Halo 343i best thing to happen to halo or worst?

Vinceagashi

Qualified
Jan 14, 2013
A lot of people are complaining that halo 4 isn't quite what they wanted. And yes, it had a shorter production time than a usual halo game. And yes it was released as only half a game. But this is the first game 343i has made on their own and with that in mind that did an amazing job. They'll learn from their mistakes and greatly improve in halo 5. Just think of the difference between halo 1 and halo 2. Now use that to imagine how good halo 5 will be.

Reactions: Ghuesaren

Wakko45

Kill-Steal Guru
Dec 30, 2012
I don't think its the best or worst thing to happen to Halo. I think they were given a project which everyone had EXTREMELY high expectations for and made a damn good game. They had to make it a game that they could call their own and not just a complete copy of Bungie's model. Could it have been better? Yeah, probably. But considering this is this company's first huge project together, I'm sure they may have not formed the close bonds and teamwork that larger, established companies have. That being said, they do have a ton of talent over there (Frankie is one example that comes to mind), and I believe now that they have worked on something so big, they will ultimately do even better next time and we can expect to see an amazing game in Halo 5.

Let's also not forget a couple of things. Certain Affinity had a lot to do with the forge and maps; some of the primary complaints I hear. So for the few faults it does have, we can't rest all of the blame on 343. Also with the Title Update that's coming, I'm sure we will see a lot of improvements that we've been waiting for.

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
It's not perfect, but they did well enough. I think in the back of their head they thought "its Halo, it'll be successful." And yes, maybe its a commercial success, but a lot of things got messed up. If they make the same mistakes with Halo 5 I'll judge harshly, but their first game with one of the biggest franchises in video games ever did pretty well IMO. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes.

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
It's neither the best nor the worst, as Wakko said, but as Wakko didn't say, it was pretty close to worst.

There are so many things in the game that were deliberately removed or altered in the game code for Halo 4. Why break the working monitors in Forge? Why remove non-ordnance powerups? Why remove nudge and zoom (this one is big, especially when you realized someone in 343 made a conscious decision to remove them)? Why put boltshots, plasma pistols, and plasma nades as starting loadout options? Why create a broken spawn system? Why move the coordinate snap locations of many forge pieces by .1 in one axis? Why taper forge pieces? Why killzone 10 units above the water on Ravine? So many whys...

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
It's neither the best nor the worst, as Wakko said, but as Wakko didn't say, it was pretty close to worst.

There are so many things in the game that were deliberately removed or altered in the game code for Halo 4. Why break the working monitors in Forge? Why remove non-ordnance powerups? Why remove nudge and zoom (this one is big, especially when you realized someone in 343 made a conscious decision to remove them)? Why put boltshots, plasma pistols, and plasma nades as starting loadout options? Why create a broken spawn system? Why move the coordinate snap locations of many forge pieces by .1 in one axis? Why taper forge pieces? Why killzone 10 units above the water on Ravine? So many whys...
? Ordance keeps the game moving, not going out of zoom when your shot is the best thing to happen to Halo, any of a average skill level with Halo Exp could avoid a plasmabolt, boltshot, and (although hard) a sticky nade, the spawn system is beautiful I just wish it would be 3 sec instead of 5 in CTF, haven't noticed the snap yet, forge pieces look much better now, I agree that kill zone on ravine is nothing but an annoyance.

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
I think you might have missed part of what I said. I was talking about zoom in Forge :p and I also was criticizing the removal of non-ordnance power weapons rather than ordnance itself. Although both are problematic in this game.

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
personally i think they did a great job considering that this was their first, my only complaint is that they removed stuff that people really like and have yet to explain most of it (the main exception being forge world) also they failed to give us access to some really awesome forge pieces that based on the campaign really should have been there (promethean and covenant pallets ) as well as the previously mentioned nudge and zoom being removed and the lack of any good water or beach locations really annoys me. mostly what they did wrong is they didn't attempt to ask the community what they wanted in forge, a feature that is solely community driven (yes they did go to certain affinity but that really is not what they needed)
finally they also made the impact specific pieces a little too cool in comparison to the other maps, the station pieces look super cool but who the hell care about pipes and special bridges. this leads to the majority of maps (and i mean the VAST majority) being forged on impact. i think some cooler map specific pieces for erosion and ravine would have been more ideal. anyways this will conclude my little rant

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
They also forgot to finish putting objective gametypes into the game. No Bomb or 1 Flag? Joke.

They also forgot to not turn into cod. They made the game full of bells and glitter. I don't care how many armor options there are. I want game play, competitive feeling, hard to play , and gametypes that required an assload of skill. I miss halo 2/3 objective days at 45+ games were so insane and awesome. 99.9% of halo population could never play halo 2/3 at that level and I loved it. Now I feel like the entire games a social fest full of garbage and the occasional group of good players.

I like to call this sociast halo. "EVERYONE" gets a medal and points. This is why I miss halo 2 you had to WORK and win your rank not just play shitpile of games now it Ooo look I lost 95% of my games but I have the highest rank that must mean I'm good.....

I saw 343I update with ranks coming in April. I don't see myself putting halo 4 in till then.

Long live halo 2

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
They also forgot to not turn into cod. They made the game full of bells and glitter. I don't care how many armor options there are. I want game play, competitive feeling, hard to play , and gametypes that required an assload of skill. I miss halo 2/3 objective days at 45+ games were so insane and awesome. 99.9% of halo population could never play halo 2/3 at that level and I loved it. Now I feel like the entire games a social fest full of garbage and the occasional group of good players.

I like to call this sociast halo. "EVERYONE" gets a medal and points. This is why I miss halo 2 you had to WORK and win your rank not just play shitpile of games now it Ooo look I lost 95% of my games but I have the highest rank that must mean I'm good.....

I saw 343I update with ranks coming in April. I don't see myself putting halo 4 in till then.

Long live halo 2
You like everything I don't about Halo and you've probably never played COD.

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
You like everything I don't about Halo and you've probably never played COD.

I played a tiny bit of COD MW (the 1st one before it got overblown) was to easy of a game and had no skill level. I found myself putting my halo 3 disk in 1 hr after I put cod in.

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
Then you should know H4 is nothing like COD.
Lets see:
Loadouts - check
Game becoming easier and easier to play - check
So many armor perms that in reality do nothing for gameplay - check (I feel more time was spent making armor than a game with halo reach /4)
Competitive level - decreasing
Ranks - None its just play and win or lose u get a pile of points. (rubber band a controller much)

* I think you will find any LONG term halo 1/2 players that played Halo in the glory days and played at a high level and like competition to repeat the same stuff I have. My entire friends list used to say Halo 2/3 now the people who are monsters at halo 2/3 don't even sign in to xbox.