Best of Forge: 2013

Mr PokePhile and HaloCustoms present...

ocoWOFx.png

Hello ladies and gents! Welcome to the Best of Forge 2013. Now, what exactly is this "Best of Forge," you ask? It's quite simple really! Since the release of Halo 4, we've seen some truly amazing forge creations that have baffled the minds of even the most experienced forgers. Whether it's a beautifully-designed competitive slayer map that flows like water, a flood map that has managed to create an atmosphere of its own, or a mini-game so creative you just can't put your controller down - HaloCustoms, along with the wonderful Mr Pokephile, want to give these maps the spotlight and recognition they deserve.

Now, let's get to some of the details. The Best of Forge will be divided into 2 stages: the Nomination Stage and the Voting Stage. From now until November 15th, you'll be able to nominate three maps for each Best of Forge category. After nominations close, the scores will be tallied and the 5 maps (per category) with the most nominations will move on to the Voting Stage. This is where you'll vote for the maps you feel are the best of the best. After this stage ends, we'll sift through the votes and announce the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners for each category. Now, "what are these categories?" you might ask. Here, let me show you!

Best Small Team Competitive
Best Big Team Competitive
Best Flood
Best Race
Best Mini-Game
Best Overall

The "Overall" category is highlighted for a reason. Any maps you nominated in other categories are still eligible for Best Overall, so don't fret!

Nominating Maps
We want this to be an all-encompassing event, so that we can rightfully say these maps are truly the best of the best in Halo 4 forge. In order for this to happen, we've opened up nominations beyond just the extent of maps posted on HaloCustoms. The only requirements for a map nomination are a Waypoint link, and a link to either 1) a YouTube video of the map, or 2) a map thread on any Halo forum. Also, don't let the "2013" fool you - any map forged since Halo 4's release is eligible for nomination.

Staff Customs Event!
What's an official HaloCustoms event without some sort of customs aspect to go along with it, right? As some of you may have noticed, Tedium has ever so slightly been hinting at a new Staff-Community event. Well, here it is! Once we get to the Voting Stage, the HaloCustoms staff will divide up and hold Best of Forge lobbies for the different categories. For instance, Psychoduck and Flying Shoe ILR may host a BTB lobby and play the top 5 maps in the Big Team Competitive voting category, while Elliot and Robius5991 host a Best of Flood lobby. By playing the maps before voting, this should help you decide which maps you think deserve it most! We'll have more info on this as the Voting Stage rolls around.

That's a wrap folks! We hope you're as excited about this as we are. It's always a treat to take a look back at all the awe-inspiring creations that forgers have been coming up with this past year. Now, get to nominating those maps!

Update! The 4v4 Competitive category has now been changed to Small Team Competitive to include 1v1 and 2v2 maps. :)

Well, to put it bluntly, the point of the Best of Forge is for people to nominate the maps that they feel are truly the best forge creations in Halo 4. Those maps that, after you play them, you wonder just how the forger pulled off such an innovating map; a map that you always want to go back to and play more because you just can't get enough. This was in no way meant to be a "popularity contest." After all, there's no prize for the winners because that's not what the competition is about. The sole purpose behind this competition is nominating maps that you sincerely think are the best of the best. In all honesty I wouldn't even call this a competition, as that implies that you specifically are competing against others. So instead of shamelessly promoting our own maps to raise that almighty download count (as all forgers are wont to do), this is an event where, just this once, we should stop thinking of ourselves and instead think back to those maps that you had a sincerely amazing time playing - the maps that left you in awe or inspired in you in some way.

If you really do think your map(s) deserve the title of "Best of Forge," then more power to you. If not, however, then you should reconsider your reasoning behind nominating your own maps.

I just fiercely hope people won't be nominating their own maps the whole time.
Too late. Lol. I just looked through the nominations and about 75% people just nominated their best maps. It's sad. I have no idea why you can nominate your own maps. It just ruins the idea of actually deserving to win. And for that reason, I will not participate or nominate any maps.

