Gaming Pokemon Discussion Thread

What's your favourite Generation?

• Total voters

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
I honestly don't have a 3DS and I'm not happy about the 3D models(even B/W's graphics changes pissed me off alot). I'm probably just going to have to read about the Fairy or listen to you guys until the 3DS is extremely cheap and I'm extremely bored. Also it felt like there weren't that many dragon type, it may just be that I pick pokemon strictly on appearance and didn't like many of them, anyway if they atleast half-ass the fairy then bring them on... this was quarter-assed:

514Simisear.png

And its not just that they sucked, its also that they were the only thing in the mew-forsaken region.

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
Wy do 3D models piss you off? I would think that moving toward a Pokemon Stadium style of battling would be exciting for all!

I like it in 2D, its always been that way for hand-helds and if theres an option to change it back I'm ok but white didn't have one or a way to change the text boxes. When a pokemon just jumps in the air scratches and it looks at the opponent who gets pulled back a little its kinda boring you know, compared to it being left to the imagination.

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
When a pokemon just jumps in the air scratches and it looks at the opponent who gets pulled back a little its kinda boring you know, compared to it being left to the imagination.
Ha, are you joking me? The 2-D attacks mostly consist of the attacking pokemon's image thrusting forward, a simple animation, and the other pokemon blinking as it takes damage. Why would you not want to see more realistic combat?

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
Ha, are you joking me? The 2-D attacks mostly consist of the attacking pokemon's image thrusting forward, a simple animation, and the other pokemon blinking as it takes damage. Why would you not want to see more realistic combat?

Maybe its just that I've played since Red and grew up with it, that it seems wrong for them to change it. Like if the new Gears of War was different rather than each game purposely looking the same.

Jorriley

Expert
Mar 30, 2013
I have to agree with freedom cobra I also started out on 1st gen and I love the simple 2d animations cause it is left up to us to imagine what it would look like I stopped liking pokemon after gen 3 but I did play a little of gen 4

VaultingFrog

Adept
May 2, 2013
Walmart
Nothing beyond Red, Blue and Yellow are legit Pokémon games to me. Sure they added in some awesome new Pokémon and new moves but the story is virtually the same every time.

More over they watered down "Legendary Pokémon" with so much garbage they can hardly be called legendary anymore. I mean seriously there were the 3 elemental birds, Mew and Mewtwo in Red, Blue and Yellow. That was it. End of story. They are legendary because they are so rare as to be unheard of. So powerful that they melt the inferior eyes of the unworthy if such a person manages to see them. That made them legendary, now though they might as well be common Pokémon because of how many there are.

Reactions: FREEDOM COBRA

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Nothing beyond Red, Blue and Yellow are legit Pokémon games to me. Sure they added in some awesome new Pokémon and new moves but the story is virtually the same every time.

More over they watered down "Legendary Pokémon" with so much garbage they can hardly be called legendary anymore. I mean seriously there were the 3 elemental birds, Mew and Mewtwo in Red, Blue and Yellow. That was it. End of story. They are legendary because they are so rare as to be unheard of. So powerful that they melt the inferior eyes of the unworthy if such a person manages to see them. That made them legendary, now though they might as well be common Pokémon because of how many there are.

To get to the birds you had to explore a few caves, for Mewtwo you had to do a bit more, but not much. They were unique to an individual player, but not to players as a whole, as most everyone found and caught them, and they were certainly not overpowered in any way besides Mewtwo. Compare this to the Regi-trio in the third gen, where you had to find a very out of the way underwater cave, translate a series of messages from braille while trying to learn braille, then complete a long sequence of events just to unlock them, after which point they could be sent to the next set of games to unlock a final one, and you have some seriously well hidden Pokemon. It was hard to find these guys without help, really hard. Discounting Gen 5, I'd say legendaries have become both more powerful and often more difficult to get. And they can't just not add more, that would break a fundamental part of the game. I'd agree that they add too many each time (except with X and Y so far, just 3 new ones) but I wouldn't say that makes them any less worthwhile.

The story of the original games was also very light and only served to set the stage and act as a backdrop to the gameplay. The others have evolved some while staying to the same structure, but Pokemon isn't a heavily story driven game, it's about what you bring to it.