Competitive Cryptic

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
No problem. I know what you mean about squeezing maps into lobbies but there is really no rush. I appreciate the fact that it may be reviewed so I don't mind when.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
I wouldn't worry about reviewing Cryptic right now because there will be a pretty significant update for this map soon.

Cryptic is ok but it is not the map I want it to be yet. Expect major differences in the next version.

Reactions: RogerDodger

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Yes I remember you messing around with me in Forge on some old version of Cryptic. Back then the layout just wasn't making any sense. After experimenting I have realised that it is better to just completely start over than to try and fix a broken layout. Most of my versions were to similar to the second which in some ways was aesthetically appealing but at its core the layout was messed up. Starting over with an empty space was the best move but the people who made any suggestions for the past versions were extremely useful to me in making decisions about what was working and what wasn't.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
I think developing the idea of Cryptic took longer than I would have liked because I was not aware of any maps similar enough to what I wanted to do but seeing Furnace being created around the same time I have been building this was real motivation to me in realising Erosion can hold some very interesting concepts. I think there is no doubt than on the surface Erosion is one ugly piece of crap but once it is all worked out some pretty amazing maps can be built here. The two maps that stood out to me while making Cryptic were definitely Furnace and Akasha.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Have you thought of putting a hill in the bottom tunnel that links the 3 rooms?
There currently is a hill bottom middle that may have not been there when you played it. I have just about considered every single possible change I can make to this damn map which is why I am taking forever to decide which ideas are best. Hill placements are no problem I can change that easily. It is making the odd structural piece appear out of nowhere that is a problem.

Darkrain491

Qualified
Jan 10, 2014
Scotland
hmm... An idea would be to include a third, lesser power weapon down bottom mid with a faster respawn time. players then count the timer and and "clock it in" this will result in more player control of this area. a power up will give a similar effect. I personally would recommend a speed boost. That said, An Overshield could work with a 180 minute timer, if placed where your concussion rifle currently is placed, and move concussion to the lower wall, with a 120 respawn. Concussion rifle is a surprisingly good counter to Overshield I find. If the Overshield is placed up on that pedestal, 2 sightlines converge over it (exit of sniper room corridor and purple penties), meaning there is a large opportunity burn some of their Overshield, and you have alot of escape options in those areas, most notably purple penties. The marker for an Overshield will cause a convergence on that room, and promote map movement. it also gives a strong incentive to hold that room, giving your map that reason to hold a position it seems to need.

But, if you went down the Power weapon route, I would suggest a Scattershot with a 150 or 180 respawn, 0 extra mags, be placed where the concussion rifle is currently placed, and moving Concussion to the lower hall with 120 respawn time. something to make this environment more inviting.

Personally, I would go with a power up. Preferably Overshield. I hate it as much as you do, but it seems as though it could be the perfect cog in the machine to give the map a position that you really want to hold. The way your map is built, there is alot of ways to avoid conflict enough to let it burn away, a legitimate tactic I might add. The pedestal is in a perfect position for players to safely grab Concussion rifle to counter the Overshield while the opponent is preoccupied with said Overshield, which in turn promotes use of the under tunnel.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
hmm... An idea would be to include a third, lesser power weapon down bottom mid with a faster respawn time. players then count the timer and and "clock it in" this will result in more player control of this area. a power up will give a similar effect. I personally would recommend a speed boost. That said, An Overshield could work with a 180 minute timer, if placed where your concussion rifle currently is placed, and move concussion to the lower wall, with a 120 respawn. Concussion rifle is a surprisingly good counter to Overshield I find. If the Overshield is placed up on that pedestal, 2 sightlines converge over it (exit of sniper room corridor and purple penties), meaning there is a large opportunity burn some of their Overshield, and you have alot of escape options in those areas, most notably purple penties. The marker for an Overshield will cause a convergence on that room, and promote map movement. it also gives a strong incentive to hold that room, giving your map that reason to hold a position it seems to need.

But, if you went down the Power weapon route, I would suggest a Scattershot with a 150 or 180 respawn, 0 extra mags, be placed where the concussion rifle is currently placed, and moving Concussion to the lower hall with 120 respawn time. something to make this environment more inviting.

Personally, I would go with a power up. Preferably Overshield. I hate it as much as you do, but it seems as though it could be the perfect cog in the machine to give the map a position that you really want to hold. The way your map is built, there is alot of ways to avoid conflict enough to let it burn away, a legitimate tactic I might add. The pedestal is in a perfect position for players to safely grab Concussion rifle to counter the Overshield while the opponent is preoccupied with said Overshield, which in turn promotes use of the under tunnel.

You make a very good case for the Overshield and I suppose it is at the very least worth trying. I am not sure about three power ups/weapons on a map that size but whatever works. Thanks I am still continuing to experiment with weapons and this is the best suggestion yet. The only argument against Overshields from me is that they piss me off. I would honestly rather go up against an incineration cannon than a half decent player with more than double my shields.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkrain491

Darkrain491

Qualified
Jan 10, 2014
Scotland
You make a very good case for the Overshield and I suppose it is at the very least worth trying. I am not sure about three power ups/weapons on a map that size but whatever works. Thanks I am still continuing to experiment with weapons and this is the best suggestion yet. The only argument against Overshields from me is that they piss me off. I would honestly rather go up against an incineration cannon than a half decent player with more than double my shields.

True, but your map is perfect for avoidance tactics. If someone has the Overshield, There are so many ways to avoid them until it burns of, and maybe putting in a few potshots. all in all, an Overshield seems to me like the best option. I mean take Purple Penties. If your firing on an Overshielded player from there, and you need to leave, the options you have is great. You can go to pit room, then choose to circle around to lift room, or go the under route and go straight to lift room, or back to baby pentagon room. Avoidance tactics on your map will work great.