, kinda strange and slow, but intriguing. It's set way in the future and a large colony has returned to some notion of classical intellectualism, a backlash from our modern fucktardery, not sure if I agree with the commentary on us this offers. It's nice at parts but really I'm just trying to finish and be done with it. Not something I would recommend. It's considered a classic so maybe don't listen to me.

Up next for me is a trilogy of Alan Watts books I found at the library. I like his talks on youtube so much I decided I need to read something by him now.

As for recommendations I strongly suggest anything by Daniel Quinn, particularly his Ishmael trilogy. Very readable, it amounts to a complete philosophical presentation of the human condition from the author. It can very loosely be categorized as 'environmental'. This is some controversial material. It goes against views ranging from what could be called religious to nihilistic, and many in between.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
I love Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Xenocide was cool but not as good as the first two. I'm about to start reading Children of the Mind and I'm so freaking pumped for the Ender's Game movie.

375802.jpg

If you like this dude, check out his book The Lost Gate. It's pretty cool. Would make a great movie.
I loved the ties to Norse mythology in it, though they were somewhat blasphemous.

Pavlos

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Edinburgh
give me a brief breakdown of this.
would you say it's stereotypical fantasy, or does it do new things?

(by stereotypical, i mean LOTR, WOT, that sort of thing. the weak and timid hero goes on a quest to save the world and finds himself in the process, yada yada yada)

Not sure if it's possible to do new things or have characters that don't change as the plot progresses, however I would say that it's definitely worth reading if you like reading. The plot is unpredictable, the characters fleshed out; it explores a variety of themes at a very readable pace. Would recommend it to anyone that asks.

Reactions: Titmar

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
well i'm glad to hear that the plot is unpredictable, that's always a good thing in my opinion.
but yes it's possible to do new things.
consider a stereotypical fantasy novel vs. ASOIAF.
GRRM shatters a lot of fantasy stereotypes in his books. not to get on the dick-riding train or anything here, but it's true.

Also, if you've ever read the Dragonriders of Pern series, that's another series that approaches things differently, fuses sci-fi and fantasy in a masterful way, and also takes on time travel excellently.

Reactions: Pavlos

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Yall can follow me on goodreads if you want. TDF showed me that, it is awesome.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/16602824-nick

I'm reading A Good Man is Hard to Find, Catch-22, and The Purpose Driven Life.

I have recently re-discovered my love for reading. Pumped out a solid 15 books over my Christmas break.

My favourite books are: Ender's Game (AWESOME BOOK, reread at least 5 times), A Clockwork Orange, The Road, and The Life of Pi.

Reactions: Titmar