Community changing web series Halo Machinima

Earlier today a handful of us started to talk about a Halo Machinima. We came up with the idea of making episodes that would relate to a weekly battle and the outcome of the battle would change the story. This is a thread to help us remember, take notes, create together, help set things up, and etc. for the purposes of making this a successful web series.

The story so far… (Notes with a grain of salt)
There are three factions, Pirates, alliance, and the empire. The first level is a pirate raid on a wrecking yard… but little do the Pirates know that there is a magical rock that the Empire is studying in the wrecking yard. Later down the road there'll be a battle in a station (I need help remembering what it is precisely) and the empire city… but we are planning for changes so that these levels may be played in a different way or not, at all depending on which side wins and loses.

Update on 5/20/2013
Lots of changes has happened, lots of people have joined, few have left, but we are getting close to filming time (I think).
The final drafts of episode one through four are on page 12 of this forum at the bottom together in one post.
The other three scripts are probably going be on that page as well.
Pirate Trailer on pages 9-10
Capt. on page 9

Update on 6/13/2013
All maps are basically completed, it would be good to have another test run of all the maps and game types.
All on page 13:
Zeeke's computer has crashed sometime ago but hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
Episode five has been written but read one of the specific possible outcomes, one possibility is much simpler to read and gives you a much more accurate description of how long the episode could be. There is one possible outcome for the empire and the alliance. If you can handle multiple possibilities then read the empire possibilities, it was the first one to be released. Or if you want to know how multiple possibilities will be narrowed down into one, read the empire possibilities and then the one possible outcome for the empire.

Update on 11/18/2013
Page 17 has a great episode outline for season one. Also, Zeeke got in contact with some people that can make some cool music as well as other fellow youtubers who are hopefully checking this out right now. If you are, page 17 will tell everything, simple, sweet, concise, and other words as such.

Golophin087

Novice
Jan 13, 2013
Currently we are also working on a large scale aerial battle between Imperial reinforcements and the dug in pirates. The Imperial forces will have a frigate (of my own design) while the pirates have a base on top of one of the nearby asteroids. I will be posting pictures of the frigate at a later date for constructive criticism and ideas/modifications. We cannot wait to reveal this new series of Machinima.

DarkOddysey, Zeeke, and myself are working on this map. It might or might not be used in the actual storyline but there is a possibility.

Reactions: P.K9XDarkOdyssey

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
The Machinima will be feature on the Halo 4 Express youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Halo4Express?feature=mhee.

How about this, We give each faction a certain number of "units", where the empire would obviously have more forces than the other two. the pirates have the smallest army, but due to there strict fighting nature, they have stronger weapons, and slightly stronger. can not call in ordances, and must rely on what the found in combat.

The alliance, being better at negotiating, can call in weapons and supplies faster than the empire. They also have a slight speed boost in order to stay ahead and evade the empire at each turn.

The empire, having an overall higher population gets a +2 advantage in all combat scenrios, except when defending. In which case they have what is present on location. Due to having a standing military, they have a large cache of generic weapons (AKA: BR, DMR, AR, ect...), as well as being equiped with bullet proof armor, they have a slight boost in damage resistance, and shield regeneration technology.

As Factions take over regions, they may take away from from other factions abilities. EX: If the Alliance loses ground, there ordance drops decrease due to less supply from some of their caches having been taken. Pirates get Same power weapons, but in less quantity at start of round, and with less ammo.If Empire loses ground, then they lose their population bonus. Also, if certain regions are taken over that "host" their research and development for armor and shielding, then their advantage is weakened, where as the faction that took it over is increased.

Special Operations units get choice of Weapons, armor abilities, and armor modifiers (Damage boost, Speed boost, overshields). They also have trait zones for them that give them good camo.
Due to them getting trait zone affects that will not effect their regular unit counter parts, each faction will be assigned 2 team colors. One for Regular units, the other for SpecOps units. This will equal out to being a total of 6 team colors. Be sure to emphasize that their team, is not just their color, but one other aswell. SpecOps units max out at 4 players in large maps, and 2 in small maps.

