Halo meele combat detail

Parker Melnyk

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
a galaxy far far away
Being the only FPS that meele is a viable attack i wish halo had more than just punching and assassination. Maybe the ability to use human shields, tackling, or something as simple as blocking a punch so it doesn't hurt you as much. Now,these would all be timing and reaction speed based because if it was too easy to block then no one would punch. This might be be a dream of mine because it would be great for my play style. What do you think?

Reactions: NinetysBorn

Vinceagashi

Qualified
Jan 14, 2013
Well there is a tackle animation in the assassinations. And about the punch blocking, there was this one time I swear we punched eachother at the same time and he blocked it. I saw his arm come up and block my punch and he didn't spark so his shields weren't depleted by it. So definately uncomfirmed by anyone but there may actually be punch blocking in halo 4. Kind of like how when you attack someone with a sword who also has a sword you clash your swords together. Also, Halo is melee focused enough already. With punching, assassinations, the energy sword, and the gravity hammer.

Ariel Morgan

Adept
Dec 27, 2012
Oak Park, MI
I would be fine with a system similar to the sword system in H3 (being able to clash) with general weapons.

I think the key difference would be that the melees continue to do SOME damage in order for little skirmishes to actually finish (instead of go on, and on, and on...).

Basically, make it so you can block melee with your own melee to take reduced damage. I think this makes sense in the context of the game, as big cyborgs bash each other in the face over and over, rather than hitting each other at the same time and FLYING BACK in opposite directions.

I know it's cute and all, but it just doesn't make that much sense IMO. I think it would make more sense with a little "boxing" if that's what you want to call it.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
I think they're trying to encourage longer ranged gameplay rather than short range -- melee does so much damage because once you're that close, they want you/both of you dead as quickly as possible to move onto the longer range combat.

Any timing mechanism is unlikely to work properly due to latency of both players (see Halo 3 before the melee patch, person with the slower connection always won)

Reactions: Ariel Morgan

Ariel Morgan

Adept
Dec 27, 2012
Oak Park, MI
Always the technical issues.

I do have to agree though that the combat has certainly moved towards long range in this game, but I feel that's all caused by the maps (which were clearly designed for such gameplay). Which has limited the Melee gameplay a lot.

Randomness isn't always fun, especially when it comes to melee. I guess we will have to keep the flying opposite directions melee deaths forever...

Parker Melnyk

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
a galaxy far far away
Always the technical issues.

I do have to agree though that the combat has certainly moved towards long range in this game, but I feel that's all caused by the maps (which were clearly designed for such gameplay). Which has limited the Melee gameplay a lot.

Randomness isn't always fun, especially when it comes to melee. I guess we will have to keep the flying opposite directions melee deaths forever...
I agree that halo 4 is very long-range based but i never said anything about randomness i wanted reaction speed to change whether or not you dodge.

Ariel Morgan

Adept
Dec 27, 2012
Oak Park, MI
I agree that halo 4 is very long-range based but i never said anything about randomness i wanted reaction speed to change whether or not you dodge.
The randomness was regarding Insane54's post.

Regarding Melee, you can dodge melee with ducking (in the right situation of course). I did it yesterday with a scattershot, blasted that guy in the crotch while I had no shields, it was satisfying to say the least.

Insane54 is right though, any system where you have people clashing will slow the pace of the game and take away from the mid/long range combat that is being perpetuated. I would have liked some sort of system that allows for "Clashing" or "Boxing" but then it's a mess (for the reasons stated above). Having any other system than the current would potentially have people running into this problem:
Insane54 said:
Any timing mechanism is unlikely to work properly due to latency of both players (see Halo 3 before the melee patch, person with the slower connection always won)

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
What you could do about the "melee blocking" is have it so that when someone melees you and you melee them back about the exact same time, both players go into a small animation. A specific button will come across the screen and whoever mashes that button the fastest kills the other player. It would be a different button every time too to keep it more "alive". This would all of course happen in a matter of seconds and would RARELY happen. Implementing this into the game or any "melee blocking" I doubt would make any impact on the game though.... If anything just a negative one. With that said though, it would be cool to be on the brink of death and a killing frenzy when an enemy comes out of nowhere trying to get that quick kill. You get lucky and push B just as he does, you smash it out in an epic 8 second animation lol, and you emerge victorious with your killing frenzy medal intact

Reactions: gmail

MockKnizzle

Get Mockfucked
Dec 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
Dude, the Hardlight Shield is exactly what you're talking about. If you time it right you can completely negate your opponent's melee, leaving them vulnerable to a counter-punch. It takes some skill to figure out how to aim it and when it's gonna work, but I do it all the time so it's definitely possible.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Halo+logic.+100+oc....+made+it+with+easy+memes+try_3d1204_4214520.jpg

Yeah, I think if anything melee needs to stay the same or be reduced in effectiveness.

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
This would most likely not work due to lag between players, unless there were dedicated servers and the ping is maxed out at the lowest peron's, for everybody.

Sounds like a good idea though.