Data Lost [Feb 26, 2017] Squally's Sunday Skirmishes - Halo 5 (XONE)

This content is incomplete due to being reliant on a site add-on which is no longer in use.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex quit

Got Gud
Nov 19, 2014
Sorry if my feedback is kind of sporadic this week hah - it's easier for me to write small bits of feedback during the gaps in my schedule rather than writing/posting it all at once.

HANGOUT

The street-level still seems largely underutilized beyond yellow corner. The warthog and ghost can really only interact with yellow corner. They’re separated from most of the infantry because the rest of the map is so vertical. However when used as a way to defend yellow corner they do become very handy.
It seems like holding any two strongholds can be a viable strategy which I personally like, it allows players to approach map control in their own way, rather than feeling like they need to hold certain locations.
I still feel like you can find a way to pull the infantry away from the map’s perimeter - connecting the main structures over the streets allowing them to cross and intersect - I feel this would promote more interesting engagements.

ECHOES
To me the map offers that classic BTB experience that I remember from Blood Gulch, Valhalla, and the like. The map plays well overall and actually makes good use of the spartan laser. The new earth-bridge replacing the old forerunner one was a welcome change.
Regarding the rocks - opposite of the teleporter sender bases - along the cliffside - to the left of blue base, or to the right of the red base. I think you could do something more interesting with these areas. Maybe some more forerunner structures would be cool

- more feedback to come -​

Reactions: MartianMallCop
Echoes by The Grim Dealer- Symmetrical terrain map with Forerunner bases and a Banshee.
I liked this one, a lot. Coming into a base from the center of the map was difficult, from the sides it was easier. I found that inconvenient.
It seemed like the teleporter was the best flag route, an
Ferrous by CommanderColson- Asymmetrical junkyard style map.
Good looking, but I had trouble locking down any location other than the pipe on top of the map; because I don't know the map well yet.
I'd like to learn the meta more extensively. Also the low stronghold probably should have some space between in it or down below it, because it was hard to get back up for me and another player.
Kizingo by alex quit- Asymmetrical rainy urban map.
I don't remember.
Zahruine by Storiedsquire- Symmetrical black Forerunner map.
I don't remember.
Fracture by Squally DaBeanz- Symmetrical snowy map with Mantises and bridges.
Gotta play it more, I think it'd benefit from different colors for floors and walls.
Lowlands by Oasis Hurler- Symmetrical terrain map with various structures.
A little more cover in some places, and better bases differentiation. Less spawns in the middle of the map, it was to easy to get back to the enemies base. Maybe I'll turn the lifts into a two to one teleporter to the low end of the middle of the map.
Artemis by The Psycho Duck- Symmetrical bow shaped Forerunner map.
I thought this was bad blood.
I like the sword spawn, I jumped for it and then jumped again and landed on an enemy; it was a great moment.
Hangout by MartianMallCop- Asymmetrical toon-town style urban map.
If this is the map that I got fifteen kills on the warthog gun, I love it. it probably is because I could see Martian's style on that map.
You should probably put two single plasma grenades at two different places on the map if you haven't, and if you have you should find a better spot, because I know the enemies were looking for it, and they didn't kill my warthog.

JA50N 0

Novice
Feb 19, 2016
Posting for 3/06/16 testing
Gt: JA50N 0
Map: ODST TAYARI PLAZA
game: ctf, assault, strongholds.

Last edited:

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Disclaimer: Because some maps were played on both Sunday and Monday, feedback for cross-lobby maps have been posted on Monday's thread to account for any potential changes that may have taken place between the two lobbies.

Temporal Enigma - Scorched Earth -
This map is big. Like, really big. I feel like you may have missed the point of Timberlands. That map was a lot smaller (and the Reach version was even smaller than the original), and the hills were more defined. There were also a lot more trees. The combination of steep hills and lots of tree cover created directed lanes for vehicles and high points for infantry to fight over. Your map was far too open and flat for anyone to move effectively through it without sneaking around the outer edge. This lead to very slow and dull gameplay. I suggest shrinking the map and putting a larger emphasis on the hills as power positions while allowing players and vehicles alike to safely traverse between them.

Half Demon ANBU - The Cradle-
Feedback posted in Monday's thread.

Mrmiclego11 - Nightclub Beta -

MrBamle - Rat's Nest B1 -

The Grim Dealer - Echoes -

CommanderColson - Ferrous -

alex quit - Kizingo -

Storiedsquire - Zahruine -
This map felt very under-scaled for BTB, and it was segmented in very strange ways. When playing the map, it was difficult to get proper lines of sight on other players due to all the triangles and tiny holes in the geometry. The number of overlapping surfaces in view at any given time made orientation difficult, and player's depth perception was thrown off. I suggest going back and trying to clean up the geometry. Try to focus on making it player friendly and easy to understand before making it pretty. Also, make the Stronghold much smaller. The goal with Strongholds is to force players to control a small space that can be exposed to other more powerful areas, forcing teamwork. The size of your Strongholds lead to players running around entire sections of the map trying to find who was preventing a capture.

