Majestic Map Pack Impressions

hc-coolstuff.jpg

At this very moment, thousands of Spartans are littering new battlegrounds with their blood and stinking corpses. Gross? Well... yeah, but the key words in that sentence were new battlegrounds. That's right, today marks the release of the Halo 4 Majestic Map Pack, the game's second DLC pack. Halo 4 has been somewhat lacking in the small-scale maps department and as awesome as BTB is, it can't hurt to complement the games map library with three new 4v4 maps.

Of course, the real question is... are the maps any good? Well what better way to find out than by listening to the opinions of a single stranger? Well, I try to be pretty impartial when it comes to this sort of thing, so hopefully my immediate first impressions combined with a more refined look at the map pack as a whole will suffice. That's right, below you can find my live-recorded first game on each map as well as final opinion on the pack. Take a look and a listen, and then decide for yourself whether the maps are worth your hard-earned mulah.

I'll be putting these up over the next few hours, a first impressions video for each map and a single video covering the entire pack. enjoy!

Thanks for watching and reading everyone! So, to those of you who have already played on these maps, what do you think? Which is your favorite, and more importantly; how badly do you want to get in that Hornet on Skyline? Discuss below!​

havent had a bad game on these yet today.

monolith is my least fav so far but its still pretty damn great

Landfall is pretty damn good, fun for extraction minus a few bad spawns.

Skyline is awesome, fun for CTF especially.

Really do not like the Monolith, very campy and has weird sight lines. Too boxy and arena for my tastes.

I love Landfall, so far I've played Extraction and Infinity Slayer, both were great. Played Monolith on Regicide and Infinity Slayer and those were both fun. Then I played Team Slayer a few times on Skyline and really didn't care for it. Over all though I love the map pack. Might actually get me back into matchmaking a little bit.

have you played them yet? they're really a breath of fresh air for MM.

I've only watched videos and seen screenshots, but the prevalence of crates and short walls as lazy cover I find appalling. I fried my AC Converter about a month ago and this piss poor game isn't worth replacing it for.

I've only watched videos and seen screenshots, but the prevalence of crates and short walls as lazy cover I find appalling. I fried my AC Converter about a month ago and this piss poor game isn't worth replacing it for.

So crates and short walls are lazy cover? How about maybe they're sticking to the theme of the level? If crates fit the theme; put them in. And if they work as cover then what's the problem. I find it appalling how you can be so arrogant and judgmental on maps you haven't even played.

So crates and short walls are lazy cover? How about maybe they're sticking to the theme of the level? If crates fit the theme; put them in. And if they work as cover then what's the problem. I find it appalling how you can be so arrogant and judgmental on maps you haven't even played.

So the crates scattered all over the place on Abandon are definitely well thought out and meet the theme of that level... yeah...
I'm sorry, I just have something called standards. Something that most of the Halo community seems to have forgotten.
Crates and short walls are fine, just not in such abundance. I'd prefer seeing a bit more structural geometry being used to break up line of sight, but that's too much to ask for these days.

AAA Devs only care about sales and aesthetics, and the forge community is almost just as bad.

So the crates scattered all over the place on Abandon are definitely well thought out and meet the theme of that level... yeah...
I'm sorry, I just have something called standards. Something that most of the Halo community seems to have forgotten.
Crates and short walls are fine, just not in such abundance. I'd prefer seeing a bit more structural geometry being used to break up line of sight, but that's too much to ask for these days.
Last time I checked Abandon wasn't part of the Majestic Map pack soo....
And I agree that structural geometry > crates for breaking up lines of sight but if they serve the same purpose just as well that doesn't make a map that uses crates a bad map.

AAA Devs only care about sales and aesthetics, and the forge community is almost just as bad.
If you would rather a structural geometry to be in place of crates to block the same lines of sight, isn't that essentially only an aesthetic change?

Fair enough, but you're wasting your time here. I know it's your 'thing' to be a blunt as shit and pointedly insult things you know others enjoy, but you're edging towards the line here. From one person to another, with sincerity, I ask that you don't get so close to crossing it. Let's not be so harsh, eh?

Fair enough, but you're wasting your time here. I know it's your 'thing' to be a blunt as shit and pointedly insult things you know others enjoy, but you're edging towards the line here. From one person to another, with sincerity, I ask that you don't get so close to crossing it. Let's not be so harsh, eh?

No worries dude. I barely post here, and it's real tame compared to my usual shit over at FH and what not. :p
There's people here that I like to chat with, and that's about my only reason to come.

Reactions: Titmar