My Thoughts. Obstacles.

wizton

Master
Sep 17, 2013
England
www.youtube.com
Warning: This is quite the essay, I had a lot of time and am personally really interested in the subject.

#FirstThread

But Yeah, this isn't all that interesting. Just me going over some stuff to do with Mongooses.
I'm probably coming back to this with more info later, but I just wanted to blurt this out :)

Hey guys, that bellend wiz here

After spending some serious time creating Island II, I thought it would be interesting to share my opinion on the whole idea of these types of obstacle courses, you probably don't give two shits. I'll be talking about how they work, different types of obstacles, the limits, opportunities and some seriously in depth analysis.

So, first off, I'm going to go over the main thing. The Obstacles themselves.

Standard jump maps are more popular and more common, that is a fact, and the main reason for this is the crazy variety of things one can make, your mind is literally the limit with jump maps. However, the biggest limitation of Mongoose Obstacle Courses are their limit to obstacles types. For example, the only things that can be built as an obstacle for mongooses are:

• Slanted/Angled Platforms that are close or beyond the vehicles's functional level of grip
  • Thin or uneven Bridges that require perfect centring of the vehicle while driving along it or can throw the player off.
  • Jumps that are close to the maximum length achievable by the ramp. Or a landing platform that is too thin to be landed on easily.

That's a general list, any obstacle you think of could probably be put into one of those categories.

Then, think of the crazy amount of shizzer that can be achieved without a mongoose, I won't even begin to bother listing... dangit...

• Precision Jumps
  • Distance Jumps
  • Wall Jumps
  • Turret Jumps
  • Sliding Jumps
  • The Jumps Themselves

That's just half a dozen of them, if we go intro The Jumps Themselves we see this:

• A Standard jump
  • A Crouch Jump
  • A Spring Jump
  • A Grenade Jump
  • A Grenade Spring Jump
  • A Grenade Crouch Jump
  • A Sprint Jump
  • A Crouch Sprint Jump
  • A Turret Jump
  • A Turret Crouch Jump
  • An Angle Jump
  • A Sprint Angle Jump
  • A Short Hop
  • Some more...

I mean, the variety is unbelievable. We haven't even looked at Standard Foot Obstacle Courses.

Just try making a list that long from one of the categories I listed for mongoose obstacle types.

Mongoose Obstacles work a lot on the Pitch, Yaw, Roll, Speed and Handling of the vehicle, while Jump Maps, obviously work on the height and precision achievable by the player, so I can't really compare the two, they require different skills and test different aspects of the Halo Physics...

... I'm just showing you how Hard it is to make an original and interesting Mongoose Obstacle Course. I presume one of the obstacles I have used in Island II has been already used by another forger.

How They Work
I went into a little detail above on how the mongoose obstacles work, but I wanna look into this a bit more.

As stated, the Mongoose Obstacle course will work on the: Pitch, Yaw, Roll, Speed, Size and Handling of the vehicle. Pitch and Yaw and what not are things like the Angled Platforms, pushing the vehicle beyond it's functional level of grip. Speed is to do with the Jumps, Handling and Size are all about the thin platforms n stuff.

See, it all makes sense now...

As I went about creating my Island II, I became more and more aware of these distinct categories, and how there is no other unique things to do with a Mongoose. It all sounds a bit dry and sad, Mongoose Maps being really hard and unoriginal and all... but I actually loved the idea of this challenge, to create a new type of obstacle.

I did not succeed.

But anyway, how they work. Yes. Due to the limitations of movement in a vehicle to on foot, every obstacle you make on a map will most likely turn out in death if failed, unless your fancy and have some Teleporters rigged up, many Jump Maps can provide platforms for the player to land on if they fail, or again teleporters are easy.

Combining how you can test a players driving skills and how they will die will give you an idea on how Mongoose Obstacles are put together.

It's similar to any other obstacle, just how it gets you to fall off in the first place is different...

The Opportunities!

:)

There is an entirely new aspect to obstacles achievable with the simple addition of a mongoose. Speeeed, Air Timeeeee and Jumpzzzz.

Thrilling, isn't it...

But seriously, 9 in 10 obstacle courses probably have something that involves a mongoose somewhere in it, whether it is going through a wall or something actually interesting is up to the creator.

Although the amount of things you can do with a mongoose is limited, the pool of obstacles to choose from is interesting and big. And if you're good enough, obstacles can appear different to their purpose, and look original, Mongoose Obstacles are amazing in any type of map that aims to be a pain towards the player. They allow us to achieve puzzles and tricks that have been a classic part of these obstacle maps since the birth of forge in Halo 3.

A good obstacle course will include a good variety, and the mongoose has helped increase that variety, it shouldn't be seen as a boring obstacle in my eyes, the things you can do to piss people off with them may be limited but are amazing! :D

After making this map I've become so interested in the physics of obstacle courses it is almost sad.

It's opened my eyes to the serious depth an obstacle course creator can go into to make original and awesome maps. Every block has a possibility, I turned the supporting arm of a Walkway Long into the landing platform of a jump, as I have said so many times the types are limited but the pool of ways to make a mongoose obstacle, is big.

wiz

Last edited:
Reactions: evergreen948