Oasis Hurler - Lowlands-
This map felt very messy and unfocused. The series of overly simplistic and disconnected structures spread over an open field led to stagnant and slow gameplay. Players had a hard time finding eachother due to the size of the map, and there was little incentive to risk walking out in the open to move from one structure to the other. The lack of vertical overlap also added to this problem, as the entire top level of the map was exposed to long lines of sight, aside from the two large rocks in the center. I suggest shrinking the map down a bit, and combing some of the existing structures together to create more interesting gameplay. Adding either second levels to the structures or underground sections to the map will allow you to bring everything in closer while retaining enough unique space for interesting combat between two teams of eight.

Reactions: Oasis Hurler

Gehrtz

Novice
Feb 28, 2016
If you are doing another 16 player intended lobby I have a Map that I would like to test. It's called Centricity. This is a Breakout map though and I don't know if that's considered core. It's intended for four teams 2v2v2v2, 3v3v3v3, or what I think will play best, 4v4v4v4. My gamertag is Gehrtz

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
If you are doing another 16 player intended lobby I have a Map that I would like to test. It's called Centricity. This is a Breakout map though and I don't know if that's considered core. It's intended for four teams 2v2v2v2, 3v3v3v3, or what I think will play best, 4v4v4v4. My gamertag is Gehrtz
We'll be testing core maps intended for two teams of eight. If we end up with a small list of maps to test and finish at a decent time, I can throw yours in at the end as a backup slot :)

Squally DaBeanz

Big Jerk
Jan 9, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: OverlordRaven91
Apr 23, 2013
GT: The Grim Dealer
Map: Echoes 3.0
Gametype: CTF

This map has seen a lot of changes since last week. The Laser side, in particular, has been completely redesigned and I've added more cover/paths for infantry to safely move around the map.

JLP9999

Novice
Feb 15, 2016
I was disconnected from party chat between games so forgive me if these criticisms and comments have already been discussed in depth already during the lobby.

ODST Tayrai Plaza- The main route feels a little too big and could afford to be a bit smaller. That being said, I liked how the sides of the map were clearly designed to facilitate infantry-play while vehicles get the wide open sections; though i'd argue you could still afford to shrink the main playing field to support better infantry gameplay while retaining vehicle dominance.

Sanctified-
I'm in agreement that this map could be improved by being shrunk down to half its size, because overall i'd say the map's layout is very sound and could be more enjoyable with shorter travel times. The bases also need more entrances.

Kizingo-
I felt like the Eastgate stronghold was the odd one out in this map, mostly because it doesn't integrate much vehicle interaction and lacks the several angles of approach the other strongholds afford. Other than that nitpick, this map was a real blast to play.

Echoes- I have to agree with Colson that the aesthetics of this map could afford to be modified to make areas more distinct. Map is still fun to play though.

"Nightclub minus Nightclub" -
I'm fairly certain the removal of the mid stronghold was unintentional so I'll hold off on any comments until we get to play the map the way it was meant to be played.

Hornets Nest- "Oh cool it's that Rat's Nest revamp from last week but modified to- oh the game finished" The game went by so fast that I didn't get a chance to really observe how the this variant changed since the last time, so I really cant comment.

Badger Pit- Wow this map has seen a real facelift since the initial version. I feel like the bases here are still bigger than they need to be. The central area is neat but is bogged down by some unfortunately placed shield barriers. Some of the pathways area a little weird and there are areas where i'm not sure if i'm allowed to be on top of. That being said, it's very clear you worked hard to improve the map and it's really cool seeing this map evolve.

Hangout- I feel like this map is best played with objectives, though getting to try it with slayer is still great fun. I really like the verticality and how well integrated the banshee is within the map. I found it easier to deal with the banshee this time around, so i'm guessing there was a weapon rebalance(or maybe it was because Duck wasn't here to fly it this time).

'Ferrous' Scavenger: Electric Boogaloo-
The hanging men were removed from the top tower, this is unacceptable. Other than that, this map is great fun and looks even better since the visual overhaul. Trench was a hard stronghold to keep down, but that might be just because the other team had a beat on us.

Ferrous strongholds for today big fan hope u like my map plz rape and subscribe

Colson I love your map but I don't love it that much.

Fracture-
I didn't notice the spawning issues some other players were pointing out in-game, so I can't really cant comment on that. Map still plays great as far as I can tell. I really like how the mid structure turned out in the end.

Centricity- I don't get around enough with Breakout to really have an opinion in how this map plays, though I will comment on the four tall sniper points that dominate during the last stretch of each round. Either remove em or just make them less tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.