Halo Halo 5 Ideas (take a look, need opinions!)

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry for adding the assassination weapon choices. Who gives a single shit if they only look cool, THEY LOOK COOL. And it wouldn't be that hard to do or hinder game experience at all, so why is that an issue?
Before you say, "It's unnecessary" let me tell you it doesn't matter if it's unnecessary in advance. Seriously. It looks cool, gives another level of customization, and wouldn't be hard to implement.
I'm going to say it's unnecessary and that is does matter. It probably end up being a reskin of the knife, and take up valuable space that could be used for something that actually enhances the gameplay.

Humbler Shock Stick/Promethean Blade Arm/Machete are all there to balance melee combat. The Machete and Shock Stick would be tempered to match the Energy Sword and Blade Arm, and would both get a lunge, as would the Blade Arm. Why would we add them? Because we were promised a fucking Machete and we never got it, the Shock Stick I could take or leave but it's cool, and the Blade Arm is IN THE FUCKING GAME ALREADY, and we don't get to use it.
It doesn't balance melee/ close quarters combat. It's already balanced. The Blade Arm wouldn't work because, if you hadn't noticed, the Blade Arm is the Promethean Knight's arm and, as such, would disintegrate when the Knight was destroyed, so the time you'd be using it would insanely small.

As for the Weapons/Abilities that remove the need for another weapon/ability, who cares? It's about choice and functionality. I'd pick Dual Needlers over a Heavy Needler. The dual shotguns can probably be taken out, but it would be cool to use one of them with another weapon.
The Spike Rifle gives the Covenant a precision weapon that actually kills in a decent amount of time and does decent damage, not this high ROF Carbine crap. The Needle Rifle has it's gimmicky nature, but it is pretty awesome. The Silenced SMG gives some range to automatics, and that thing was a beast in ODST. The Brute Storm Rifle was the same draw as the Heavy Sentinel Beam - Higher Damage in a shorter amount of time, but overheats a lot faster. Brutes did that with the original Plasma Rifle because on their unfamiliarity with Plasma technology. The Heavy Spiker would be their more mid-range automatic weapon. The Shields were an idea I've had since we saw the original Kig-Yar Point Defense Gauntlet, and couldn't fucking use the thing. Then we got dual wielding, I thought we'd be able to use it, but NO, we couldn't. It wouldn't eliminate the need for Hardlight Shielding, Armor Lock, Drop Shields, or shielding equipment, because you wouldn't always want to be wearing a damn gauntlet, would you?
A few things here:
  1. The silenced SMG would create an imbalance, as it is a silenced weapon. The only reason you had one it ODST was because you were a regular human being, using guerrilla tactics against an overwhelming enemy force. Unlike Spartans, ODSTs aren't walking tanks, they need to be more tactical.
  2. The heavy Spiker would remove the need for a regular Spiker, as it does the same thing the regular Spiker does, only one a larger scale.
  3. The Spike and Needle Rifle would both be firing spike projectiles, only the Needle Rifle would have the chance of a supercombine.
  4. The Shield Gaunlet is used by the Jackals because they don't have shields themselves, and that shield technology is already integrated into the Spartan armour. Also, until the Hardlight Shield, Armour Lock (which should never be brought back) and the Drop Shield, the Kig-Yar Point Defense Gauntlet would barely cover a Spartans torso, let alone thier entire body.

I thought the EMP Cannon would be a nice way to curtail the use of Plasma Pistols. By reducing the EMP time of Plasma Pistols, the EMP cannon would fill the anti-vehicle niche and cut down on the Plasma Pistol/Plasma Grenade problem that's plaguing BTB Matchmaking.
You could solve the problem of PP/PG by removing Stickies from loadouts. No need to add a giant Plasma Pistol into the mix.

The Grenades were just cool ideas I had and thought would change gameplay a good bit. And the Target Designator was awesome, so why you have a problem with that confuses me.
Here's why I have a problem with the Target Designator; It's overpowered beyond belief! Not only would it be an insta-kill on the target, but it would decimate everything in the vicinity. Also, and I've only just thought of this, it would completely ineffective against anything inside a covered structure, and most maps would have those, so as soon as someone triggers the TD, everyone would just stand under a roof until it passes and the user is stuck waiting for the recharge.

And the Hard Sound Rifle is supposed to have a small clip and be hard to aim, as well as doing no damage to vehicles, but it's 1 shot kill nature is no different from a Binary Rifle. It just seems OP because it fires through solid sufaces, but it really isn't. It would be unable to fire unless scoped (no snapshots) take time to zoom and fire, and have a long reload time, with 0 vehicle damage and a small clip.
There's a problem with the scope and shoot, every gun can hip fire. Maybe if the gun only fired through walls when scoped, but that would still be OP as the no one would be able to take cover from it.

