Flood Sandbox Altering Suggestions

This will be a quick post...
I have for quite a bit of time scattered around a few months now have been working on a (modded) objective-based Flood variant in which I call Salvation.

I won't get too deep in describing the gametype, no more than saying that it is the most innovative creation to hit the Flood scene. Those of you who remember Plague? This makes Plague look like a child's toy.

The details of functionality aren't of question at this point in it's development, but I want general sandbox-changing element ideas that may be subtle, but make the game feel rich and different. Playing Destiny sparked two ideas which I wrote on the spot: killfeed messages at the beginning of each round informing you of your kill and infection count, the other being a red icon over a flood's head when they kill a human near you, the icon lasting 2 seconds. Another thing I may do is make the Sniper Rifle a 1-shot kill, as it was suggested by (I think) Paints for Hivemind. Additions like this are what I would like to fill the gametype with, to make it a more whole experience.
Give me your suggestions and wishes for what I may add to Salvation!

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
I've always thought that Sniper should be a 1 shot kill. It is in Last Stand. Alzarahn wanted Hivemind to be like that too so we told 343 to make it a one shot in Hivemind before they updated Hivemind. Apparently they couldn't pull it off.

EDITS:

-I still think it would be cool if a Flood could get rewarded with 5 points for getting a hit on a human, regardless of if they get the kill.

-Flood assist points are weird in general. Sometimes you get them. Sometimes you just get the assist medal with no points. It would cool if that was fixed. Basically reward Flood for being aggressive.

-If you're bringing revives back, shorten the time it takes to do so. That long revive time slowed down and halted gameplay so much that I ended up just turning revives off.

-All mechanics and object labels from Plague should be there. Including activating and deactivating dom objects.

-Shorter lunge?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zandril
I like the suggestions. I will go ahead and make the sniper a 1-shot kill (don't know why 343i was lazy to not do that in Hivemind).
I will think about the Flood hit points, I like that.
With assists and core functions that were broken in Flood, I can assure you that everything, including assists, are completely working. I wrote this gametype from the ground up and made sure everything is functional as I went.
Reviving is more stable now, and I did shorten it a second, but I feel that it can't be too short because quick flood take two hits to initiate the slow infection now.
On the subject of Plague's labels; There is everything existing upgraded, and much, much more.

Thanks for replying, and I will look at everything I mentioned.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
I like the suggestions. I will go ahead and make the sniper a 1-shot kill (don't know why 343i was lazy to not do that in Hivemind).
I will think about the Flood hit points, I like that.
With assists and core functions that were broken in Flood, I can assure you that everything, including assists, are completely working. I wrote this gametype from the ground up and made sure everything is functional as I went.
Reviving is more stable now, and I did shorten it a second, but I feel that it can't be too short because quick flood take two hits to initiate the slow infection now.
On the subject of Plague's labels; There is everything existing upgraded, and much, much more.

Thanks for replying, and I will look at everything I mentioned.

The last squad standing settings option we talked about would be cool too.

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
How about you change the flood lunge to a sword lunge, so the gametype is actually going to be good?

#LivingDeadBest
chansub-global-emoticon-680b6b3887ef0d17-21x28.png

How about you change the flood lunge to a sword lunge, so the gametype is actually going to be good?

#LivingDeadBest View attachment 11241
Ignorant criticism isn't appreciated by me, Buddy.
Before you assume the gametype will be not actually good, try to learn something about gametypes; Melee weapons cannot have their traits tuned. Even if I wanted to give the Flood an Energy Sword, I wouldn't because of the clunky and unappealing look. There are ways to make the default lunge balanced, if you have never tried.
Anyways, comments like this are why I was so close to quitting 3 gametypes ago. I might delay this one's release until Sunday.

Last edited:

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
How did I fucking miss this thread?
Anyway, I would love to see the option to either turn off sprint for both parties again. I loved that in Plague and it was actually incredibly useful to be able to manipulate sprint settings.

It's also a shame having to miss the attach label and the hide label but I understand why you were forced to do that so I'll work my way around it in this map I'm creating. I've been able to come up with quite some unique ways to implement the new possibilities, you'll love it!

Reactions: AbandonedCashew
Awesome! I can't wait to see. Before I release the gt I am going to message all people forging for this to finish their maps so I can have a good amount of compatible maps upon release. :)
I have been completely maxed out on labels and options from the start, and you'll all see why when it's out.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Awesome! I can't wait to see. Before I release the gt I am going to message all people forging for this to finish their maps so I can have a good amount of compatible maps upon release. :)
I have been completely maxed out on labels and options from the start, and you'll all see why when it's out.

But just to be clear... there is indeed no hide label? And I was also wondering two things:

- Is there a maximum count of tiers to have? Or can you have as many tiers in a round as you may well please? (That would be soooo cool, because it means I could implement a lot of the cinematic effects I have in mind into this one map.)
- Can you label an object to both appear after being triggered, and to disappear after being triggered later by another forge trigger?

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Just another idea here. What if when you were holding a heavy weapon you would move slower?

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Ignorant criticism isn't appreciated by me, Buddy.
Before you assume the gametype will be not actually good, try to learn something about gametypes; Melee weapons cannot have their traits tuned. Even if I wanted to give the Flood an Energy Sword, I wouldn't because of the clunky and unappealing look. There are ways to make the default lunge balanced, if you have never tried.
Anyways, comments like this are why I was so close to quitting 3 gametypes ago. I might delay this one's release until Sunday.
I'm sorry, man. I went too far.

But just to be clear... there is indeed no hide label? And I was also wondering two things:

- Is there a maximum count of tiers to have? Or can you have as many tiers in a round as you may well please? (That would be soooo cool, because it means I could implement a lot of the cinematic effects I have in mind into this one map.)
- Can you label an object to both appear after being triggered, and to disappear after being triggered later by another forge trigger?
There are hide, unhide, and show boundary features available through the Function label. You have the freedom of 100 tiers of gameplay (100 phases). Also, I do not think you can make an object spawn in then delete, but using a duplicate you can make it delete then spawn in.
The heavy weapon idea is a good one, however I don't think it's worth the relatively large amount of script for a small change like that.
-JK I'll do it

I'm sorry, man. I went too far.
You're okay, I will get defensive easily at those types comments but I understand you weren't aiming to shoot at my gametype. If you do, then don't feel bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy and REMkings