Halo Coming Soon...TheHaloInfection

What do want to see on TheHaloInfection

• Total voters

Absentduck

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Lancashire
What exactly is TheHaloInfection? Maybe i'm just being stupid but it doesn't seem to explicitly say anywhere: is it a YouTube channel, a custom lobby, a clan, a website, a thread...?
YouTube channel and thread and custom lobbies. Thread (if we meet requirements of HaloCustoms), custom lobbies we will look at any map you want and youtube channel coming soon. Our email is [email protected]

Reactions: Rabid MidgetMan

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That would be hillarious to watch, but i doubt anyone would submit their maps. With good reason too because if someone points out every flaw in your map in its feature video then very few will bother to download it, and those who do will be fixated on the bad parts while playing it.

If they did this with maps which were already popularized and well known, perhaps the matchmaking maps like 'Settler' (my GOD that is a terrible map) then they wouldn't really be hurting anyone, I'd watch that :)
Well, you'd probably want to work with unfinished maps to maintain a positive, constructive undertone. You could even run a second show that showcased maps after they'd been finished, demonstrating the improvements.

As for the MM maps, they were forged by community members (well, the forged ones) so you'd be taking shots at the community leaders that got shipped to 343 to try out Forge pre-launch, and you'd run out of maps pretty quickly. And it wouldn't really have much of a positive message - in that the maps aren't going to be improved so it's just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Reactions: Absentduck

Absentduck

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Lancashire
Well, you'd probably want to work with unfinished maps to maintain a positive, constructive undertone. You could even run a second show that showcased maps after they'd been finished, demonstrating the improvements.

As for the MM maps, they were forged by community members (well, the forged ones) so you'd be taking shots at the community leaders that got shipped to 343 to try out Forge pre-launch, and you'd run out of maps pretty quickly. And it wouldn't really have much of a positive message - in that the maps aren't going to be improved so it's just bitching for the sake of bitching.
Yeah we don't do that :)

Reactions: WhackyGordon
Apr 27, 2013
UK

Oh i didn't realise they were community forged, i assumed they were 'test runs' 343 forged on their maps, fair enough then. But I didn't get the impression you meant this to be a constructive thing lol, i thought you meant an almost 'rooster teeth rage quit' style review where someone plays it and complains about just about everything for the sake of entertainment (though with less swearing and more slightly more structured critisism). I find it hard to tell how you could make it funny if the map isn't complete since, if a map isn't finished, then it seems pointless to criticise it, unless you wanted it to be more of a do's and don'ts informative forge series. I don't know, it doesn't look like they are going to take this angle anyway, interesting idea though.

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh i didn't realise they were community forged, i assumed they were 'test runs' 343 forged on their maps, fair enough then. But I didn't get the impression you meant this to be a constructive thing lol, i thought you meant an almost 'rooster teeth rage quit' style review where someone plays it and complains about just about everything for the sake of entertainment (though with less swearing and more slightly more structured critisism). I find it hard to tell how you could make it funny if the map isn't complete since, if a map isn't finished, then it seems pointless to criticise it, unless you wanted it to be more of a do's and don'ts informative forge series. I don't know, it doesn't look like they are going to take this angle anyway, interesting idea though.
Actually, it would be an interesting idea to use a full Masterchef style - have 'contestants' or whatever that are in the process of building a map, and the 'host' would join each player's game, point out weaknesses that need fixing and strengths that need emphasizing, in a Gordon Ramsay manner. You could set it up like a forge contest with a theme and 'feature' the winning map at the end of the show. I mean, it wouldn't serve the same purpose of drawing attention to pre-existing community content, but it would it would give attention to community members and drive interest up.

And I don't care if they want to try it or not - it's going to take having the right people on board - you wouldn't be able to pull it off if you were forcing it. I'm just hoping somebody who is up for the task comes across this and does it, because I want to watch it lol

Apr 27, 2013
UK
Actually, it would be an interesting idea to use a full Masterchef style - have 'contestants' or whatever that are in the process of building a map, and the 'host' would join each player's game, point out weaknesses that need fixing and strengths that need emphasizing, in a Gordon Ramsay manner. You could set it up like a forge contest with a theme and 'feature' the winning map at the end of the show. I mean, it wouldn't serve the same purpose of drawing attention to pre-existing community content, but it would it would give attention to community members and drive interest up.