Thats all I have for now as ideas.

The Machinima will be feature on my (Halo 4 Express) you tube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Halo4Express?feature=mhee.

How about this, We give each faction a certain number of "units", where the empire would obviously have more forces than the other two. the pirates have the smallest army, but due to there strict fighting nature, they have stronger weapons, and slightly stronger. can not call in ordances, and must rely on what the found in combat.

The alliance, being better at negotiating, can call in weapons and supplies faster than the empire. They also have a slight speed boost in order to stay ahead and evade the empire at each turn.

The empire, having an overall higher population gets a +2 advantage in all combat scenrios, except when defending. In which case they have what is present on location. Due to having a standing military, they have a large cache of generic weapons (AKA: BR, DMR, AR, ect...), as well as being equiped with bullet proof armor, they have a slight boost in damage resistance, and shield regeneration technology.

As Factions take over regions, they may take away from from other factions abilities. EX: If the Alliance loses ground, there ordance drops decrease due to less supply from some of their caches having been taken. Pirates get Same power weapons, but in less quantity at start of round, and with less ammo.If Empire loses ground, then they lose their population bonus. Also, if certain regions are taken over that "host" their research and development for armor and shielding, then their advantage is weakened, where as the faction that took it over is increased.

Special Operations units get choice of Weapons, armor abilities, and armor modifiers (Damage boost, Speed boost, overshields). They also have trait zones for them that give them good camo.
Due to them getting trait zone affects that will not effect their regular unit counter parts, each faction will be assigned 2 team colors. One for Regular units, the other for SpecOps units. This will equal out to being a total of 6 team colors. Be sure to emphasize that their team, is not just their color, but one other aswell. SpecOps units max out at 4 players in large maps, and 2 in small maps.

Sounds like a good idea but I think it is overcomplicated. We need to make sure every battle is not only flexible but plays differently. For example, the first week can be slayer but the next one could be dominion. We also want the audience/players to feel like they have a unique aspect that strength to changing the story. Keeping their roles as unrigid as possible allows each individual to battle with their loadouts. We can also say that the roles change depending on the story, for example one week they can be special operatives and another week there in a huge battle and a soldier with the boots in the mud. Saying there's different special ops units gave me an idea, we can have different pirate groups and sometimes they can fight each other. But ultimately that depends on the story. We can definitely have one battle that is like your idea but changing the game type and map per week allows more flexibility to story and players/audience.

What does everyone think about the battles? Should they vary extremely differently per week, should they basically be the same, or should there be a balance between the both? I am personally for variation as maximum priority but I want the community to create this more than me.

Reactions: Zeezke99
Also, I was wondering if us creators should host different lobbies and use victories as votes?

I think it's too much work for a week maybe we should have multiple battles and that can give us more results as to where the story should go.

Should we have smaller battles at the beginning or try to fill up the lobby always?

We need to get the input of the others that joined us and decide more story things. Story is the big picture that will help us fill in the details of the battles. We should try to see what other forage maps exist that we can use.

Golophin087

Novice
Jan 13, 2013
Smaller battles at the beginning and the reason being this.

Most pirate groups don't start off large when they first start working a particular area. We can slowly start filling the lobby as they achieve victories to make it seem more realistic that the pirates are gaining in strength. But also since this isn't a military objective, the Imperials won't have that large a garrison either.

So I propose that during a battle, there should be more Imperials than Pirates in a few battles, then we slowly start evening out as we go along. The Pirates, of course, will be better armed from a black market which will compensate for their lack of numbers. The Imperials will have standard weaponry of different classes. I believe my frigate map will work best for this purpose.

After we finish it we can hold a testing session on the weekend to see how it goes. It shouldn't take us but a few more days to finish that map at best, if not we can always prolong the testing.

