Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
MLNPhYZ.png
rxdTBDn.png

2PblIpQ.png

0xTasbb.png

TLWA is a short, 2-stage linear flood map for 10-12 peeps. I learned a little about designing linear flood maps after Botany, so I wanted to try something new out. The story behind her is that a group of humans, several hospital patients and one medic, have locked themselves inside of the urgent care center to survive the flood outbreak. Just as they're about to run out of the necessities, they are alerted that an evacuation plane will make a short landing on the roof. HOWEVER [queue suspence], the indoor route to the roof has been destroyed, so they're forced to take the long way around, which requires them to move outside the hospital for a short time. Luckily, there just so happens to be a tank parked right outside.

The medic mentioned before has a pretty important role. The flood in this game type are required to hit the humans three times before killing them. To counter this, the humans regain their shields veeeery slowly... unless they're helped by the medic dude. The medic, chosen randomly each round, can heal other players somewhat quickly by standing near them with their Plasma Pistol [we'll say that's the defibrillator] in hand. They also have an OS appearance, though, so the flood should be able to pick them out of the crowd.

The Tank is similar to the medic, but instead of healing shields, it makes the humans' weapons slightly stronger. There's veeery little ammunition throughout the map, so if the humans try to make the run without the tank, they are very likely to run out of ammo.

The lengthy connection between the first and second phases is somewhat tight, so although the tank is incredibly powerful, the flood can overrun it (if they don't attack head on) with numbers and the two damage boosts available to them at some point. The flood are also invisible just up until they leave their entrances.

Last edited:

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Wow, looks stunning... How did you get the awesome effect? It looks so... green. :y:

Btw, I wouldn´t put great barriers in a dark place. They don´t look good since they aren´t lightened at all.

Third: Cool idea with the "medic" and the "tank". Sounds exciting!

Reactions: Auburn

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Damn it. You beat me to the idea of making a linear Flood map with a tank. Oh well, that's what procrastination gets me. Anyway, she map looks pretty and I'm interested how the medic thing works. How does it work exactly? Is it the gametype?
Yesm, you can use the attach parent / child function in plague to place a trait zone over any object. In this case, there's a trait zone attached to both the plasma pistol and a regeneration field (spawns just above an initial spawn). The field TZ enables the OS appearance and weapon pickups while the Pistol TZ is what enables the healing. There's another, separate trait zone around the Pistol that prevents weapon pickups, thus nobody but the medic can actually pick the thing up.

Btw @@Auburn , please delete the barriers. I mean, if you look at the picture, do you *really* it looks good? Maybe replace them with blocks, 1 by 1, short.
I feel ya, mang. It does look goofy :p The barrier don't have any extraneous purpose, so I may delete them or replace them with blocks like you suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Yesm, you can use the attach parent / child function in plague to place a trait zone over any object.

I've also been working on a map like that, though not with a tank. I knew I couldn't be the only one to figure it out. :p

In this case, there's a trait zone attached to both the plasma pistol and a regeneration field (spawns just above an initial spawn). The field TZ enables the OS appearance and weapon pickups while the Pistol TZ is what enables the healing. There's another, separate trait zone around the Pistol that prevents weapon pickups, thus nobody but the medic can actually pick the thing up.

But how'd you do these??

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Nah, I had my hopes crushed when I figured out you couldn't prevent weapon pickups with the Trait Zone. There's a trait zone around the plasma pistol that enables OS and the medic traits, so whoever picks it up is the medic now :( I was thinking I could use that same trait zone, but instead attach it a regeneration field that spawns right above one of the initial spawns. That way, the selection is still random. Not sure how much I like that idea, though.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
As requested, I was able to play the map in my lobby. Dude, I already like this one better than Botany. Mostly because of the tank. It's very unique and I think you were able to implement it very well into the map.

-0mi said your ceiling looked ugly. I don't think it's a problem, but hey. :p
-Try making it a two hit kill for the Flood. Just to see what it's like. I was a Flood for the first phase at some point and I felt like it was just a tad bit too hard. The routes from the spawn were great but I couldn't really connect 3 hits with everyone else wailing down bullets on me.
-Just a question but, why is the Scorpion a hill? What does it give players when they stand in it?
-I wasn't able to get to the end of the map nor did I even see what it looked like so take this with a grain of salt. But perhaps the Flood's last teleporter should take them closer to the end. I remember walking a while before getting there as a Flood.

To help you out a little more, I was able to save the film. Here ya go!
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/0d61a01e-8a53-4d54-b990-7b68e1a85676

I hope you update the map soon man! It has a lot of potential and I look forward to playing it again.

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
As requested, I was able to play the map in my lobby. Dude, I already like this one better than Botany. Mostly because of the tank. It's very unique and I think you were able to implement it very well into the map.

