Map Preview Refinery

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
9515320269_9f327f18c5_z.jpg
Refinery is a Hivemind Flood map set amongst the cooling towers and pillars of a discontinued oil refinery. The challenge with the map so far has being defining holdouts because of restrictions from the theme. A building is very obviously a holdout locations that is easy to regulate the pros and cons of. However with this map, I have to work with platforms amongst large pillars and suspended walk ways. At the moment, only two holdouts see most of the action because of their clear hight advantage. I will be working to balance out the lower level holdouts, so more of the map is used for more varied gameplay and to ease the power through population of the other two.​
9515319741_c5d95fbd24_z.jpg
9515318731_ace82432c4_z.jpg
9518108168_5d8987c0c8_z.jpg
One of the two favoured holdouts. The location is very powerful because the Flood can only approach from the left side. I will be adding an access point at the right side for the Flood to ease its power.​
9518107664_70c984e385_z.jpg
9518107308_bf24217bb3_z.jpg
I hoped players to choose to use this location, but players simply pass through it on their way to the holdout in the next image. I may add more walls to this area to make it more secluded and favourable.​
9518106900_bcae777ab8_z.jpg
This is the second favoured holdout. It has a clear height advantage over the area it overlooks. This, paired with its long sight lines make it very powerful. The Flood need a chance to flank the survivors holding out here, which isn't possible at the moment.​
9515316093_ea2d0f3174_z.jpg
Feel free to leave your thoughts on Refinery, especially if you have assisted in the testing of it so far. I will be updating this thread with images of the changes I make in the future.​

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
9518107308_bf24217bb3_z.jpg
I hoped players to choose to use this location, but players simply pass through it on their way to the holdout in the next image. I may add more walls to this area to make it more secluded and favourable.​

I think the problem with this area is not so much the lack of walls, as I personally felt it's more due to the cramped feel you get because of that 2x2 pillar in the middle (with the pallet right next to it). It blocks your sightlines big time, and - and that's what turned out to be the main reason for me to not stick around at this place - therefore forces you to hop and sit on either of the horizontal surfaces such as the railings without having the ability to move around a bit, simply because there are no walking areas other than those railings. People prefer to hold out in areas where they can move around and keep things under control over having to act like a parrot: sitting seemingly safe up on a stick, yet figuratively caged in because of the lack of movement options.

I don't know about others, but when I stop and think about it for a second, this is probably why I chose not to stay there for too long after I grabbed the SAW - which was ingeniously placed by the way.

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
Thanks Rem! I'll try some other things with this area using your advice. Yeah, I love where the Saw is too. It is definitely the most powerful weapon in Hivemind, so I wanted it to have a spot that is tricky to get too.