Castle Map Pack - Daybreak [First Look]

Reposting my comments on the map from THC...

This one looks like it could at least play decently... Still too many places to as they so aptly put it; "hide". That aside, it still doesn't look like the vehicle paths are all too intuitive... Fuck sake, the lead level designer struggles with driving on it and he's the one claiming this map pack was designed to empower vehicles.

All in all, I hate both these commentators. The shit they say, especially Lori, blows my fucking mind.

Remember that the commentators here are designers, not people who are used to talking to a big audience like this. This isn't what they get payed to do and commentating probably is rather weird for them.

As for the map, it looks solid, but I'm not blown out of the water by anything. I'm still trying to get a feel for all 3, as they look pretty good but without playing them it' hard to really see how they will play out. Overall though, I think these maps are better than what we have seen from CA in the past.

Honestly, I think the only maps CA has really excelled at making were bloody remakes. :p

Some on at THC raised a curious question... If BTB makes up less than 80% of the playlists in Halo, why is there such a need for so many BTB maps? I'm terribly disappointed by the selection of 4v4 maps available... It's almost as if they intended the 4v4 community to be reliant on subpar forge maps.

Some on at THC raised a curious question... If BTB makes up less than 80% of the playlists in Halo, why is there such a need for so many BTB maps?
It is usually the most-played gametype in the U.S. - On a good night I generally see over 15,000-20,000 people on it. Compound that with the idea that there are only a few solid maps to play on, and the recent addition of the Extraction gametype. We are in some serious need of a BTB pack.

It is usually the most-played gametype in the U.S. - On a good night I generally see over 15,000-20,000 people on it. Compound that with the idea that there are only a few solid maps to play on, and the recent addition of the Extraction gametype. We are in some serious need of a BTB pack.

Do the math... How many maps are BTB vs 4v4... And no, Complex is NOT 4v4.

I think I like this one the most for this map pack! Looks sweet and has that old halo feel to it. But how does it play...

This map seems way to confined by kill boundarys for the banshee, is it really that big of deal to extend the boundarys a little bit so you don't have to go into a kill zone to turn around?

Reactions: FloydRTC95
All in all, the worst of the new maps. Perdition looks stellar, Outcast looks like it'll play pretty epically, but Daybreak? This is a terribly bland, boring excuse of a map. It's skybox is unimaginative (besides the cruiser), the vehicle paths are nothing special, the bases are dull, the vehicles are rather meager, and the Banshee is restricted. What a piece of junk.
It reminds me of Complex, though. Slightly larger than a 4v4 but not quite a BTB map. It illustrates a new mid-sized concept for maps, but obviously a prototype for these ideas. Complex could support Dominion well, but Dominion isn't supported because it's supposed to be for more 4v4 and Flood-based gameplay. This map could probably do well as a 4v4 arena, but it's slightly too large, and probably won't support Dominion well and Extraction will probably take a hit. It's a concept in it's infancy, but they need to do a better job with it.

Game just needs a permanent squad slayer and squad obj playlist. 6 v 6 is an amazing player count and all of these maps look to support it well, Perdition and Daybreak better than 8 v 8 most likely. As long as they can be played 6 v 6 I'm cool, but yeah, there needs to be something done.

Also Floyd, I'd wait to play the map before giving it so much shit. There are always things you may not catch until you play it. You may be right, but you never know for sure. As for the skybox, it's been used, but they were trying to appeal to the "classic halo canyon map" feel, which from what other people are saying they did succeed in doing.

I'd give it less shit if it wasn't the same shit we've been getting with Halo 4. Most of the maps they have are something interesting - Abandon, Adrift, Exile, Complex - these are maps that stand out because they are both aesthetically pleasing in the context of their theme, and have pretty awesome gameplay. Then you have maps like Meltdown, Vortex, and Haven - maps that could have been something amazing, and the aesthetics are pretty good, but the gameplay just isn't that great. Meltdown is beyond hectic, Vortex is almost always a KoTH over the central base and most of the outskirts get ignored, and Haven would have been a pretty awesome symmetrical small 4v4 map, but everyone and their goddamn mother picks it in matchmaking for almost every gametype and it shows that the gameplay is just unimaginative.

That's the problem with CA's maps, they're mostly bland. Perdition looks excellent, with a great aesthetic theme and it looks like it will play well. Outcast looks great aesthetically, and the gameplay won't really be a vehicle battle bonanza with all of the caves and cubby holes to get EMP'd from, it'll be mid-range to CQC through the caves and tunnels, which'll be fun. But this? Really? Daybreak shows the least imagination on the part of the developers and designers, and the result is the same shit we're used to. They shouldn't be trying to appeal to Halo fanboys and how much they like Halo's 1-3 - they're not Bungie. This doesn't mean they shouldn't make maps the community likes, it just means they should be pushing boundaries to create new maps with new feels and new gameplay, the kind of new that gets Halo players all riled up and ready to kick some ass. The Crimson map pack was generally meh, the Majestic map pack was pretty good, and the Castle pack looks like it may be leagues better than Crimson, but with one map that's kind of meh, it will suffer in comparison to the quality of Majestic.

I may be just rambling, or I may have a great point about new gameplay and maps, I don't really know at this point. It's 4:19 am and I have no coffee.

Final word of advice in general? Stop voting for Haven.
Just stop it.
Like now.
Take a Haven break for a week or so.
Your friends will thank you for it.

Reactions: like A pro