The Guide To Forge Island

Feb 16, 2013
My plan for this thread is to create a place where forgers can find all the information they need to know about about Forge Island. I will start off with a couple things I know. Please contribute with anything you know to expand this guide and give more detail to technical limitations to Forge Island.

Island Details

• General
    • Vertical Limit: Just over 330 units (approx. 1 mile above water)
    • The lowest you can place a flat object without touching the Kill Boundary seems to be at [-70.3]. However, crouching at this altitude will kill you depending on the object placed. It seems that, based on the few peices that I tested, [-70.2] is the safest altitude to fully submerge any flat peice.
  • Large Island
    • Center of surface: approx. (245,46)
    • Radius: 45 units
    • Area: 6200 square units (Vortex and Ragnarok are 4800 square units)
    • Ratio of Area to Proximity Influence: 22
  • Medium Island
    • Center of surface: approx. (318,-101)
    • Radius: 30 units
    • Area: 2700 square units (Same as Exile and Complex)
    • Ratio of Area to Proximity Influence: 10
  • Small Island
    • Center of surface: approx. (243,-234.5)
    • Radius: 12.5 units
    • Area: 500 square units (Half of Haven)
    • Ratio of Area to Proximity Influence: 2
Note: All these details are approximate. This is because the islands are not perfectly round nor flat.

Aesthetic Tips

• Forging with Trees
    • Bushes
      • Turn trees to their side and phase them through the ground so only the branches are visible.
      • Tree 2 is a great tree for this purpose becuase it covers the widest area. However, you may have to use an extra tree facing the opposite direction to avoid making the bush look lopsided.
      • Tree 3 does not require an extra tree to look even and it looks great because of its unique color and crown shape, but it has an incredibly long trunk compared to its short crown. It is also difficult to forge with because it pushes the camera around when you try to rotate it.
    • Forests
      • DO NOT make a forest by adding 200 Tree. This causes a great amount of lag when you see all those trees on your screen.
      • INSTEAD use a combination Rocks and "Bushes" to block sight-lines and give the illusion of a crowded forest. All these sight-blockers allow the use less trees, giving players a lot less lag.

Glitches

• Get inside the islands
    • You can get "in" the islands by placing teleporters inside them and teleporting to the inside. This also works on various small rocks around the island.
  • Get fully underwater
    • You can glitch your way underwater by creating a respawn point and taking it with you to the dark water. You go down with it as low as you can go until you die. When you respawn, you will be underwater. Here is a video by THFE that explains this a lot better.

Resources

The following are modded maps that will bypass certain item limits (i.e. a map with 512 trees).

I hope this helps, and again, please add what you know so I can update this thread.

A special thanks to these forgers for contributing: mrgreenwithagun, Rev Righteous, Fuzzle

Jan 29, 2013
When you say the center of the island, I believe you mean the center of the surface??

Large island radius = 45 units, surface area 6200SU (square units), larger than Vortex and Ragnarok, both at 4800SU.
Medium island radius = 30 units, surface area 2700SU, same as Exile and Complex
Small island radius = 12.5 units, surface area under 500SU, half the size of Haven.

Proximity Enemy Influencer Primary Radii of the Forge Island canvas is 9.5U, the same as the other three forge canvases. This means that the ratio of island surface area to PE Primary are:

Large Island = 22
Medium Island = 10
Small Island = 2

Skybox for the canvas stretches to just over +330 units, or about one mile above the water. The lateral dimensions of the skybox are so wide that the existence of their borders becomes irrelevant.

Reactions: Titmar

Rev Righteous

Proficient
I've found that if you take a 1x1 flat or any other flat basic block, you can lower it to Z coordinate -70.3 underwater. That is the lowest It can go before crouching on it in the water will cause you to hit the kill barrier.

Also, I've discovered that the center island is not circular, but slightly oval, with the longer sides towards the other two islands and the poles of the ellipse on the north and south end of the island. Also, the island has a slight slope to the land, such that an object placed at ground height on the east side (sun-ward side) if it was moved to the west end at the same z coordinate it would be roughly .5 units off the ground in some spots.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Wow.

I didnt even know forgers knew this kinda stuff...
Huh.

Thinking of putting out guides for the other 3?

Feb 16, 2013
Btw, can anyone tell me how to add spoiler tabs? I was thinking of putting the info in spoiler tabs rather than quotes to keep the guide cleaner.

Feb 16, 2013
by the way, how did you do these boxes? xD
Those are just quotes without source information. You can just highlight something and click on the quotation mark symbol to the far right.
3007amh.jpg

Reactions: Fuzzle