Book Worms

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Have you read any of the sequals or prequels, like Ender in Exile and Ender's Shadow? I kind of want to get into those, but don't really know where to start.
Start from the beginning, Ender's Game, and I read them in the order of production, but I read the ones that followed certain characters in order. In my opinion, Ender's Game was by far the best, but the others were still pretty good, the latter ones were okay in my opinion. Some of them got quite philosophical.

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
Just about to finish "Leviathan Wakes" great book, reminded me a lot of the Hyperion Cantos which was probably my favorite Science Fiction series ever. It's refreshing to see the style of writing hasn't been lost, since I find most of my favorite Science Fiction stuff comes from ten, twenty or more years ago.

Start from the beginning, Ender's Game, and I read them in the order of production, but I read the ones that followed certain characters in order. In my opinion, Ender's Game was by far the best, but the others were still pretty good, the latter ones were okay in my opinion. Some of them got quite philosophical.

I've heard the author of the series turned out to be a homophobic asshole though, which is odd considering the tone of many of the scenes in "Ender's Game".

Reactions: Titmar

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
Really? That is quite a shame, I do love the books though. He wrote some good novels.

Here's some of his views on homosexuality from wikipedia:

"Orson Scott Card" said:
The dark secret of homosexual society—the one that dares not speak its name—is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape ormolestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally.

I've heard it only manifests itself in later works.

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
Having finished "Leviathan Wakes" (you should all read it by the way) thinking of reading either "Life of Pi" or the "Mars" trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

On the one hand I liked the movie "Life of Pi" but on the other I'm really in the mood for more Sci Fi. Can't decide :/

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Having finished "Leviathan Wakes" (you should all read it by the way) thinking of reading either "Life of Pi" or the "Mars" trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

On the one hand I liked the movie "Life of Pi" but on the other I'm really in the mood for more Sci Fi. Can't decide :/
Life of Pi was amazing.

I just finished the sequel to David Weber's "A Beautiful Friendship" (Named Fire Season). A bit less guns blazing action, but still a great story. he really puts you into the world of Sphinx very quickly.

ABF.jpg
Fire Fire!.jpg

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
Well i'm not too much of a book worm but only because I find it hard to schedule my readings and keep it consistent lol There's so many books I would just love to sit down with and read to no ends but its hard sometimes with school, taking care of my daughter, and work. With that said I have however though started to read The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

tumblr_m71eekiach1rqjxl8o1_400.jpg

Reactions: gmail and Titmar

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Well i'm not too much of a book worm but only because I find it hard to schedule my readings and keep it consistent lol There's so many books I would just love to sit down with and read to no ends but its hard sometimes with school, taking care of my daughter, and work. With that said I have however though started to read The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

I've wanted to read that book for ages, but I haven't had the time to seriously read it.

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
That and I kind of already agree with what I know about his ideals.
Eh, I understand Machiavelli's perspective and where he's coming from, but I dont really agree with some of it :/ Like his basic perspective on the general population; that they're ALL dumb. How ever, he did shed some light though on specific ideals I was very happy to see for the first time. Of course though, none the less, he is a brilliant man and has my respect.

Roche

Qualified
Jan 25, 2013
I'm currently reading the last book in the "Mars" trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, I found it to be an interesting read so far though really very dry at times. I loved many of the descriptions of Mars throughout the series illustrating it's changes throughout the years. I thought the characters were well done and rather interesting I thought the author did quite a good job of giving even the best of them believable flaws. I also liked the authors views on modern society and I found myself agreeing with many of the political views expressed in the series, that's not something I thought I'd ever say about about Science Fiction but there you go.

My main issue with it was that at times it's a bit overly scientific, it's probably just a personal qualm with this type of book in general, but I'm not too big of a fan of several paragraphs describing things in rather dry science talk. I do think it's alright in moderation but I just can't help but switch off from it from time to time which I think makes the reading a less fulfilling experience. Anyways yeah overall I'm not sure I'd recommend it as while it's not as entertaining as many it is quite though provoking and dammit it makes me want to go live on Mars.

try some heinlein or asimov ?

everyone here should read Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.
I've been wanting to have a look into Asimov ever since I read his short story "The Last Question" (which everyone should read because it's awesome) and I think I'm either going to read the "Foundation" series or "Dune" by Frank Herbert once I take a little break from Science Fiction for a while. I haven't heard of Heinlein before but I'll be sure to check out his work when I find myself wanting something to read so thanks for the recommendation.

Anyway yeah all this Science Fiction is great and makes me want to explore the stars; but I think I'm going to read "Life of Pi" next just for a change of pace.

Reactions: Titmar

Indie Anthias

Master
Jan 14, 2013
..."Life of Pi" next just for a change of pace.

def. a good book, worth picking up. I recommend it for anyone.

For my sci-fi kick I picked up Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson, to read when I need a break from the other book I'm reading now, Europe and the People Without History by Eric Wolf. It's supposed to be one of the great books of anthropology.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
Yeah, Roche. Foundation and Dune are must-read for any sci-fi fan.

Neil Stephenson... i read his book called REAMDE. i recommend it as well.
he weaves together this story that takes place both in contemporary settings, and within an MMORPG.
i was skeptical at first but its pretty awesome.

Indie Anthias

Master
Jan 14, 2013
I think I can get into more Neal Stephenson. I read the first part of Quicksilver, the first book of his Baroque Series, really enjoyed it. It was like historical fiction of 17th cent. English scientists, Isaac Newton was one of the main characters. It might sound iffy but it was really interesting and entertaining. I got the second book then realized that what I had read was actually only a section of the first book, been meaning to get the rest of it for too long.

Snow Crash is amusing so far, sounds like Readme is pretty similar... techno/future, but most of the story is in the online world (metaverse, as it is called).