Last night I thought of a lot of ideas for the web series. Here's my idea for characters and story:

Characters:
1. Prologue protagonist: The Spider Knight (a mysterious bad pass knight that went rogue) (I call Debs on being the actor for this character)
2. Pirate protagonist: Capt. Chick (The daughter of the best Pirates, with her own crew)
3. Antagonist: Emperor Tyranness (the power-hungry and greedy Emperor of the empire)
4. Alliance character: General Happy (the over serious general who is never happy)
5. Empire antagonist: President Resident (the over patriotic president who wants the galaxy's freedom and alliance law at all costs, he also dislikes Pirates)
6. Empire character: Dr. Sketch (A sketchy fellow who is also the chief scientist of the empire who might be planning his own schemes.)
7. Refugee character: Janitor Mike (The only known survivor at the wrecking yard depending on the prologue's battle.)

Story: (if you do not want spoilers, then do not highlight below because the information is in black font)

1. Prologue level:
Summary: The Spider Knight introduces the universe and gets into an argument with Dr. Sketch because The Spider Knight killed someone who became a zombie. Dr. Sketch is determined that he can control the zombies but The Spider Knight leaves planning to return to destroy the magical rock that turns people into zombies.
Level: a modified version of Space Line 2, without the Cat Pirate ship
Game type: Flood variation, with personal load outs (the scientists and staff tried to survive with what they have) and weapons on map

2. The Pirates Raid
Summary: We get introduced to Capt. Chick who plans to raid a wrecking yard but little does she know that a special operative empire group has been sent to secure and retrieve the magical rock at all costs.
Level: Space Line 2
Game type: infinity slayer

3. The Magical Rock
Summary: If Pirates win, they take the magical rock back to their pirate community that gets attacked by a alliance ship. If the empire wins, then they take it to a nearby facility that the alliance attacks.
Level: (pirate victory) The Frigate, (Empire victory) (I forgot the name for the map but it was created by IAMAGUN)
Game type: (pirate victory) unselected, (Empire victory) dominion

4. Crashed and Stranded
Summary: As the losing party (Pirates lose or if we do not play on The Frigate) tries to escape they crash land on a abandoned or inhabited planet. (Pirates lose) The Pirates manage to bring the magical rock with them but the empire comes down too in a three-way fight begins. (Pirate victory or if we do not play on The Frigate) The Spider Knight comes to the pirate community and explains what's going on… maybe this'll end with a fight between the two pirate groups or peacefully. There is one option I have not yet put down but I do not remember what it is.
Level: wreckage, exile, or a custom map on Ravine, (If we can or want do two battles, which I think could happen in pirate victory and/or the Frigate does not happen) the Frigate modified to just be the pirate community
Game type: Slayer or a objective game type

5. City level
Summary: The stories and characters start to get close to the climax. The final battle is occurring in either the capital of the alliance or empire depending on who is victorious. The rock is being brought over to the winning capital. The Pirates are on the way but this is a battle purely between the alliance and empire
Level: City of Lunar Centauri (mod)
Game type: unselected, which means anything

6. The Cleansing
Summary: the rock is transported towards or stays at the capital of the winning team of the last battle. the leader of the winning side becomes the ultimate zombie and now the Pirates with a larger force are the only ones between the zombies and humans salvation.
Level: City of Lunar Centauri (mod) (If the capital stays the same), a forged city map if the capital is changing
Game type: Flood variant, personal load outs with weapons on map and a alpha zombie that is ridiculously powerful and feels like a boss battle but the other zombies should remain the same as normal zombies, victory happens when Alpha zombie is dead or when all the humans died

7. Ending
Summary: (Pirates victory) The Spider Knight and Capt. Chick becomes the rulers of the galaxy and finally create peace. Whichever side the capital is not on is going downhill but some remains of both factions exist. The magical rock is destroyed but Dr. Sketch is still alive and he could be scheming something else for season two. (Zombie victory) Season two may look like it's going to be a post-apocalyptic future but The Spider Knight activates a nuke which blows himself and all the other zombies. Whichever side this capital is on is severely weakened and near the point of defeat. Also, the magical rock stays intact and Dr. Sketch finds it.

