Halo BEST HALO EVER ... 0F All TIME

which halo game was the best halo game

• Total voters

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Apparently I made an RvB reference without even realizing it. The things Caboose has done for my life man I... what were we talking about again?

Anyway, I have a pretty similar experience to what mock said. Halo 1 gets it's nostalgia and it was great at the time but doesn't fully hold up anymore. Similar opinions on 2 and on 3, with 3 being super polished minus a few silly things and somewhat outdated net code and a little clunkiness with player movement. Reach had my favorite campaign, did wonderful things for Forge, had the best customs/ custom community, and a kind of mediocre matchmaking experience from my perspective, but that was still awesome. Reach was my best Halo experience despite some flaws simply because of all the awesome times I had with cool bros.

With Halo 4 a lot has improved but a lot has also regressed for me, with the biggest issue being that I don't trust 343i to get things right with any consistency. The general feel of Halo 4, such as how your character moves and the overall smoothness is great, and besides a few bad weapons in them personal loadouts offer a lot more variety to gameplay. Infinity slayer is a poor way to bring weapons into a map however as it rewards whoever is doing best with more power weapons than the people doing poorly, keeping them down and buffing the winner. A lot of the new Promethain weapons are also just so bad, such as the boltshot, binary rifle, and the incineration cannon. While I enjoy the game more in some respects in others it is very much more annoying. The worst part of it all however is the loss of so much of the community. So many cool people from Reach are just gone, and not many seem to have filled the gaps. My biggest fear for Halo 5 is that this is going to continue, and that I just won't have enough friends left to play with to even run custom games any more.

I give my vote to Reach, with 3 behind that and 4 behind that, with 1 and 2 being awesome games but also rather dated games.

Apparently I made an RvB reference without even realizing it. The things Caboose has done for my life man I... what were we talking about again?

Anyway, I have a pretty similar experience to what mock said. Halo 1 gets it's nostalgia and it was great at the time but doesn't fully hold up anymore. Similar opinions on 2 and on 3, with 3 being super polished minus a few silly things and somewhat outdated net code and a little clunkiness with player movement. Reach had my favorite campaign, did wonderful things for Forge, had the best customs/ custom community, and a kind of mediocre matchmaking experience from my perspective, but that was still awesome. Reach was my best Halo experience despite some flaws simply because of all the awesome times I had with cool bros.

With Halo 4 a lot has improved but a lot has also regressed for me, with the biggest issue being that I don't trust 343i to get things right with any consistency. The general feel of Halo 4, such as how your character moves and the overall smoothness is great, and besides a few bad weapons in them personal loadouts offer a lot more variety to gameplay. Infinity slayer is a poor way to bring weapons into a map however as it rewards whoever is doing best with more power weapons than the people doing poorly, keeping them down and buffing the winner. A lot of the new Promethain weapons are also just so bad, such as the boltshot, binary rifle, and the incineration cannon. While I enjoy the game more in some respects in others it is very much more annoying. The worst part of it all however is the loss of so much of the community. So many cool people from Reach are just gone, and not many seem to have filled the gaps. My biggest fear for Halo 5 is that this is going to continue, and that I just won't have enough friends left to play with to even run custom games any more.

I give my vote to Reach, with 3 behind that and 4 behind that, with 1 and 2 being awesome games but also rather dated games.
Well said, but 343 listens to the community and they did one thing Bungie didnt with Reach, they released a weapon tuning update. But 343 might have a tendency to stick with things the way they are now. Wait and see is the game to be played...

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Anyway, I have a pretty similar experience to what mock said...
You made some very intelligent points that I think more people need to start realizing. While the older Halo games were great for their time, they are quite dated now and lack many elements that they would need to be the best.

Many things have improved with Halo 4, and the only issues the game has that the previous games don't are all balance related- weapon imbalances, personal ordinance, blah blah blah. If people can get over these balance imperfections, then they might see Halo a bit more like the way I do- a well-made game that has improved significantly from its predecessors 343 has slowly been working to improve the balance with updates and playlist changes. 343 is a company to be respected- they work with the community, they haven't made any stupid or greedy acts that enraged the whole community (like Microsoft has allegedly been doing with the xbox one) and anything that the company has ever done to halo was intended to make it a better game or satisfy the community. Even if they prefer Bungie's games, I shouldn't hear as many people directly insulting 343 as a whole as if they've never done anything right.