And I don't care if they want to try it or not - it's going to take having the right people on board - you wouldn't be able to pull it off if you were forcing it. I'm just hoping somebody who is up for the task comes across this and does it, because I want to watch it lol

Haha, thats a pretty cool idea, the only problem would be finding someone who's so experienced at forging that he can give genuinely useful advice to numerous people working on numerous different maps at once. I mean he would have to be better than all of them put together. I suppose instead it could be a contest where the commentator thinks up an exact map that he wants, tells the viewers at the start, then gives a vague clue to the contestants of what the map is and they have to try and build an exact replica of it through trial and error from his hints. Sorry im not making much sense anymore >.< i think what im trying to say is if you could produce a situation where the commentator isn't just advising the contestants with what is better in his opinion, but is advising them on what is better in fact.

Okay you know what ignore all that up there, i've finally thought of something worth saying :laugh:
How about a contest where the forgers are all given the same theme or keyword (eg. 'Medieval' or 'minecraft' or 'ship') which can be interptetted in different ways, then each contestant is assigned a different gametype (Flood, KOTH, regicide etc.) and a canvas map of their choice. then as you said the commentator dropd in and looks at how each is progressing (although he would be more like an observer / interviewer than a source of infinite forging wisdom). then it'd be interesting to watch how very different maps could branch off and evolve from a single concept. Ps. The more experienced forgers would be given the harder gametypes to level it out. At the end download links are advertised for all of them and perhaps the viewers could vote for their favorite.

AzureXPD

Adept
Feb 8, 2013
Herefordshire, Britain
h, AzureXPD here, one of admins for it. TheHaoInfection is a youtube channel which we will be setting up some time within the next couple of months. Both Duckling and I have very important exams on at the moment and that is why we are not doing it now. We will be showcasing map from unknown forgers as even I get frustrated when only recognised forgers get showcased on popular channels.

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Haha, thats a pretty cool idea, the only problem would be finding someone who's so experienced at forging that he can give genuinely useful advice to numerous people working on numerous different maps at once. I mean he would have to be better than all of them put together. I suppose instead it could be a contest where the commentator thinks up an exact map that he wants, tells the viewers at the start, then gives a vague clue to the contestants of what the map is and they have to try and build an exact replica of it through trial and error from his hints. Sorry im not making much sense anymore >.< i think what im trying to say is if you could produce a situation where the commentator isn't just advising the contestants with what is better in his opinion, but is advising them on what is better in fact.
You just need the right host. A Haunted Army, SecretSchnitzel, and Overkill VR come to mind as experienced, somewhat opinionated, and competitively focused forgers that would all be excellent options. I'm sure there are dozens of other excellent candidates out there though, spread throughout the various communities.

Okay you know what ignore all that up there, i've finally thought of something worth saying :rofl:
How about a contest where the forgers are all given the same theme or keyword (eg. 'Medieval' or 'minecraft' or 'ship') which can be interptetted in different ways, then each contestant is assigned a different gametype (Flood, KOTH, regicide etc.) and a canvas map of their choice. then as you said the commentator dropd in and looks at how each is progressing (although he would be more like an observer / interviewer than a source of infinite forging wisdom). then it'd be interesting to watch how very different maps could branch off and evolve from a single concept. Ps. The more experienced forgers would be given the harder gametypes to level it out. At the end download links are advertised for all of them and perhaps the viewers could vote for their favorite.
Yeah - that's basically what I was saying. You could structure it out as a contest of sorts, with themed map sketches or rough forges submitted, voted for, and then when the top three or so are selected, they coordinate forging them the rest of the way, with the host dropping in and out of each game with commentary and advice along the way, or you could just treat it as a 'Dr. Laura' sort of thing for forging and let people bring maps they have problems with - the same general format without the contest pressure.

AzureXPD

Adept
Feb 8, 2013
Herefordshire, Britain
That would take an extremely long amount of time as you would have to create different "marking schemes" for every map because of the gametypes, this would make judging them in a fair way almost impossible. Great idea though, and I hope you enjoy mine and Duckys videos once were up and running. I will think of a way to incorporate your contest idea, maybe the theme but don't count on it due to the difficulty to judge the maps. :)

AzureXPD

Adept
Feb 8, 2013
Herefordshire, Britain
And I was playing with ducky last night and If i can remember correctly, maps would be submitted via this website, increasing the websites popularity at the same time. People would upload their map to the map section of this website and then probably send us a message to let us know. We would then look at the screenshots and information and decide whether or not its worth reviewing. As sort of an initiation stage to stop people sending us in random maps with no point like they do sometimes. I think this would work really well and it would mean we could pump out more videos per week due to reduced time looking at rubbish maps. Im estimating I, on my own, could get out 2-3maps per week and i don't know about ducky. See y'all soon!!

Reactions: Rabid MidgetMan