HOW CAN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BRUTES USING A THERMAL SENSOR? I mean like a heat-signature detection device, so they have some form of nightvision, to make it fair. Oh, and the Spike Cannon would be like an instant kill at 10 feet, but after that it's range is way short, and the Plasma Shotgun would have a better range and be more damaging to shields and vehicles.

The Heat Sensor would work the same way as Promethean Vision. The Spike Cannon would make the Shotgun (who's insta-kill is extremely short ranged) and the Scattershot (which has range, but a random insta-kill) superfluous, seeing as it fills the niches of range and deadliness perfectly.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I'm going to say it's unnecessary and that is does matter. It probably end up being a reskin of the knife, and take up valuable space that could be used for something that actually enhances the gameplay.

This wouldn't even alter gameplay, it would be a small addition and with the Xbox One's processing power and the download capabilities, who cares if it's there?

It doesn't balance melee/ close quarters combat. It's already balanced. The Blade Arm wouldn't work because, if you hadn't noticed, the Blade Arm is the Promethean Knight's arm and, as such, would disintegrate when the Knight was destroyed, so the time you'd be using it would insanely small.

It does balance melee combat because so far, the Energy Sword can get beat by the Shotgun or Scattershot, but if it was another melee weapon, I don't think it would be as one-sided.

A few things here:
  1. The silenced SMG would create an imbalance, as it is a silenced weapon. The only reason you had one it ODST was because you were a regular human being, using guerrilla tactics against an overwhelming enemy force. Unlike Spartans, ODSTs aren't walking tanks, they need to be more tactical.
  2. The heavy Spiker would remove the need for a regular Spiker, as it does the same thing the regular Spiker does, only one a larger scale.
  3. The Spike and Needle Rifle would both be firing spike projectiles, only the Needle Rifle would have the chance of a supercombine.
  4. The Shield Gaunlet is used by the Jackals because they don't have shields themselves, and that shield technology is already integrated into the Spartan armour. Also, until the Hardlight Shield, Armour Lock (which should never be brought back) and the Drop Shield, the Kig-Yar Point Defense Gauntlet would barely cover a Spartans torso, let alone thier entire body.
The Silenced SMG wouldn't create an imbalance with the new automatics, because it's smaller damage but increased range would fill a more mid-range role than most automatics do at the moment.
The Heavy Spiker would be the Brute automatic rifle, and would have similar stats to the other automatics, but Dual Spikers will fire faster than the heavy version and probably kill faster at close range, like Dual SMG's.
The Spike Rifle would be firing Brute spikes, and would probably be more similar to a DMR, while a Needle Rifle would fill more of a BR-ish range and the supercombine after 5-6 shots would be it's outright advantage.
The Shield Gauntlet and other shields are there to provide moderate body cover, not total body cover, that's for Hardlight Shields and Armor Lock (which SHOULD come back). It's there to alter gameplay.

You could solve the problem of PP/PG by removing Stickies from loadouts. No need to add a giant Plasma Pistol into the mix.

We don't need to remove stickies, we need to nerf the Plasma Pistol's EMP and give it more direct damage, because it's direct damage is crap and the EMP is ridiculous. With a Wheelman upgrade, the Plasma Pistol EMP would be completely ineffective, creating a need for the EMP Cannon, which would always be able to EMP vehicles, for longer durations.

Here's why I have a problem with the Target Designator; It's overpowered beyond belief! Not only would it be an insta-kill on the target, but it would decimate everything in the vicinity. Also, and I've only just thought of this, it would completely ineffective against anything inside a covered structure, and most maps would have those, so as soon as someone triggers the TD, everyone would just stand under a roof until it passes and the user is stuck waiting for the recharge.

That's the point of the Target Designator, it's rare and it's damage is tremendous, meaning it would only show up in Campaign and certain multiplayer gametypes.

There's a problem with the scope and shoot, every gun can hip fire. Maybe if the gun only fired through walls when scoped, but that would still be OP as the no one would be able to take cover from it.

It was used by ONI Snipers to hit targets wherever they were, it's SUPPOSED to be OP, but by making it difficult to use and rare to acquire, as well as removing a hip-fire capability, that would balance it.

The Heat Sensor would work the same way as Promethean Vision. The Spike Cannon would make the Shotgun (who's insta-kill is extremely short ranged) and the Scattershot (which has range, but a random insta-kill) superfluous, seeing as it fills the niches of range and deadliness perfectly.

It wouldn't work the same as Promethean Vision (which I think should get modified slightly) and the Spike Cannon would be more close-range than the Shotgun, which needs a slight buff, and the Scattershot needs an RoF buff to fit in.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
It wouldn't work the same as Promethean Vision (which I think should get modified slightly) and the Spike Cannon would be more close-range than the Shotgun, which needs a slight buff, and the Scattershot needs an RoF buff to fit in.