I'll give you my opinion of Halo 4. To be honest, I think that there are several elements in the game that make the entire concept of Halo feel kinda dated- elements that have been in every game in the series and are now seen as constants in halo games by the community- things that haven't and will not change. As of Halo 4, the game is smooth, the animations are great, and the graphics are very nice, all of which make the game feel more modern. However, there are some aspects of the Halo series, even in Halo 4, that kinda make it feel like something from eight years ago, and as much as we're used to having these elements in Halo, I think that they need to go, especially as we move into the next console generation. These elements include...

-Bullet travel time. Sure the companies have the excuse that guns from 500 years into the future may be able to shoot that fast, but the only reason that Halo ever had hitscan weapons is because, back during the creation of the first Halos, our technology wasn't good enough to effectively program actual flying projectiles for every weapon and incorporate them smoothly into the game. However, Bungie and 343 stuck with the idea, and now we still have several weapons in Halo 4 that fire at the speed of light. This might be OK for just the sniper rifle, as it could end up like that 500 years from now, but they shouldn't have it for so many other guns as well. I hope to see 343 incorporate proper bullet travel time with the next titles.

-Aiming stability. The companies behind Halo can excuse the Spartans' flawless aim by pointing out that they're genetically enhanced super soldier, but this was another concept born in Halo's early days that stuck with the franchise to today, despite the fact that we now have the ability to improve them. In Halo, a spartan snipes by awkwardly juggling back and forth in a tap-dance-like movement to avoid enemy fire, but still manages to retain perfect accuracy and achieve smooth, clean headshots. Many halo players, like Psychoduck, fight each other with BRs while jumping and moving in these same motions, and they are afraid to stand still or entrench themselves behind cover (like an actual soldier would) for fear of getting shot. I think that this could be improved by reducing players' accuracy while they're moving, automatically slow players down when they start shooting, providing a slight accuracy bonus while crouched, and things like that. Hopefully this will be changed in future Halo games.

-Sound effects. In my opinion, Halo's sound effects have never really been all that good at all. There are a few nice sounds, like the rumble of a fuel rod gun's explosion in the distance, but the sounds of Halo don't really blend well- they don't engulf you and make you feel like you're in a battlefield. Many of the sounds are just really crappy, like the sound of the Battle Rifle or the banshee bomb explosion when you hear it from a certain angle. Seriously, just take another look at this video, and pay attention to the sound. If you call this the sound of war, the sound of a battlefield, then you have no idea what a battle would sound like (Battlefield 3 could give you a better idea). But the sound effects, and Halo's audio overall, don't sound remotely realistic and are certainly not up to par with many other modern games. Hopefully 343 will also address this issue as we move into next generation gaming and Halo 5.

Overall, Halo has a bit of catching up to do if it wants to keep up with the other games of today. When you compare Halo with a game like Battlefield 3, sure you are entitled to the opinion that Halo is more fun, and you can point out that Halo offers many things that Battlefield doesn't, like Forge, custom games, theater, etcetera. But from a little bit of time playing both games, you'll quickly realize that battlefield is clearly more advanced and capable. It sets a great example for modern and future games- everything is smooth, the graphics are incredible, the objects have realistic physics and react to forces applied onto them, the maps are huge, and detail has been put into every last corner of every environment, and every last line of code. The sound effects are wonderful and really add a new aspect of depth into the player's experience- every gun (which there are many of) makes its own unique sound, each adding diversity to the sound of the battle. You can hear everything, including background noise (built into the map), the sound of your feet crunching into the gravel as you move, your player breathing, his equipment rustling... and not only are the sounds all there, but they're very well refined and they sound amazing. The game overall is extremely realistic and has reached levels that Halo couldn't dream of achieving if things don't change.

You made some very intelligent points that I think more people need to start realizing. While the older Halo games were great for their time, they are quite dated now and lack many elements that they would need to be the best.

