News Halo 5 BTB

front-page-halo-news-png.14395
In just over a week, the BTB playlist will hit Halo 5's servers. The playlist will launch with four maps, three of which were a collaboration between community cartographers and 343's internal development team. More details will release on the maps at a later date, but for now you can catch a glimpse of each and learn a bit about them in the latest community update.

Deadlock: a reimagination of Standoff created by Nokyard in collaboration with 343
h5-btb-3.jpg

Guillotine: a reimagination of Headlong created by The Psycho Duck (who even likes that guy?) in collaboration with 343
h5-btb.jpg

Recurve: a reimagination of Longbow created by The Fated Fire in collaboration with 343
h5-btb-2.jpg

Basin: a reimagination of Blood Gulch and Valhalla created by 343
h5-btb-4.jpg

So, that's what we have to look forward to in about a week! Who's excited for BTB and Forge?

I see you got the yellow in your map Duck!
I actually only used yellow on the construction building a la the original. They seemed to have turned it into more of a motif for the entire map since I left, but it makes sense what with the golden warthog billboard and all.

I see you got the yellow in your map Duck! Also it's interesting how you have people complaining about the visual nose of dev maps yet they also complain about bland forge maps. It's great to have a clean forge that lets us add detail where necessary. The priority is to get maps that play well and I think it's fantastic that devs have finally excepted that they can't design BTB maps. Giving more control to the forgers means a better quality of maps (assuming 343 know what maps to put in MM). It bothers me too that people might complain and that the wider community could send a negative message to 343 about their dependence on Forge this time around. I think we are going to see some awesome maps made in Halo 5 regardless so the complainers better shut up.

My conclusion: everyone but forgers are full of ****!
It is bothersome that alot of people think Graphics > Gameplay...

I'm so 'heppy' (Men in tights) Headlong is back in the form of Guillotine. Topping it off is the fact that it's a Forge creation. Cherry on top for having Duck take point on making it. Second servings for all the gametypes we will be able to play on it. My all time favorite map; I'll never forget the first time I shot a Wraith out of my rocket launcher for a multi-splatter kill...oh the good old modded days. Seriously, as soon as it releases I'm dedicating entire Customs sessions to this one map; if you know me, please don't ask me to play anything else once Guillotine is on that screen.

Reactions: Auburn
I was merely compiling a list which demonstrates the thanklessness of this entire project. At this point, I could compile a massive post purely quoting the blatantly insulting and disrespectful posts I've seen today as well.

What people don't realize is that these are essentially dev maps. Yes, they were built in Forge instead of in Maya. But, they went through the same process any dev map goes through. They had to clear the same design passes, testing hurdles, and art passes that any other developer map must go through. I understand that people are also looking forward to new traditional developer maps, but it's ironic that forgers who spend so much time arguing that forge maps can be just as good as dev maps are turning around and claiming that they're being ripped off by this.

What disappoints me most (aside from the abysmally ignorant, disrespectful, and insulting attitude displayed by many) is the message this will send to 343. They've put a lot of focus on forge this time around and made something incredible which has already allowed for some amazing maps to be created and the response from the community has been so overwhelmingly negative that they will surely question the time and resources they've put into it.
Man, some people suck. I know how hard it is not to take stuff personally when folks put down your work, especially for dumb reasons like this, but I hope you understand that these people are simply whining about game developers because that's what's cool to do at the moment. They're basing their opinions of hundreds of hours of work, rigorous testing, and meticulous attention to detail on three screenshots, without any appreciation for the design and effort behind them.

As for the message this sends to 343, I'd argue that this whole Community Cartographer "experiment" (for lack of a better term) will likely only reaffirm the value of Forge as a tool, not a gimmick. You obviously have a better feel for this than I do, but everything I've read suggests that the developers were blown away by the professional level of work you guys put out, and if I were in their position, I'd see that as evidence that my investment in the toolset was absolutely worth it.

I plan on picking up a copy of H5 soon, and I can't wait to play what you folks put together.