This is all up to change and a lot of holes needs to be fixed but I think this is a good plot and structure for an epic series.

Reactions: IAMAGUN15

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
The Machinima will be feature on the Halo 4 Express youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Halo4Express?feature=mhee.

sounds great just one question
how the hell are we gonna get that to work in an actual game cause im pretty sure that you cant customize specific classes speed, damage or sheilds

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
Last night I thought of a lot of ideas for the web series. Here's my idea for characters and story:

Characters:
1. Prologue protagonist: The Spider Knight (a mysterious bad pass knight that went rogue) (I call Debs on being the actor for this character)
2. Pirate protagonist: Capt. Chick (The daughter of the best Pirates, with her own crew)
3. Antagonist: Emperor Tyranness (the power-hungry and greedy Emperor of the empire)
4. Alliance character: General Happy (the over serious general who is never happy)
5. Empire antagonist: President Resident (the over patriotic president who wants the galaxy's freedom and alliance law at all costs, he also dislikes Pirates)
6. Empire character: Dr. Sketch (A sketchy fellow who is also the chief scientist of the empire who might be planning his own schemes.)
7. Refugee character: Janitor Mike (The only known survivor at the wrecking yard depending on the prologue's battle.)

Story: (if you do not want spoilers, then do not highlight below because the information is in black font)

1. Prologue level:
Summary: The Spider Knight introduces the universe and gets into an argument with Dr. Sketch because The Spider Knight killed someone who became a zombie. Dr. Sketch is determined that he can control the zombies but The Spider Knight leaves planning to return to destroy the magical rock that turns people into zombies.
Game type: Flood variation, with personal load outs (the scientists and staff tried to survive with what they have) and weapons on map

2. The Pirates Raid
Summary: We get introduced to Capt. Chick who plans to raid a wrecking yard but little does she know that a special operative empire group has been sent to secure and retrieve the magical rock at all costs.

3. The Magical Rock
Summary: If Pirates win, they take the magical rock back to their pirate community that gets attacked by a alliance ship. If the empire wins, then they take it to a nearby facility that the alliance attacks.
Level: (pirate victory) The Frigate, (Empire victory) (I forgot the name for the map but it was created by IAMAGUN)

4. Crashed and Stranded
Summary: As the losing party (Pirates lose or if we do not play on The Frigate) tries to escape they crash land on a abandoned or inhabited planet. (Pirates lose) The Pirates manage to bring the magical rock with them but the empire comes down too in a three-way fight begins. (Pirate victory or if we do not play on The Frigate) The Spider Knight comes to the pirate community and explains what's going on… maybe this'll end with a fight between the two pirate groups or peacefully. There is one option I have not yet put down but I do not remember what it is.
Level: wreckage, exile, or a custom map on Ravine, (If we can or want do two battles, which I think could happen in pirate victory and/or the Frigate does not happen) the Frigate modified to just be the pirate community

5. City level
Summary: The stories and characters start to get close to the climax. The final battle is occurring in either the capital of the alliance or empire depending on who is victorious. The rock is being brought over to the winning capital. The Pirates are on the way but this is a battle purely between the alliance and empire

6. The Cleansing
Summary: the rock is transported towards or stays at the capital of the winning team of the last battle. the leader of the winning side becomes the ultimate zombie and now the Pirates with a larger force are the only ones between the zombies and humans salvation.
Level: City of Lunar Centauri (mod) (If the capital stays the same), a forged city map if the capital is changing
Game type: Flood variant, personal load outs with weapons on map and a alpha zombie that is ridiculously powerful and feels like a boss battle but the other zombies should remain the same as normal zombies, victory happens when Alpha zombie is dead or when all the humans died