Many things have improved with Halo 4, and the only issues the game has that the previous games don't are all balance related- weapon imbalances, personal ordinance, blah blah blah. If people can get over these balance imperfections, then they might see Halo a bit more like the way I do- a well-made game that has improved significantly from its predecessors 343 has slowly been working to improve the balance with updates and playlist changes. 343 is a company to be respected- they work with the community, they haven't made any stupid or greedy acts that enraged the whole community (like Microsoft has allegedly been doing with the xbox one) and anything that the company has ever done to halo was intended to make it a better game or satisfy the community. Even if they prefer Bungie's games, I shouldn't hear as many people directly insulting 343 as a whole as if they've never done anything right.

I'll give you my opinion of Halo 4. To be honest, I think that there are several elements in the game that make the entire concept of Halo feel kinda dated- elements that have been in every game in the series and are now seen as constants in halo games by the community- things that haven't and will not change. As of Halo 4, the game is smooth, the animations are great, and the graphics are very nice, all of which make the game feel more modern. However, there are some aspects of the Halo series, even in Halo 4, that kinda make it feel like something from eight years ago, and as much as we're used to having these elements in Halo, I think that they need to go, especially as we move into the next console generation. These elements include...

-Bullet travel time. Sure the companies have the excuse that guns from 500 years into the future may be able to shoot that fast, but the only reason that Halo ever had hitscan weapons is because, back during the creation of the first Halos, our technology wasn't good enough to effectively program actual flying projectiles for every weapon and incorporate them smoothly into the game. However, Bungie and 343 stuck with the idea, and now we still have several weapons in Halo 4 that fire at the speed of light. This might be OK for just the sniper rifle, as it could end up like that 500 years from now, but they shouldn't have it for so many other guns as well. I hope to see 343 incorporate proper bullet travel time with the next titles.

-Aiming stability. The companies behind Halo can excuse the Spartans' flawless aim by pointing out that they're genetically enhanced super soldier, but this was another concept born in Halo's early days that stuck with the franchise to today, despite the fact that we now have the ability to improve them. In Halo, a spartan snipes by awkwardly juggling back and forth in a tap-dance-like movement to avoid enemy fire, but still manages to retain perfect accuracy and achieve smooth, clean headshots. Many halo players, like Psychoduck, fight each other with BRs while jumping and moving in these same motions, and they are afraid to stand still or entrench themselves behind cover (like an actual soldier would) for fear of getting shot. I think that this could be improved by reducing players' accuracy while they're moving, automatically slow players down when they start shooting, providing a slight accuracy bonus while crouched, and things like that. Hopefully this will be changed in future Halo games.

-Sound effects. In my opinion, Halo's sound effects have never really been all that good at all. There are a few nice sounds, like the rumble of a fuel rod gun's explosion in the distance, but the sounds of Halo don't really blend well- they don't engulf you and make you feel like you're in a battlefield. Many of the sounds are just really crappy, like the sound of the Battle Rifle or the banshee bomb explosion when you hear it from a certain angle. Seriously, just take another look at this video, and pay attention to the sound. If you call this the sound of war, the sound of a battlefield, then you have no idea what a battle would sound like (Battlefield 3 could give you a better idea). But the sound effects, and Halo's audio overall, don't sound remotely realistic and are certainly not up to par with many other modern games. Hopefully 343 will also address this issue as we move into next generation gaming and Halo 5.

Overall, Halo has a bit of catching up to do if it wants to keep up with the other games of today. When you compare Halo with a game like Battlefield 3, sure you are entitled to the opinion that Halo is more fun, and you can point out that Halo offers many things that Battlefield doesn't, like Forge, custom games, theater, etcetera. But from a little bit of time playing both games, you'll quickly realize that battlefield is clearly more advanced and capable. It sets a great example for modern and future games- everything is smooth, the graphics are incredible, the objects have realistic physics and react to forces applied onto them, the maps are huge, and detail has been put into every last corner of every environment, and every last line of code. The sound effects are wonderful and really add a new aspect of depth into the player's experience- every gun (which there are many of) makes its own unique sound, each adding diversity to the sound of the battle. You can hear everything, including background noise (built into the map), the sound of your feet crunching into the gravel as you move, your player breathing, his equipment rustling... and not only are the sounds all there, but they're very well refined and they sound amazing. The game overall is extremely realistic and has reached levels that Halo couldn't dream of achieving if things don't change.
They could dream of it and they could achieve those levels if they change some things in halo. I mean 343 has to be cut some slack for being new to creating halo games and they have to be forgiven in some aspects because this is their first time creating and putting halo game on the market. I understand what you're saying and i approve and i beleive something's need to pointed out here. 500 years from now you wouldve though spartan armor would be quiet right? Correct. So changing that adds to the backward time travel of now. Background noises are acceptable and would add effect to gameplay. Boots crunching in the gravel would also be a nice effect. But the whole thing about retaining full accuracy with movement depends on the player himself. So halo needs to keep that because it all depends on player skill. Although i can see something else, if movement does effect accuracy the halo will only be a game for pros and some amateurs. So halo needs to change some things but not a lot to keep it "Halo."