Too late. Lol. I just looked through the nominations and about 75% people just nominated their best maps. It's sad. I have no idea why you can nominate your own maps. It just ruins the idea of actually deserving to win. And for that reason, I will not participate or nominate any maps.

A lot of people are getting confused about The Best of Forge and the self-nomination thing. The number of nominations is irrelevant. It wouldn't work to make the amount of nominations better your chance of winning, even if we made it so you can't nominate your own maps. Heres why:

1. People would just get their friends to nominate them.
2. People would make secondary accounts.
3. There would be way to large of spread to get any conclusive data.

What were going to do is go through all of the nominations and pick 5 from each pool that we feel are truly the best. Out of those 5 maps for each pool, everyone will be able to vote.

Reactions: Zandril
If the nomination count doesn't matter, then how would getting your friends to nominate you even help? Making second accounts wouldn't help that either cause only one nomination is needed. I really don't get this.

If the nomination count doesn't matter, then how would getting your friends to nominate you even help? Making second accounts wouldn't help that either cause only one nomination is needed. I really don't get this.
I suppose it's a little bit of both. 'Getting' your friends to nominate it will inxrease the map's chances at the judging panel, but only if it's actually a great map?

No. I was explaining things that would happen IF people were not allowed to nominate their own maps. Getting your friends to nominate your map will help just the same as nominating it yourself. The point of this "contest" is to find the best maps on Halo 4. The point of having "Nominations" is so we can have more maps, maps that might not have been submitted otherwise.

For example - someone plays a map they REALLY like and they feel that it truly is the best map they've seen in Halo 4, they are able to nominate it. They don't need the map author to submit it to see it win. The core function of this "contest" is to simply find the best maps AS a community.

I suppose it's a little bit of both. 'Getting' your friends to nominate it will inxrease the map's chances at the judging panel, but only if it's actually a great map?

Nothing will increase your chances at the judging panel besides the map itself. This "contest" is about the maps, not the authors. It's about finding the best maps on Halo 4 as a community.

See above - I explain the nomination theory a little more.

Let me break it down a little further:

Here's how it all works,

1. People nominate maps, more maps the better.

2. A team of qualified judges (1 Team per category) will go through all the nominations and select 5 maps per pool.

3. We will come back with those 5 maps per pool and allow everyone to vote once per category.

4. The maps with the most votes win.

I
i don't mind that people are nominating there own maps. I myself am not planning on nominating any maps because it is too hard for me to pick out my favorite maps in halo 4. The people are just trying to make a better name for themselves by "submitting" there maps.

I
i don't mind that people are nominating there own maps. I myself am not planning on nominating any maps because it is too hard for me to pick out my favorite maps in halo 4. The people are just trying to make a better name for themselves by "submitting" there maps.
Yeah, which I think is lame. It's like "You know what? There are so many good maps in Halo 4, but fuck it. Imma just nominate my own anyway because I'm afraid I'll be left out and I only care about myself".
Just. So selfish.

Reactions: Charles Stoot
Yeah, which I think is lame. It's like "You know what? There are so many good maps in Halo 4, but fuck it. Imma just nominate my own anyway because I'm afraid I'll be left out and I only care about myself".
Just. So selfish.

Guess when you say it that way I am selfish.

Like some wise person said a few days ago on Halo Customs. "If you think your map is the best of Forge then Summit it". Don't Summit it if you just want people to download it, you want a feature, or you think you have a slim chance of getting nominated in the top 5. I Posted mine, not because I thought they where the best. but I know for a fact that they are the "Best of Forge". This is NOT A COMPETITION and should not be viewed as one by the eyes of those who summit maps, if you think this is a Competition i'm Sorry but you are strongly mistaken. If you play your see other people play your maps in there lobbies over and over again, then they is a good summit-ion. If you and your friends are the only one that play the map over and over again, this does not classify. Sure if you think it is the best and you enjoy it, fine post it; but remember this BEST OF FORGE. I know after me saying this some of you may think I selfish and a Dick. Well you can think that but that's what this Competition is trying to imply. Just read the title BEST OF FORGE. Like the Emmys, except for halo.