7. Ending
Summary: (Pirates victory) The Spider Knight and Capt. Chick becomes the rulers of the galaxy and finally create peace. Whichever side the capital is not on is going downhill but some remains of both factions exist. The magical rock is destroyed but Dr. Sketch is still alive and he could be scheming something else for season two. (Zombie victory) Season two may look like it's going to be a post-apocalyptic future but The Spider Knight activates a nuke which blows himself and all the other zombies. Whichever side this capital is on is severely weakened and near the point of defeat. Also, the magical rock stays intact and Dr. Sketch finds it.

This is all up to change and a lot of holes needs to be fixed but I think this is a good plot and structure for an epic series.

Characters:

1. Prologue level:

2. The Pirates Raid

3. The Magical Rock

4. Crashed and Stranded

5. City level

6. The Cleansing

7. Ending

This is all up to change and a lot of holes needs to be fixed but I think this is a good plot and structure for an epic series
that sounds very good but i do think that we need to discuss this further
i have made some notes regarding the rebels (alliance) as well as the pirates (one of which may go through a slight name change to lower the cliche factor)
specifically i wanted to have a faction much like the 300 in that they are bred and trained for war, they would be mostly assassins and hitmen
they are proficient with precision weapons and can disappear into the shadows when needed
due to their factions strict military training they can only use single shot weapons (DMR, magnum, sniper) that make as little flash as possible as to help conceal the shooter's location
however because they are so quick and stealthy they also die quicker with only half shields to the cloaked assassins

unfortunately allot of this stuff isn't even possible in forge so it will definitely be interesting to see how this turns out
anyways odyssey and zeezk if you guys want to talk more about this than i will be available pretty much any time you're ready to discuss this further

I have more information about the characters also, right now it's on a Celtx document, so I'll post the information separately.

Also, why I do not want the factions to be no stricter than team colors is because it is very difficult to set up and you'll make the audience/players feel more like the heard then a real force to changing the outcome. I like the uniqueness of the individual and the less we narrow down on the factions, the more open choices in customization we can add to make each experience unique. If we are going to have an battle with stealth operatives, we should just make it a unique game type, like a modified version of SWAT or slayer.

Thinking of how the factions work differently is interesting but maybe that's something we can tackle in a different season or a specific battle.

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
I have more information about the characters also, right now it's on a Celtx document, so I'll post the information separately.

Also, why I do not want the factions to be no stricter than team colors is because it is very difficult to set up and you'll make the audience/players feel more like the heard then a real force to changing the outcome. I like the uniqueness of the individual and the less we narrow down on the factions, the more open choices in customization we can add to make each experience unique. If we are going to have an battle with stealth operatives, we should just make it a unique game type, like a modified version of SWAT or slayer.

Thinking of how the factions work differently is interesting but maybe that's something we can tackle in a different season or a specific battle.
herd not heard
Sincerely the grammar forge nazi

Essias

C'est la vie, mon ami
Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles
My friend and I were discussing something like this for ForgeHub a few years back. The main issue is planning out all outcomes versus having a quick and consistent timetable. For example, it'd either cost a ton of money paying writers and animators overtime were Spartan Ops interactive via choices (as they'd plan eveything out) or it would take months for each weekly installment to come out in order to adjust to the choices made in the previous entry.

Good luck guys.

Well, you will not have to pay me to write. I'm going to try to make the talking scenes as simple as possible and were talking about the cut scenes ZEEZKE99 and I were talking about the cut scenes, the ending scene with a nuke is going to be the most complex one to make but we think we can do it. Also, I want to make every battle just have an A and B option. One thing I realized is that Spartan ops would be a lot better if they had a 5 to 1 minute in game cut scene before and after a chapter showing our Spartans. I was thinking that we would show the VIP of the previous match in the next episode.