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
GrmnEscaltrPrty, changing the accuracy as I had suggested would completely change the style of gameplay- I'm not making these suggestions so that people play the same way, but it would just be harder to do so, I'm making them so that hopefully players will play the game a completely different way- using cover, holding still while firing, and things like that that will make everything more realistic and better resemble real life combat. Some people may feel differently than I, but I don't want to see the constant running and jumping of halo continue into the game's future. It feels like an old Samus game, and resembles one of those arcade games from an even older time when developers couldn't dream of making anything realistic. My version definitely wouldn't feel like your same old traditional Halo, but I feel strongly that the series needs to change, and to take a more realistic approach.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, and I've created a separate thread to discuss this idea. Feel free to post your thoughts in it if you still have more to say.
http://halocustoms.com/threads/is-t...e-know-it-becoming-old-and-out-of-date.13320/

This thread includes a paragraph that brings up another important point.
If Halo doesn't change and start modernizing soon, it will begin to lag further and further behind the other franchises, especially with the progression into next generation consoles. However, there is one thing that people need to realize. If Halo is to evolve, things will need to change. A lot. 343 is under extreme pressure to create a game that will really satisfy the community, but currently, the majority of the community is urging the company to bring the franchise to a more classic style, which means to regress- to move backward. 343 may not modernize Halo because they may be afraid of us- they may fear that with more changes to the game, there will come more rage and disapproval from the community, just as there was- and is- with Halo 4. Instead, Halo 5 may end up feeling more like Halo Reach or halo 3 than a brand new improved game, which is NOT a good thing, especially as the rest of the gaming community continues to move forward in time and technology (people need to understand that while Halo 3 was great for its time, it is beginning to show its age).

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Shockbolt, there are more things to consider than realism when it comes to the things you mentioned. Just because something is realistic does not mean it would be at all fun to play, nor fit Halo's theme. Halo is a sic-fi space shooter using an array of advanced fantastical weaponry and super-suits, expecting everything to be ultra-realistic doesn't make sense.

More importantly though, gameplay would be completely changed from what Halo is. Removing strafing as a legitimate strategy, changing hitscan to bullet lag, making the game into a cover based shooter– this would change the gameplay style so dramatically it could barely be called Halo at that point. Halo gameplay has evolved over the years subtly, completely changing it would (and in some ways has) kill off most of the community. There is only so far you can stray from where Halo started before you are no longer playing a Halo game at all. You might as well just make a new game entirely by the time you have applied the changes you are talking about.

Edit: Duck would suggest that you play Operation Flashpoint or Ghost Recon if you want a play style like this.

Reactions: Psychoduck
Shockbolt, there are more things to consider than realism when it comes to the things you mentioned. Just because something is realistic does not mean it would be at all fun to play, nor fit Halo's theme. Halo is a sic-fi space shooter using an array of advanced fantastical weaponry and super-suits, expecting everything to be ultra-realistic doesn't make sense.

More importantly though, gameplay would be completely changed from what Halo is. Removing strafing as a legitimate strategy, changing hitscan to bullet lag, making the game into a cover based shooter– this would change the gameplay style so dramatically it could barely be called Halo at that point. Halo gameplay has evolved over the years subtly, completely changing it would (and in some ways has) kill off most of the community. There is only so far you can stray from where Halo started before you are no longer playing a Halo game at all. You might as well just make a new game entirely by the time you have applied the changes you are talking about.

Edit: Duck would suggest that you play Operation Flashpoint or Ghost Recon if you want a play style like this.

Or Crysis but thats more campaign themed than multiplayer.