I just did some research, and a 10 ft lethal range is 4 metres shorter than that of the shotgun, so actually, the Spike Cannon would be next to useless.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Then give it a flechette shot capability and massive spread to clean corridors; it's SUPPOSED to have a shorter range than the standard shotgun but bouncing projectiles all over the place would be hilarious (like the spike grenade).

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
Then give it a flechette shot capability and massive spread to clean corridors; it's SUPPOSED to have a shorter range than the standard shotgun but bouncing projectiles all over the place would be hilarious (like the spike grenade).

But that would give it a greater range, and the ricocheting pellets would be a clone of the Scattershot.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
No, it would not. The spikes would ricochet until the gravity factor pulled them down, which would be quick, but wouldn't just fade out like the Scattershot's blast. It's lethal range being shorter than the Shotgun's, but giving it a flechette effect, would probably work best. Or giving it a charge ability that increased it's lethal range, but cost multiple shells, similar to a Boltshot.
Look, you can keep splitting hairs with me here, or realize that since these are my ideas, I'm not backing down on any of them or changing my opinions. I just wanted to see what everyone else's opinions are, and most of what I've got says that Halo may have changed, but the fans and players certainly haven't.

Reactions: EagleTitan99

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
No, it would not. The spikes would ricochet until the gravity factor pulled them down, which would be quick, but wouldn't just fade out like the Scattershot's blast. It's lethal range being shorter than the Shotgun's, but giving it a flechette effect, would probably work best. Or giving it a charge ability that increased it's lethal range, but cost multiple shells, similar to a Boltshot.
Look, you can keep splitting hairs with me here, or realize that since these are my ideas, I'm not backing down on any of them or changing my opinions. I just wanted to see what everyone else's opinions are, and most of what I've got says that Halo may have changed, but the fans and players certainly haven't.

To be fair though , certain idea seem to be clones of other weapons.By clones I mean the exact same type of weapon that does the exact same thing ( not to be confused with similar weapons that have similar purposes for e.g the AR and Storm Rifle ).So far what I've gathered from what you've said is a shotgun that is basically point blank and charges like that seen on a boltshot... which in fact would just be a bigger boltshot.

I find it inspiring that you've put so much time and effort into this but the reality is that Halo doesn't need a lot of weapons.I don't want it to be a CoD game or a BF game , I want Halo to improve on what its already got ( preferably by not adding a a Vulture which is basically a AC130 vehicle that could level anything ).I could go on but I'm sure you're getting the picture I'm painting here.

TLDR;
To many clone weapons but good ideas that probably won't happen.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
While you make a good point about "clone" weapons, I think you're missing the main point of all of these weapons: choice. The ability to choose exactly how you play is powerful, and to add in a ton of new weapons would change gameplay and force players to adapt, to counteract things like loadouts. I like loadouts, but I think too many people rely on their DMR or BR and Plasma Grenades instead of finding crazy new ways to play, and this would do that. I don't think a lot of these would ever show up, but it was just me spitballing ideas at 3am anyways.
And the Vulture thing was just to make the Target Designator thing seem like just artillery flying out of the sky, it would be a visible airstrike that blows crap away.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
They aren't exactly the same. I'm pretty sure if you gave the spike cannon different stats, ammo capacity, range, etc. it would be different enough that it would be a viable choice.

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Moral of the story , if you have 2 shotguns they're still two shotguns which are basically clones of each other.And how ever you try to word this people will always go for the more powerful shotty.

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
By powerful I mean powerful..Simply put if one shotgun has less damage ( aka power ) than another , then people are more likely to for the other one as it would have more damage.

Same thing happened in GoW 3 and people hated it.

The7thSeal

Expert
Jan 12, 2013
Lincolnshire, UK
The Silenced SMG wouldn't create an imbalance with the new automatics, because it's smaller damage but increased range would fill a more mid-range role than most automatics do at the moment.
Think about it. Most of the time, there is some kind of audio clue for whatever weapon is fired. Silencing it removes that, making it that much hard to spot your attacker. I'm all for bringing back the SMG, just so long as it isn't silenced.
The Spike Rifle would be firing Brute spikes, and would probably be more similar to a DMR, while a Needle Rifle would fill more of a BR-ish range and the supercombine after 5-6 shots would be it's outright advantage.
The Needle Rifle was the Covenant equivalent of the DMR. Deciding to change what it fundamentally is to add a new weapon is just ridiculous.
The Shield Gauntlet and other shields are there to provide moderate body cover, not total body cover, that's for Hardlight Shields and Armor Lock (which SHOULD come back). It's there to alter gameplay.