-0mi said your ceiling looked ugly. I don't think it's a problem, but hey. :p
-Try making it a two hit kill for the Flood. Just to see what it's like. I was a Flood for the first phase at some point and I felt like it was just a tad bit too hard. The routes from the spawn were great but I couldn't really connect 3 hits with everyone else wailing down bullets on me.
-Just a question but, why is the Scorpion a hill? What does it give players when they stand in it?
-I wasn't able to get to the end of the map nor did I even see what it looked like so take this with a grain of salt. But perhaps the Flood's last teleporter should take them closer to the end. I remember walking a while before getting there as a Flood.

To help you out a little more, I was able to save the film. Here ya go!
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/0d61a01e-8a53-4d54-b990-7b68e1a85676

I hope you update the map soon man! It has a lot of potential and I look forward to playing it again.

Awesome. Thanks again, Zan. I meant for the gametype to allow for 2-hit kills, but the humans' damage resistance was set to 150% by accident. The hill around the tank was actually supposed to give them that boost, but seeing as how it was already enabled, it did nothing :p Watching the film, though, I think I'll replace the damage resistance trait around the tank with a 10m radar trait and lessen the amount of damage boosts, too.

The last teleporter is right above the final holdout, but its possible that the sender node just didn't spawn in.

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Mkay, updated this one recently as well. Based on the game I played with Rem last week, I think its safe to say that both the balance and difficulty curve are off. The flood are somewhat bad off during the first holdout, but they absolutely wreck throughout the tank run. As such, I changed to map ad gametype up a little. The flood move slightly slower now and the humans do slightly more damage, so I think that should put a little more pressure on the flood and encourage them to be tactical.

FIRST PHASE
- holdout is slightly smaller
- replaced the turret with another shotgun
- flood entrances are more diverse and versatile
• there are four available approaches at several different heights now
• railings are laid out better

TANK RUN
- Weapons crate is near the tank spawn now
- tank gives 25m instead of 10m
- teleporters are based on terminals now instead of timers, so the flood won't spawn way ahead if the tank lags behind a little.
- removed damage boost
- added two speed boosts instead

SECOND PHASE
- takes place outside the building now
- flood entrances are more diverse and versatile (again)

Anywho, should be the last time I update this before posting the map. I'm starting to get a little burned out with flood lol.

MAP: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/not auburn/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=53eb4c1e-d277-42e0-8a81-ba354f7350c8

GAMETYPE: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/not auburn/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameSettings&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=4194c4a7-5b3c-4046-980d-512b7dcff9e9

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
I would, but work has been boggin' me down lately. I'll be there during both of those lobbies :( I know it wasn't part of your original roster, so no pressure on playing it.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I was able to play the map in my lobby again. Here's the film.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/b6bb7ed7-72e1-4cfd-8b0a-27f0f1efb0fd

Some problems I noticed is that the humans barely got halfway through the tank bit. I'm not sure if we were just doing bad or if the map was too difficult. Also, the map may be breakable. At some point in the film, you'll see some guys trying to break the map by jumping on someone's head. I'd look into that.

Lastly, the Flood teleporters don't work sometimes. The teleporter beam shows but it doesn't actually work. Gets confusing. I suggest watching the film. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

eyRGc5m.png

Last edited:

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
I was able to play the map in my lobby again. Here's the film.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details/b6bb7ed7-72e1-4cfd-8b0a-27f0f1efb0fd

Some problems I noticed is that the humans barely got halfway through the tank bit. I'm not sure if we were just doing bad or if the map was too difficult. Also, the map may be breakable. At some point in the film, you'll see some guys trying to break the map by jumping on someone's head. I'd look into that.

Lastly, the Flood teleporters don't work sometimes. The teleporter beam shows but it doesn't actually work. Gets confusing. I suggest watching the film. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

eyRGc5m.png
Wasn't too popular with the crowd, huh? Thanks again, Zandril. I think I can make your next testing lobby, so I'll actually be there for a game on my own map lol.

There are only two holdouts, so I want that connection between them to be a difficult one. That first round, it looked like the driver took 15 seconds to actually start moving through the route and when he finally did start getting somewhere, he turned around lol. The second round, there were already 5-6 before they even reached the tank, so I kinda expect them to lose at that point. Hopefully I'm not sounding overly defensive, but I want to make sure there's a steady trend with that before I make the change.

I noticed them trying to break the map, too. There's a 200% gravity trait zone just above where they were jumping, so its not possible. It looks like somebody was able to get out of the map that first round, though. I think because he was run over by the tank (lol) and thus betrayed, he was able to respawn as a human. Since there aren't any human respawn points, he spawned outside the map it seems.

Another thing I noticed was Exhibitz wrecking with the SAW lol. I'll open up another route for the flood just above that weapon depot in case somebody tries to chill back there again.

I'll do something with the teleporters, too (y) Thanks again.

Reactions: Zandril

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Since there aren't any human respawn points, he spawned outside the map it seems.
You should ALWAYS have respawn points and safe barriers for all parties. If you fail to do this, trouble arrives as we can see with Repository in MM. Just a tip, but a very important one. Too many people do this wrong.

Reactions: Zandril and Auburn