The Reason the Hardlight Shield and Armour Lock (Which was ridiculously overpowered, by the way) give large area of cover is to give the player a little respite to rethink tactics and collect themselves. The Shield Gauntlet wouldn't allow that.
We don't need to remove stickies, we need to nerf the Plasma Pistol's EMP and give it more direct damage, because it's direct damage is crap and the EMP is ridiculous. With a Wheelman upgrade, the Plasma Pistol EMP would be completely ineffective, creating a need for the EMP Cannon, which would always be able to EMP vehicles, for longer durations.
The Plasma Pistol has done what it does since the beginnings of Halo. Similar to the Needle Rifle, you can't just fundamentally change a weapon so that you can put another weapon in. And most of the time, the problem isn't with the EMP, it's the damage that the Stickies do in conjunction with the Plasma Pistol. Making Stickies pick up only grenade would part way alleviate this.
That's the point of the Target Designator, it's rare and it's damage is tremendous, meaning it would only show up in Campaign and certain multiplayer gametypes.
It's like the Incineration Cannon. Cheap Kills with no effort. The Incineration Cannon annoys people as it is, putting in something with a vastly larger area of effect is going to drive them mad.
It was used by ONI Snipers to hit targets wherever they were, it's SUPPOSED to be OP, but by making it difficult to use and rare to acquire, as well as removing a hip-fire capability, that would balance it.
Think in terms of fair and balanced combat. Being able to hit targets wherever they are is neither fair nor balanced. And stating it's supposed to be OP is a weak argument. The Covenant Glassing Lasers are supposed to be OP, should we include them too? And for the last time, you can't remove hip fire for any gun. All guns, every single gun ever made, can be hip fired.

FloydRTC95

Adept
Jan 9, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I am so sick of arguing this.
The Silenced SMG is supposed to be more mid range, it's short scope would help with that, even though it's still moderately inaccurate (as it is an SMG). As for the Audio Cue issue, wouldn't it be simpler to remove the silencer and just enhance the SMG in some other way (such as calling it a "Scoped" SMG) make more sense? It would be just as loud as other weapons, with some range.
Ridiculous? Nice opinion there. The Needle Rifle can kill an unshielded target in 3 shots (like a DMR) and it takes 6 to bring down shields. Lowering that number would put it on par with the other weapons, as well as making the ROF more like the DMR's (or more like the Light Rifle's, the new changes make that weapon pretty tough). It can be balanced with the other weapons and brought back.
I'm pretty sure you weren't on the development teams that created the Hardlight Shield and Armor Lock (which was supposed to be overpowered, but a long cooldown could counteract that, as well as shortening the time you're in Armor Lock) so you definitely don't know what their original intentions were. I made the assumption that these abilities were for protection (which fits, seeing as they're both a form of advanced shielding in some way) to save someone in a critical moment. Saying that they're basically a pause button for the player is ridiculous. The Shield Gauntlets add another layer to combat, forcing you to break them or shoot around them like they're obstacles (jackals...) and the person holding it is forced to use a DW weapon, which has less pure damage potential than a normal weapon.
Exactly, making stickies pickups would "part way" alleviate the problem. Keeping stickies and adjusting the Plasma Pistol is a better idea because, frankly, the Plasma Pistol is a weak piece of crap in a straight-up fight, when it used to be pretty dangerous. Nerfing the overcharge allows vehicles more time to escape, because not everyone can stick that EMP'd Warthog in 2-3 seconds. The Plasma Pistol's damage is crap, but the EMP is overpowered. This would fix both issues, and not completely change the weapon. OH, and the EMP only showed up in, what, Halo 3? Halo: CE and 2 didn't even have an EMP effect.
Cheap kills with no effort my ASS. To kill someone at something beyond 30 feet with the Incineration Cannon, you have to lead the target and predict the time it will take for the blast to hit the target. It's rather large AoE is a bit of an issue, but most of the time you'll end up killing yourself because of it. It is NOT easy to use. And I'm saying that as someone who isn't a Noob. The Target Designator creates a huge red outline of where it's going to hit, you can run away from it (unless you're in a vehicle, in which case, you're SO screwed) and remember, this would be a RARE ordnance drop, with maybe 1 shot in it. 1 time to rain hell, and you aren't guaranteed to kill a huge number of people, most teams stay spread out because of Rockets/Fuel Rods/Incineration Cannons making for easy multikills, and Snipers getting multiple kills with 2 shots at least.
For the last time, you aren't a game developer or on the development teams, and you probably don't work on video games either. If there's a function in a game, you can turn it off and on. So removing a hip-fire capability shouldn't be that difficult. Also, the weapon is OP, but it would be a bitch to use. It has a charge time, can only fire when scoped, and has a low clip size. That's maybe 2 guaranteed kills, MAYBE, and a Binary Rifle can assure 6 instant kills and can hip-fire. THAT is an OP weapon, with no charge time and a decent sized clip. Also, it would be another RARE ordnance drop.